Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • moving bank acc balance to credit card – possible?
  • mangoridebike

As above really – is it possible to pay off an over draft with a credit card as a short term way of avoiding overdraft fees?

Cheers

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Some new cards have low balance transfer rates (0% for 12 months etc) which normally allow overdrafts to be classed as a debt to transfer. not sure about existing cards though. Speak to you CC company.
    I’m assuming you’ve compared the apr of both?

gonefishin
    Free Member

is it possible to pay off an over draft with a credit card as a short term way of avoiding overdraft fees?

Probably but it’ll be a cash transaction so that means you’ll be charged interest from day one. I suspect it won’t be the most financially prudent move as credit card rates are typically very high and cash tranactions are rarely included in interest free deals.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you have an income ?

leave income in bank to wipe out OD

spend on CC on an interest free deal

result = debt on your CC ……

not ideal but better than an overdraft at a quid a day

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Might have to do it as a two-step shuffle:
    Balance transfer from one card to another to create a positive balance in the second card, then transfer the positive balance to your bank account.
    IIRC, there are only certain cards that allow the transfer to bank. Egg money is one. I’ve used this method previously back in the day when balance transfers were still free. Had about £30k of credit card companies’ money sat in my account offsetting my mortgage at one time 😈 … so yes, it can be done.
    Worst case is that you will incur a transfer fee.

mangoridebike

Thanks everyone

some useful ideas there

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘moving bank acc balance to credit card – possible?’ is closed to new replies.