Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Moving an internal wall between bedrooms
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

People in the know a quick question please

The wall we want to move is perpendicular to the roof rafters, which run front to back across the whole width of the house uninterrupted.

If the wall had the rafter stopping and then starting again above it, it would be a supporting wall right ?

So, as it hasn’t are we good to move it… ?

The plan is to move it more towards the middle of the house BTW.

Cheers

marcus
    Free Member

It could very well be supporting the roof. What’s the wall construction ? Is it build of the first floor, or does it extend all the way down to ground level ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

if it’s just a partition wall (wooden frame and plasterboard) then it’s ripe for shifting. If it’s block then it may be structural.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

roof rafters

They’re the sloping bits – do you mean the flat bits, the joists?

So, as it hasn’t are we good to move it… ?

I’d guess odds on that it is ok.

But.

As previous posters have said, if its block/brick then proceed with some caution…

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Also check that there are no water tanks etc, being supported on the joists that run over the wall.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Stud walls can still be load bearing, depending on age, area and who put it up.

martinhutch

What’s the worst that could happen?

We’ve just done this to extend our lasses’ bedroom. If it’s a stud wall, or ash block, and the joists run as you say, then I’d be pretty confident. Does it correspond in position with the wall underneath downstairs?

Might be worth getting someone with expertise to cast their eye over it if it will make you sleep easier, though.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry … yes joists

It’s Block work and now you’ve come to mention it …

I think at some point the wall was through both floors. On the ground floor now, it’s been knock through with a steel put in there.

Hmmm

Will get a proper, on site, option.

Thanks gents

hammyuk
    Free Member

its a supporting wall then

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sounds like I may as well get structual engineer around striaght away

wrightyson
    Free Member

There’s nothing to say its structural. The steel below could well have been placed to purely support the wall above. Look on the loft, that will tell you all you need to know.

johndoh
    Free Member

There’s nothing to say its structural. The steel below could well have been placed to purely support the wall above. Look on the loft, that will tell you all you need to know.

This is true, but given the OP’s clear lack of knowledge (no offence meant) he does best by sticking to his own advice

Sounds like I may as well get structual engineer around striaght away

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Moving an internal wall between bedrooms’ is closed to new replies.