Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Moving from 26in to 29in – what to expect?
  • ssjeff
    Free Member

One-on is that some boutique brand it sounds great 🙂

Ron Hill tracksters now your making me all jelly like

tazzymtb

tracksters in a lunge position just for you jeff, with added sailor pose

ssjeff
    Free Member

Ooops just need to go to the bathroom back in a mo !

tk46hal
    Free Member

:lol:29er riders are just kidding themselves. I think they’re over rated and over priced! 😆

tazzymtb

I think they’re over rated and over priced!

even worse in blue or green and owned my midgets needing a 16″ frame

tk46hal
    Free Member
    nick1962
    Free Member

Bernaard
    24 lb and 25 lb are at least 6lbs lighter than any of my bikes!
    I imagine they would both feel light in comparison but that’s not because they’re 29ers!
    I want gears and suspension,strange I know in this ever expanding world of nicheness.
    I look forward to 10 years time when 29ers are the standard and us 26 riders are the new retro nicheinistas 🙂

takisawa2

My Inbred is 24lb ss/rigid, & 27lb 1×10 & Reba Teams on. I’ve been close on 17st & not had any wheel problems. (TN719’s on XT / Pro2 & a Surly hub). It wouldnt have been the bike of choice for me a few years ago, when silly stuff at trail centres was my cup of tea. Prefer ambling & bridleways etc, these days. For that its great.

paul4stones

I do like the idea of an ever expanding niche.

bol

There has been many a ride where I’ve been the only person out of six on a 26er. Makes me feel quite rad.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Ah Nick, that’s why I always keep a 26″ FS in the shed. Cos you never know

Then when these lot have finished posing and preening over there uber niche ‘steeds’ they will turn to each other and say ‘ did you see that 26″ full Suss ride by?’
    Before putting there bikes back on the car and going home and it never seeing a trail
    8)

scottalej
    Free Member

See this thread for some responses from those that have actually tried them.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-has-actually-tried-a-29er-then/page/2

As I said ‘Don’t knock em till you’ve tried them though but unfortunately this is often the way in the UK.

My reply

I have a GF Paragon (with a 120mm fork / short stem) and a Trek (GF) Rumblefish and enjoy them both. I still have a nice collection of 26er bikes as well though.
    29ers are great for blasting over rock gardens, roots, etc
    Technical climbs are easier as they have more grip and roll over those steps that would stall a 26″ wheel.
    The 29 hardtail gives a much more comfortable ride than a 26, probably mainly due to the bigger tyres and lower tyre pressures you can use.
    Downhill confidence is greater as they feel very stable and you sit ‘in’ the bike between the wheels so it’s more difficult to go over the front.
    Most of the time you feel you’re ‘cheating’ as everything seems easier and you ride faster.
    Downsides are few. I guess they do take a bit longer to get up to speed but I’m running them both tubeless which helps. On really tight singletrack they feel a bit unwieldy and less responsive. It’s more difficult to get the wheels out of narrow ruts or gaps between rocks, etc.
    Look out for them on ebay as they can be very cheap since the UK has little interest in them at the moment. I paid about £500 for the Paragon so I figured if I didn’t like it I’d probably get my money back anyway.
    Don’t knock em till you’ve tried them though but unfortunately this is often the way in the UK.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I can remember when everyone said suspension would never catch on. It slows you down, takes power out. FS bikes don’t accelerate as fast as rigids etc etc. 🙄

I couldn’t give a toss if my bike accelerates slower because its got bigger wheels. I test rode a 29er and in my opinion the bigger wheels give a better ride for what I want and enjoy. I will never go back to 26″.

Try it, if you don’t enjoy the ride don’t buy it. but not all 29ers are the same just like 26ers.

rOcKeTdOg

scottalej – Member
    See this thread for some responses from those that have actually tried them.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-has-actually-tried-a-29er-then/page/2

that is an excellent thread, round of applause for whoever started it

thekingofsweden

@Bernard

never seen a trail 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

Had a Scandal 29er for a bit. In light, rigid SS form it was ace as a second bike. When I sold my 26″ stuff and fitted proper forks/ gears to it to use as my main bike, I was underwhelmed

It only lasted a few months before I went back to 26″

I expected a revelation – didnt get one

Bernaard
    Free Member

@thekingofsweden
    Nice video. Although I stand by what I said, and I was generalising.
    But the ones know who they are and I am sure most of us know some too
    Have a nice day I’m off to fettle with my 26″ bike 8)

_tom_
    Free Member

thekingofsweden, that looks tamer than a lap of cannock 0_0

thekingofsweden

It’s not me just a trail god a hang with 🙂

Oh and that’s a rigid 29er 😎

tazzymtb

it’s not really rigid it’s got ti truss forks and some flapping bingowingflex shock units attached to it

thekingofsweden

Still rigid 😉 ssshh x

hugor
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoRnav3S_A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hitler doesn’t like going back to his 26er.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I normally ride a Giant XTC 26er and I test rode a Giant XTC29er the other day.I was expecting much weirdness but I was surprised how normal it felt.Apart from the extra stabilty,and rolling speed it felt just right to me.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

oh no not this shit again! I can’ be arsed with reading all the posts on here! But basically expect it to be a bike, nothing more, nothing less. The wheels are a couple of inches bigger whoop di do. I have had them 29ers and basically it was like an affair you go ride it now and again but you always come back to the wife and make the best of what you have got!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Moving from 26in to 29in – what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.