Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Moving from S-RAM X5/DB3 to Shimano XT…
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’m sure this has been done before. I’ve searched but not found what I’m looking for but I’m happy to be pointed at any pre-existing relevant info.

I am buying a bike with SRAM kit but I prefer all my bikes to have the same brakes (but not too fussed about gear systems)

Shifters and mechs are X-5, brakes are DB3 so I assume they are on separate clamps. My plan is to remove the DB3 brakes new, sell them and replace them with XT. Then when either the rear mech or one of the shifters breaks I’ll replace rear mech, front and rear shifter with XT clamping direct to the XT brakes.

My plan is to keep the SRAM front mech – last time I messed about with mixing systems was in 9sp and SRAM/Shimano were compatible at the front. Are they still compatible?

Next question is around the chain – it’s currently a SRAM 10sp chain, cassette and chain rings. Is this all still compatible with Shimano? So would the SRAM chain and cassette work OK with a Shimano rear mech?

Finally the X-5 chainset is 36/22 with a SRAM HDM (38T max) front mech. What will probably happen is that I’ll think about changing up to 38/24 (again personal preference and matching my other 29er), price up two new chain rings and decide I can get a complete chainset for not much more so will go to a 38/24T XT. Any issue with that?

Thanks for any input on what might seem like simple questions. If this was 9sp I’d know it all but it’s been a while.

higgo
    Free Member

Blimey… it’s looking like I might be the first person to attempt to move progressively from SRAM to Shimano.

I’ll report back over time on how it goes.

johnnystorm

I had a Canyon with Slx shifters, xt rear and xo front with a SRAM chain set. All worked fine. I’ve used kmc/Shimano/SRAM chains on bikes with all SRAM, all Shimano and mixes of both with no Ill effects. I reckon you’ll be fine. I was always a Shimano fan, my OO Fatty X5 is pretty good. Better than the x5/x7 on my spearfish from a couple of years ago.

higgo
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t expect I’ll have any problem with the X5 shifting. The last time I bought a complete new set of mechs/shifters it was X9 in 2011. It’s obviously not this simple but I expect 2015 X5 to be similar to 2013 X7 which is similar to 2011 X9.

My main reason to change is to swap the brakes out for Shimano. Two main reasons for this are:
    i) I just prefer the feel of Shimano brakes to SRAM
    ii) I don’t want to carry two different sets of spare brake pads with me – it’s almost inevitable that I’ll end up with only the wrong set on me one day.

So it’s the change to Shimano braking that’s driving the change to a Shimano drivechain.

Unless… I don’t suppose there’s any way to bolt SRAM shifters to Shimano brakes?

johnnystorm

I can relate to that, I have boxes of surplus pads I can’t vst around to shifting. I’d stick with Shimano too, Hopes can’t justify their cost and the DB3s are better than expected mind you.

higgo
    Free Member

I’m sure the DB3 are good brakes – I really liked my Elixirs on my old bike – but I want to sell them before I use them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Moving from S-RAM X5/DB3 to Shimano XT…’ is closed to new replies.