Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Moving BACK to UK
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s that then brack?

brack
    Free Member

Chichester…..

I windsurf/ kitesurf…and most wind directions can be covered around here.

The South Downs are right on my door step….and Im still not bored of them!

Ive lost count of how many days I can be out on the Downs in the morning and then sailing in the afternoon.

All topped off with a great summer season of festivities and live music/ real ale. Good access to London should I ever feel the desire….for culture.

Oh and something happens at Goodwood every so often…. :^)

NZCol

One of the reasons I live in Wgtn is that I can ride, paddle and run offroad from my door while having a 15min commute to a very well paid job in a major city. I live in a house that is in the bush with a veiw fo the ocean and no-one near me. While I accept that you can live in some lovely places in the UK (my parents live in rural scotland and it has great riding etc from the door) given the population you’ll not be able to do all those things anywhere would be my guess but am happy to be put right. Sure I could easily live near them, buy a fantastic house but i’d be commuting at least 90mins to a ‘decent’ job. If I chose not to work then i could live anywhere – but that applies in NZ as well. If i didn;t need to work I’d probably live somewhere more rural.
    However all that said – your life is your life and if transplanting yourself halfway round the world will not change your attitude or your tolerance which always surprises me. The number of UK people who come to NZ then whinge that its not like home is amazing – i know its not like the UK surely thats why you came here ???? I’ve heard all sorts of moans about lack of choice of clothes/food/braodband providers etc etc – so what ?
    Anyway i’m sure there are lots of great places to live for happy people like all of use 🙂

alexathome
    Free Member

Molegrips – just out of interest where abouts are you in the UK?

alexathome
    Free Member

“”””Why not emigrate.. to Wales, or Scotland? Great riding, cheap(er) houses, great riding.. quiet roads, small towns, peace and quiet, did I mention the great riding? “””

And Molgrips – i’ve lived there – never again thanks.

polarisandy
    Free Member

lived NZ 2 years.
    Came back cos i’d ordered a new elise (shallow or what…) and it was ready to pick up.
    Loved NZ.
    Great people.
    Great place.
    NZ has it’s own culture, i liked it.

But did i fancy seeing my parents only twice a year?
    Do i want my kids to grow up without grandparents?
    Do i want grandparents to grow old + die having seen their grandchildren a handful of times?

NO.

I’m glad to say most of the peoples experience on here of the uk are alien to me. My experience of the UK is no traffic with mountains,lakes and sea on the doorstep. I can go out for days on end only seeing a few people. I can climb, ski, sail and be in the alps in 3 hours and see all my family in 15mins. How long from ChCh to Wannaka,Q-town, North island?

yes it’s expensive in the UK, has a high population the politicians are whores and it’s going to the dogs..but it’s home.

Incidently if you think the PC brigade is bad over here, try NZ for a while.

I dare say i would have a different perspective if i was stuck in a shitty job in a shitty city.

But i’m not.

Good luck to you. As i’m sure you know this isn’t the “truth”, it’s just my point of view.

Cheers

Andy

molgrips
    Free Member

And Molgrips – i’ve lived there – never again thanks.

Care to expand on that? Where did you live and why didn’t you like it?

I live in a city with moderate access to decent countryside and trails. Not ideal – there are nicer places I’d rather live.

NZCol

polarisandy – thanks for your post, v interesting.
    Can I ask where you have moved back to in the UK and what you do for a living ?
    PS I;m not a stalker or owt , just interested !!

Expat
    Free Member

We moved to Chch NZ 6 years back, and have no desire to live in the UK again even though i will always consider myself a yorkshire man, its crowded, trafic is manic etc the weather can be a bit trying!
    we are not close to my family so that is not an issue and my mum visits every year for 6 weeks, but she is getting on now and i do wonder what i will do when she is older and maybe sick.
    The only thing i could say i miss about the uk is the biking, i think the access to such a vast network of trails BPaths old droving tracks etc accross the moors like in the peaks and dales cannot be found anywhere in NZ – yes there are some good places but just not the same.

I am going on a visit the the UK in sept (taking the bike) i am sure i will enjoy it but be glad to get ‘home’i think like they say the grass is always greener on the other side – but it can soon go brown.

I can see your pull NZcol to be near the family, but if you have a sucesfull business here and a good life do you realy want to go back and start all over again? if i was you i would thinking about having 2-3 months back there so you get away from the holiday aspect and a bit more into life, (leave your heart out of it) do you have a business partner/good staff you can leave to keep the business ticking over? Do a house/life swap for a few months, bet there is someone on here who would hapily swap with you for a few months.

giddyrob
    Free Member

I’ve been in Welly for 5 months now. I am finding it really swings and round abouts. Expat I totally agree. There isn’t the trail network like home so kinda feels somehow limited to where you can ride. I am a graphic/web designer so technology is a big one for me so I’m finding things a bit backwards in that regard.

I’m really glad I came here but my heart is in the uk so will not be too upset to go home. Got lots more choice for bike stuff!!!!!

I wouldn’t bother going back if you have no job or anything or you will be turning straight back round.

NZCol

Expat – yep thats precisely the decision we have come to and what we’ll do is do some longer visiting trips and makemore of an effort – i didn’t go back to the UK at one point for 4 years. Anyhoo its all passed and we’re deleriously happy to be at ‘home’ again even with its foibles.
    Agree re; trail network though. There is a lot of good riding around but i definitely agree. Giddyrob if you fancy a ride then let me know, i’m in wgtn and know pretty much all the tracks as I have mapped the whole area for roganing and orienteering !!!

John_Key
    Free Member

there are no good tracks here in wellington. Move right along, nothing to see….. ➡

Expat
    Free Member

So where should us Brits in NZ ride so we can emulate the trails back home?
    Chch has a pretty good trail network in the port hills but to be honest they are not exactly technical or very exciting (after you have been riding them for a few years) Vic park doesnt count cos its mainly DH, there are some good walking tracks in the hills which are far more tech than the mtb ones but obviously i have NEVER riden these……

in Welly have only riden the Karopoti course/race (in 2.49 🙂 but there does seem to be a better trail network (manmade) than chch, but thats what the locals say, Nelson has some realy good stuff – and some big hills! Roto Vagas forest is goog but i guess after a few months it could get a bit stale, but at least the trails (some of) are challenging.

My MTB skills have deff gone downhill these last few years with no realy tech stuff to challenge me.

So the question is from a Brit point of view where should one live in NZ (Kiwi’s need not reply cos they have not experienced real trails and will be blinkered….)

But on a positive, riding is often who you are riding with, the weather, the views etc I have done back country rides staying in huts, i do a lot of racing and enjoy training so when i am out i am not always thinking about the quality of the trail. so no i wouldnt move back just for the biking. i am sure the drive to the peaks and the number of people there would make me realise how lucky i am to be living in NZ.
    I rd ride a bit as well and so faw have not had any dramas with trafic – but then i usually ride outside of rush hour.

Maybe we should have a ‘brit meet’ were we can go out and whinge about the trails.

polarisandy
    Free Member

col i’m a Dr and live in the lakes.

Anyway in the cold light of day i have to admit that… the coast experience isn’t quite the same as rolling out of bed and down to Taylor’s, the skiing isn’t quite Mt Hutt, the hills aren’t quite the Great Divide and the sailing is different from balls out, insane Skiff racing on Lytleton harbour. NZ is a truly a great place.

But there is an alternative view of the UK, admittedly a relatively privileged one, than commonly given.

I moved from 2 yrs of work and walkabout in NZ to 3 months in Putney/London, after which i quickly moved to the Lakes. My view of the UK could be quite different without my job or location.

Re the aging relatives/kids/grandkids-not seeing parents thing, it must be a really difficult decision, but for that reason alone i’m glad i came back.
    Right now, i’ve got a 3 and a 5 year old, the thought of them moving to the other side of the world at some time in the future makes me very sad. So at the moment i’ve got a very biased view of things. I guess if their prospects of living in a nice environment, good job, lifestyle schools etc etc was much better away, then i would get over it.

I heard a good cliche the other day “your kids are only loaned to you”

cheers

Andy

NZCol

Expat – as a scot with some experience of riding a lot in scotland i would say …. there isn’t really anywhere that would be classed as the same. As was said before the network of trails etc in the UK has been built up over time and NZ, as a relatively young country does not have that network. Also the geography is quite different and as a result tracks are often steep, and ruogh so are not suitable for biking. Saying that there is a lot of stuff but you have to go looking. The Karapoti area is a good example – on your eay round the course there are at least 4 off track bits of very very sweet singletrack that exist – the descent off Dopers for example has a great piece of track down the RHS as you descend – but unless you have a good map you wouldn;t know it was there, you literally have to ride through a bush to get to it !
    I’ve ridden a lot of places over the last 12 years and would say that each area has its own gems – Welly has a good network of trails, Makara Peak and also some other good stuff within a reasonable distance. It also has a lot of good cheeky trails(tm) that if you are brave you can ride (Orongorongas, Ride Track at Kaitoke etc) but i would _never_ condone that. But as you say its all different. I have ridden through the back of the Clarence – 3 days of lovely riding staying in huts thats probably as close to Scotland as I could remember. In that 3 days we also saw a grand total of 0 people.
    I’ve stayed in ChCh quite a lot as well (I worked at Mt Hutt for 2 years …) and ridden the Port Hills, as you say if thats your nearest riding then you’ll quickly tire of it. But then you have stuff up at Mt Grey, Ashley Forest, Wharfedale, Cragieburn etc not too far away, even up Windwhistle/Rakaia theres some nice stuff. Depends. Very interesting though. I was in Scotland for a month last July and rode some lovely lovely lovely stuff in Scotland, some blasts from the past, my 14hr epic on Skye was v memorable for a variety of reasons.

John_Key
    Free Member

Wellington? Well the karapoti is a road ride and not really that fun if you want something technical.
    Try Makara Peak, Wrights Hill, Mt Vic and the Southern Walkway, Carparts up in Brooklyn are all very nice tracks with a decent amount of technical challenges. Further afield there is Belmont and mt lowry/Wainuiomata which is a really gem.
    Sorry to say expat, but I found the tracks in the UK pretty benign and all a bit ho hum. No offense, but there are a lot of pretty average bridle ways which while they are good to put routes together aren’t that exciting technically wise.
    Have you been and done Wakamarina or Nydia Bay? I doubt you would fine something as technical as those trails in the UK.

NZCol

Nydia Bay – indeed – a tech fest that one
    Wakamarina – i still rate this as the most grin inducing ride in NZ
    Kill Devil – more technical than Waka and worth the pain of the climb to enjoy the descent (60 switchbacks is it ?) OMG its fun in fact, I am there from Thursday so will make a point of riding it again 🙂
    Karapoti does have a fair bit of technical stuff on it – whats the rock garden ? the bit from the top of Deadwood to TiTi inc the Devils Staircase is pretty technical.
    Expat is obviously pretty handy though with a < 3hr poti time – lots of people trash talk it but to get under 3hr is quite hard (for the record I have done 3:00:51 in the race and 2:44:00 in training 😉 – i did have 2 punctures in the race that year !)

alexathome
    Free Member

@molgrips – i lives in wales for 7 years – maninly around cardiff, and quite some time in Camarthan and Aberystwyth. I found the place to be pretty to look at, but very little to do (except in Cardiff) the sea not clean (as i surf) the beaches on the whole and by comparison to NZ dirty – the crime levels high, especially around cardiff and the schooling by comparison the nz – not good at all. Also as i was not born in Wales you are constantly made to feel like an outsider. Here for example yesterday i went riding in the Hunua ranges met a kiwi who invited me to stay at his ‘batch’ whilst on my forthcoming cycle tour, walked from my house to a quite beach where my son played in the 22 degree pacific for an hour then had a BBQ in the sun in shorts and flip-flops in our garden that you could of fitted 5 of our old house in – and we discussed it again and decided no we won’t be leaving soon.

Expat
    Free Member

Yes Karapoti is a gravel rd with 3 big hills and a few good bits in between but i have only ever been to welly to race not to explore.
    Re the UK tracks – you musent of looked very hard! Wakamarina gravel rd to trail head, walking track climb which turns into hike a bike to the summit – yes nice decent with a lot of switch backs through the forest though, hardly that technical though.

my memories of the peaks are being able to ride a differant 30mile loop eack weekend (none of this out&back stuff)and if you know where to look some prety hairy stuff thats all natural, but then the BP are usually full of the red sock brigade and if you dont get to the carpark at ladybower before 9am its full!

NZCol

As i say, the trail network in the UK is far superior to NZ and until the end of time always will be, when you have a population of 65mill (ish I think) compared to a population of 4mill and a landmass thats almost the same size (? guessing there though).
    Saying that, i can get to places quickly due to the fact no-one really lives here 🙂

Expat
    Free Member

So next time i am heading through welly Col i will mail you and you can show me some of wellys hiden gems – thats if you havent scarpered back to blighty.

Expat
    Free Member

Ha ha Col my 1st Karapoti i did 3:00.12 bugger, 3 of us came out of the gorge together they just got a gap on me, and my tired cramped legs just couldnt get back on……. 2nd time i had trained for it hence the time. understand it was a bit ‘wet’ this year, next year i will do my age group – might get on the podium:-) dont fancy the warmup climb with 1000 riders in front of me though…… 2:44 is reasonably handy though.

NZCol

Expat – do that for sure always keen for a ride and fishnchipper will be as well assuming he hasn’t broken another bike (!)
    I’ve no idea how those boys do 2:15 etc – how ??? I’m no bunny and even getting under 3 is hard work no matter what condition the track is in ! My 2:44 was one of those gem dry fast days with no issues and just on fire. Never again. Honestly the singletrack in there is soooo good , esp the Dopers DH which is hidden, its an absolute cracker and brings you right out at the river as well. Anyway yeah drop me a line, I am also going to be in ChCh quite a lot in the next 6 months so we can go ride aruond there as well …. i have lots of access out tyhe back of Mt Somers etc as friends own a few stations out there…

John_Key
    Free Member

fishnchipper is now John key

NZCol

Thought so 😉

Inzane
    Free Member

Expat. You need to get out of town some more. There is fantastic technical riding about 1 hour out of Chch. I am sure that many people in many places in the world travel a lot longer than that to get to technical riding.

The Port hills are nice to have an after work blast on, or if pushed for time on the weekend… but the riding out Mt Grey, Mt Thomas, Mt Oxford, Craigieburn, Mt Hutt is awesome. Only thing is you might have to learn to hike-a-bike to get to some of the best stuff… Most of these rides I ride as loops.

If you have a bit more time then Croesus, Kirwans, Waiuta etc are good riding. Nelson Blenheim is fantastic with Nydia, Wakamarina, Whites Bay, peaking ridge, Hackett/Browning and Kill devil to name a few.

The other place I really enjoy riding is Alexandra, but you need a local to show you where the trails go (not that they are hidden, just there are tracks everywhere and you need to know which one to follow.

kiwijohn

Kill Devil Hill, now that takes me back. Must be 12 years since I rode that hill.
    If you’re driving through Blenheim looking for a ride, head out to Whites bay & do the Mt Robertson loop, now that is technical.
    Edit; I knew inzane would stick his oar in while I was typing that.

Inzane
    Free Member

Oh and I have not done Karapoti since 94. Was on a rigid heavy steel bike, thumbshifters, cantilever brakes etc. Did a 3.05, but possibly could have done something quicker if my rear derailleur had not blown apart halfway through…

NZCol

yeah yeah yeah we all have stories like that 😉 😛
    I did a 3:45 the year, and this is true, i got a puncture on big ring just after TiTi, tried my pump which promptly shot its guts out into the bushes ! Eventually managed to persuade someone to lend me a pump. Halfway up Dopers my chain snapped and it too went the way of the bushes and for the life of me i could not find it so I ended up frewheeling from Dopers all the way to the finish – nightmare ! Truly is a great race ina sort of brutal way.

Expat
    Free Member

Yea i do need to get out more, but 2 small kids sort of stuffs up weekend/long day epics – i could just go for it but the fall out with er indoors could be messy 🙁 moral of biking story – dont have kids. IMHO

Inzane
    Free Member

yeh, I hear ya. Many of my mates are getting sprogged up too…

I have managed to avoid that trap so far…

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Coming late to this thread and strongly identifying with it. I moved to WA so my wife could be near her family and for a better life. My folks are in the states and family in the UK wasn’t a hold for me but I really miss my best mate. And there are many aspects of the UK that I miss. Probably more that I don’t but what I wouldn’t give for a crisp clear winter morning in the Scottish highlands just once in a while.

I could never have in the UK what I have here. There are downsides tho and alexathome I so agree with the driving / hoons thing. In the end there’s always a compromise but I set my mind that this was not a trial, it’s a long term thing and any other attitude would set me up to fail or at least be unhappy. For others leaving family behind you have a harder decision.

DrJ

I’ve lived abroad for about 14 years and I’d say that the thing that tempts me to live back in the UK is not the scenery – though I miss it like hell – it is the people, and the feeling that you are understood and can be understood. Not (just) the language, but the priorities, the sense of humour, the culture. When I go back it is really nice to be able to share a joke, share a comment with a stranger, and not be looked at like a space invader.

repatriot
    Free Member

Been watching this thread and i too can identify with it.
    Having lived in WA for the last decade but now back in the UK for the last 18 months. Moved back for many reasons, family mainly as they are getting on in years. My dad died last year and at least I got to spend some time here with him. We have 2 young kids who he might never of seen.
    Our experiences and reasons are probably different from all yours but the crux of it all is we choose to live along way from our homes family and culture for the hope of a better life for ourselves and our children and we don’t realise how hard that is until you have done it and for many years. My aunty was a £10 pom and has lived in OZ for 40 years and is still home sick!
    We thought the best thing for us was to move back while the kids are young and to know where we came from and to know there grandparents. It has been a very hard road and now we are here i am pleased we did it but i also know that having lived away for so long i have changed and i don’t see us staying here for ever and that we will one day return to OZ because it was a better life. We live in a small village on the edge of the Peaks and its is beautiful but it is a bit of a gold fish bowl from the rest of the country!

NZCol

Well i thought i would revive this subject as it still rumbles along in our life.
    I've now been backwards and forwards 3 times this year and quite simply – its too hard. Flying for 32 hours to get somewhere for a max of 10-14 days to fly back to go back to work is really really hard work. Chuck in the fact that this has consumed all the available time off i could possibly get from my business i now have no holiday time with my wife (who hasn;t been able to come with me both the last 2 times) and realistically i can't run a business like this, take months of time off and balance life as well.
    Other factor have been brought into play like having children and proximity to grandparents etc which mean that being halfway round the world might not entirely suit us.
    We've thought long and hard about the pros and cons – trust me, we have a fantastic life here and there are a page full of cons with not so many pros. However the relative weighting of the pros might tip the balance – we're still on the fence.
    I guess the struggle for me is the thought of starting again – mates, job (have run my own businesses for the last 7 years), lifestyle etc EEEeeek but then other parts of it interest me. We've agreed it would be Scotland if we do it and poss somewhere nr family so Fife, would involve commuting for us but would hopefully be a new exciting chapter. Main thing is i don't think despite our earlier thoughts that we can straddle the gap very easily…..

chewkw
    Free Member

NZCol,

Basically you are home HOME SICK. You nancy boy. Stop romanticising about a perfect place to live. There is no such place.

If you have a dual citizenship then by all means come back as your heart is no longer there. You will not be happy if do not try to give it a second chance. I bet it will only take a slight trigger of something negative and you will be off again to NZ but this time for good. However, before that you just have to do the hard work by coming back to "taste" it yourself once again with your wife.

It is not a long term holiday you know … it is a commitment to settle down in one place and to accept the place as it is. No point talking about lacking this or that if you are not willing to put in an effort to settle your heart.

What is all these relatives etc about? Did you not go to NZ knowing you were going to leave them behind? Why attach to them when you are going to start your own family soon? Grandparents? Then get the grandparents over to NZ instead if they are so important to the kids? Otherwise, come back for a visit from time to time.

As for running business from abroad you can still do it if you organise yourself properly. Internet technology useful? What business are you in anyway?

So to sum up …

1) You found a place for "long term holiday" in NZ.

2) Tried to settle there but homesick.

3) Come up with excuses of family etc.

4) The bottom line – your heart has never left UK but only temporarily.

5) You can afford to move around as you wish.

😯

alexathome
    Free Member

Stop whinging NZcol, summers coming soon, and you do live in christchurch so it must be pretty chilly. If you are going back i'll have first dibs on your patio heater.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Before we moved to Australia, (almost 3 years ago), I spoke to a woman back in the UK. She had moved to Australia with her family years ago, couldn't really settle after giving it a few years here, and moved back to the UK. They actually found it quite difficult to settle in the UK after spending so much time away.

We have flown back a few times, and apart from our families, there wasn't a lot that we missed back in the UK, and just wanted to get back to Aus.

I work in the mining industry here, and work is very good, and picking up quickly again. If I was back in the UK, I would almost certainly be out of work.

I lived in central QLD for 2 years, and it was very quiet, so I can imagine what life would be like in parts of NZ. Once we moved to Brisbane, things picked up a lot for us, and the family are a lot more settled.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Hey NZCol. I'm in Aus, and whilst I would never consider going 'home' I can empathise with you.
    Over here, there is a culture, but it's a one trick culture – If you go out for an Indian, it's an Aussie who'll serve you. If it's theatre then it's probably something distinctly aussie. Indeed I don't enjoy Aussie dramas on TV, they just seem more bland than the multi cultural stuff of Blighty. I've tried explaining to people here what it means to actually live somewhere like the UK, where the local supermarket has proper chorizo or other euro exotica. And wine – apparently there is only Au wine.
    So yeah, totally not for everyone.
    If I had the cash to have a lifestyle that I would feel comfortable I'd be back in the UK. But until I win a lottery (sorry, Lotto) then it's not going to happen.
    I used to work with someone who went to NZ then moved back, much for the same reasons – so you're not alone.

NZCol

Alexathome: I don't live in ChCh. Try again.

chewkw: Can you point out where i asked for the perfect place to live ? You might also want to put your questions before your answers – If i was a **** plumber the Internet isn't exactly going to help now is it ? Twunt. I find your response really interesting as you seem to think I am asking for a solution which i quite clearly am not, i was updating the thread because there was some relevant stuff on it. However, you;ve obviosuly got something to get off your chest so I'm glad you have – thanks, its helped me immensely.
    You could of course consider the fact that many of your points are utter c0ck really. Particularly your homesick line. I think you'll find I'm not actually but balancing the relative merits of where we are now versus access to family. Indeed i did think about that 12 yrs ago when i 'moved' here but, well maybe not in your life perhaps, circumstances change and drivers to do stuff do as well. Tell me, where do the rest of my family Live ? you don;t have a fckn clue so you can't actually comment you twunt.
    However I have finished my sushi lunch now so i will go back to my plumbing. Have fun *kiss*

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Moving BACK to UK’ is closed to new replies.