Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Moving back to England Peak District vs Dartmoor
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Looking at moving back to the UK from Jersey and commuting back 3 days a week. looking at Dartmoor as it’s close to Exeter airport but don’t know much about or the Peak District which I know and love but possible longer commute from Liverpool & Doncaster. I’m mountain bike, fell run and rock climb which is the main reason for me moving back.

Where would you choose?

5plusn8
    Free Member

I duuno the peaks but we had a holiday on Dartmoor, stayed in Chagford a few years ago, it was beautiful but when you get up high its bleak, even in summer. Lots of tourists too.

scaled
    Free Member

It’s a lot bloody drier in Dartmoor

5plusn8
    Free Member

I though the south west was rainy? It will likely be warmer than the peaks..

IdleJon

It’s a lot bloody drier in Dartmoor

My own experience suggests not, and a quick google shows the Peak District annual average rainfall at around 1400mm compared to Dartmoor at 1900mm.

You might think that the Peak District is wet but the clouds have lost loads of rain by the time they get to you.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

South West is a dead end. Peaks v beautiful and can get to Wales, Dales, Moors and Lakes quick. (and Sheffield is best city in England)

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Yes I have heard that Dartmoor is more wild than the Peak. Less trials and paths etc. I’m used to the cold and rain

I know that Sheffield/ Peak has a good Climbing and cycling community but don’t know much about the scene in Dartmoor. Quite like the hippy vibe of Totnes though t climbing and cycling community but don’t know much about the scene in Dartmoor. Quite like the hippy vibe of Totnes though

IHN

Dartmoor is beautiful but miles from anywhere else (well, except Exmoor)

The Peak District is beautiful and also give easy access to other beautiful places.

South West is a dead end. Peaks v beautiful and can get to Wales, Dales, Moors and Lakes quick. (and Sheffield is best city in England)

This, basically

ThePinkster

I’d head for the Peaks every time.

Dartmoor is stuck in one bottom corner of England with a relatively poor transport network so if you need to get anywhere other than Dartmoor it can take a long time.

The Peaks has far easier access to more of the UK being relatively central, and even in the Peak District itself the terrain is far more varied, giving plenty of options depending on what you want to do that day.

cx_monkey

I live on the edge of Dartmoor, but I’m from near Sheffield. Lots of good riding here, and you’re actually very accesible for lots more – Exmoor, Quantocks, Wales is just over the bridge from Bristol.

Most of the tourists are passing through to Cornwall, but it does get busy. I reckon the Peaks does too though?

But can’t deny what everyone else has pointed at – you’re close to the end of the road down here, but I love it. The reality is you are 1.5 hrs from the real world, and Exeter airport is worse than useless….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dartmoor for me. Closeish to some excellent beaches for surf and number 1 for me is day light hours. It’s not a massive difference but in the middle of winter it makes a difference. If you live close to the sea you can add in the reflection from the sea and it is def noticeable.

Edukator
    Free Member

With a pseudo like “stonemonkey” then Hathersage is the obvious choice.

marcus
    Free Member

I’m into / been into at various times, MTB, climbing, road cycling, fell running, etc., for the last 30 years, and lived in various places all within / within circa 10 miles of the Peak for all of that time. I’m not bored of the area yet. – Read into that what you will ??

benp1

I’d definitely be choosing the Peak District. Excellent place and quite central for good access to other places too

riklegge

I lived in Sheffield for 8 years, and have family down near Exeter. I loved the Peak when I lived there, but at the time I was able to get into the hills during the week; it’s MUCH busier at the weekend. Excellent variety of climbing, running & biking though

Dartmoor is fantastic, excellent riding and climbing venues, again with a lot of variety in the area.

However, in the STW fashion of recommending somewhere you haven’t mentioned, have you considered somewhere like Leeds / Calderdale area? Close to Leeds Bradford airport, excellent riding and climbing, accessible for Peaks, Lakes, Wales and just as wet as anywhere else.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Peaks everytime. Dartmoor I’ve always found to be a little isolated. Which may be what you want.Also, the only pub I’ve been threatened in for basically being a dick non local was Okehampton.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Given the choice I’d pick Dartmoor. Great road and off road and fantastic beaches nearby.

geoffj

Sheffield best city in England 😆

jimdubleyou

Dartmoor itself can be bleak.

My folks live on the edge between Oke & Exeter. I wouldn’t call it convenient for anything.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Dartmoor.

Some people are right shit at geography in here, or assume people still travel by horse in the South West..

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve only experience of The Peak District but geographically this is where I would choose as you are within striking distance of loads of other mtb hotspots ..The Lakes,Dales,NYM..etc.
    However you are miles away from the best city in England which as everyone knows is Newcastle-upon-Tyne ..

thecaptain
    Free Member

Depends on perspective but I’ve always found the bottom end to be miles away from everywhere and a right pain driving to/from. Peaks wouldn’t be (isn’t!) top choice in UK for me but it’s not a bad option.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

HI thanks for your views. I lived in Sheffield for 8 years before moving to Jersey. I had a great time in Sheffield and suppose it’s my first choice. But liked Dartmoor as it’s geographicaly closer and somewhere different.

But think it will be Sheffield/ Peak District

jambalaya
    Free Member

Peak District (based on your criteria)

I am a “southerner” and love the West Country but as per above Peak District is just wonderful and so near to Lakes, Dales etc. As I sail I would pick Dartmoor area for access to Dartmouth, Plymouth etc but that doesn’t apply to you.

CountZero

Depends on perspective but I’ve always found the bottom end to be miles away from everywhere and a right pain driving to/from. Peaks wouldn’t be (isn’t!) top choice in UK for me but it’s not a bad option.

Well, I’m in and out of Cornwall all the time, most days of this week, in fact, and a 220 mile run back from around Redruth or somewhere like that on the A30/M5 is a quiet jaunt for me, takes about three – three and a half hours, whereas doing a similar length run north on the M5/6 is an exercise is soul-destroying frustration.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Dartmoor…

tis grim oop north

hodgynd
    Free Member

Yeah that’s a line we spin Carl to keep you southerners down there 😆

vickypea
    Free Member

I fell in love with the Peak District about 10 years ago after moving out of Manchester, and I took up mountain biking

carlphillips
    Free Member

@hodgy ha ye the mrs is from manchester and I used to climb in the peaks a lot, its actually not that grim there.

from a strictly mtb/climb perspective it would be the peaks out of the two, however like others have said if you like other sports as well, like surfing SUP sailing etc then down here is great too.

edit..I had forgotten to mention that there is a great climbing scene down here, and don’t forget all those amazing multi pitch sea cliff routes of north Devon and lands end/ bosigran etc that are only 1-2hrs away.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Moving back to England Peak District vs Dartmoor’ is closed to new replies.