Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Moving from 3×10 speed to 2×11 speed. Worth it for or not much point.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I use my 29er MTB for both gernaral XC riding and bikepacking. As a result I will have sections where I am crawling up 20% climbs fully loaded whilst trying to keep a decent cadence and other times where I might be on a flat road section with a tail wind and want to be able to push on.

My question is whether there is significant ratios with a 2×11 setup to ensure I have the required gearing.

After a recent trip I need new c/rings, chain and cassette and was wondering whether now is a good time to do a switch if it is worth doing.

I currently run XT M785 42/32/22 with a 11-36 ratio cassette.

Not very good with ratios so apologies in advance if this is an easy one to work out.

Thanks

nedrapier

I’v e been thinking similar thoughts. I’m thinking about going down this road (or up it!)

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3383/SPA-CYCLES-TD-2-Super-Compact-Chainset-with-Zicral-Rings

I’d be sticking with 10 speed, works for me and is relatively cheap, and my shifters and mechs still work.

You could get new chainrings and a trouser guard (why the chuff not! 🙂 ) for your cranks from Zicral or TA Specialites

scotroutes

2×11 will cover 3×10 ratios, you just have bigger jumps in the cassette. If you’re fussy about cadence, this might bother you.

There are certainly deals on 11 speed stuff at the moment but I’d say that there’s no hurry to change as 10 speed will be around for years yet. Just weigh up the costs.

jonnyboi

3×10 is a wonderful thing. I’d stick with it.

brassneck

Conversely I hate 3x anything – front mech setup is much easier with a double and I think I have bandy legs as I seemed to continually put it out of true – but since going 2x (and possibly more specifically bolt on) it’s been fine.

Changed my road bike to compact for the same reason.

Your use case does say ‘triple’ though, but personally I’d take pushing occasionally when it really is 20% and spinning faster at the other end.

stevextc
    Free Member

Gut feel says no….
    1x is worth it but not really an option for you … you lose the front mech and shifter… but 3×10 to 2×11 ??? it might be no worse but new rear mech and shifters + chain = £££ with not much actual gain

My experience .. 2×10-1×10 = cheap and good but 1×10-1×11 was disappointing a and a lot of money …

I don’t know SRAM wise but Shimano wise it will be heavier as well…. as the cassettes are heavier unless you went for XTR ££££

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Plug your current setup into http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html and then see what changes will do, you might find going 1×10 with an expander kit such as http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CASTMTBCONV/stronglight-1×10-mtb-conversion-kit will suit you.

sargey2003

I went from 3 x 9 to 2 x 10 and loved it – bottom gear was still spinny and ratio jumps were fine.

Then I went to 1 x 10 with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette (and Goatlink) and I like that lots, but I wouldn’t want to pedal a load up a steep incline and I do notice the ratio jumps occasionally.

I am tempted by 1 x 11 and a 11-46 cassette.

2 x 11 for what you do sounds like it would be perfect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Moving from 3×10 speed to 2×11 speed. Worth it for or not much point.’ is closed to new replies.