Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moving abroad. Shipping advice needed!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me about removals of domestic items to addresses abroad? Recommend a company?

I’ll be travelling light, so it will be no more than a couple of the bikes, a suitcase of clothes and a big box-worth of other items…

Also – anyone like to buy a complete NAIM CD-based HiFi system? 😯 😀

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How far you going?

Lot of guys who i know who have moved within europe just rent a van.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Go back in time to early 19th century Britain and commit a petty crime. They’ll send you to Australia for nothin’. Bargain.

Failing that, take the suitcase on the plane with you and get a parcel delivery company like Fed-EX or DHL to ship the bikes and box of stuff?

johndoh
    Free Member

my brother in law had his BMW 5 series estate shipped to Australia 😯

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Having moved in stages to australia and set up there and subsequently moved back with a fair amount of stuff I can tell you that if you have more than a bag or two get a professional in to do it.

However depending how far you are going i.e. australia etc unless you are happy to wait a couple of months for your stuff to arrive then it will be expensive.

mefty
    Free Member

Are you going to the Holy Land?

SaxonRider

You’re off to the Canaries or somewhere like that, aren’t you?

When I moved to the West Indies from Canada (and back), I boxed a lot of my stuff up and posted it to myself using surface mail. It took awhile to reach me, but it eventually all arrived safe and sound.

And it was like Christmas a fun day associated with opening gifts when the boxes came.

konabunny
    Free Member

Companies are all mostly the same: they subcontract and batch every stage anyway. Get multiple quotes. Don’t believe the timeframes they tell you. Don’t bother self packing as it doesn’t save you money anyway

NZCol

^ Moved around a bit, last time from NZ to UK with a 20foot container. Crown came out best for us every time, best service, costwise not much in it. As said before, depends where you are going to but part container loads take about 12-14 weeks to get to oz from uk and vice versa.

beanum

I used Luker Bros when I moved to Switzerland. They do a European service as well… They handled all the customs stuff and arrived spot on time and were very professional. I’d recommend them..
    I moved furniture and lots of boxes as well as a bike though so they might not be the most cost effective option for a small load.
    Luker Bros

fourbanger
    Free Member

Recent experience of this moving my girl to Singapore. Thought we’d take the essentials on the plane (bike, some clothes etc) and airmail the other few boxes.
    Went with DHL who airmailed about 4 boxes we packed. 4 turned up. 1 disappeared. 1 looked like it got kicked overland all the way there.
    1/10 – wouldn’t recommend.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I’d hire a van

just be wary as some companies like to whack a ‘damage’ charge on a van that is full of dents when you get it (Way2Go),

..take some pictures. 😉

rickmeister

Pickfords for a Edinburgh – Basel move.

Crated up in the storage in Edinburgh, we took basics into a rental flat, found a house to buy.

Notified Pickfords, stuff arrived to the hour on the appointed day, 21 days later.

All up, £1800 or so.

Complete, in good nick, nothing lost or damaged. Delivered on a UK truck so perhaps not handball through loads of sub contractors.

batfink
    Free Member

When I moved to oz, I got loads of quotes to compare. My finding was that Crown were the only decent ones, and not really any more expensive than the others once you had factored in their multitude of hidden costs. Just go with crown, they are awesomes.

globalti
    Free Member

Nigeria is a country with close links to Britain and huge numbers of people moving stuff back and forth so there’s a thriving business in charter air cargo companies who book space on freighters flying from Ostend to Lagos every weekend. I’d be willing to bet that the same companies will fly your stuff anywhere in the world where there’s enough cargo to warrant regular charter freight flights. The rate is less than IATA passenger cargo rates and even less than courier rates. Try Jetset Cargo.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks kbunny. Batfink: I’ll definitely look at crown.

Orgiva, Sierra Nevada.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used Crown for big stuff to oz, for what you describe look at Transglobal express who are agents for the big couriers if you get the boxes right for size and weight air freight could work and be there in a week.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I moved a similar amount of stuff from overseas to the UK. I used TNT. To be honest they were a bloody nightmare. Two missed pick ups, delayed deliveries and their support staff can do nothing other than say sorry which doesn’t really help.
    Having said all that the quote went from thousands with a number of companies,Pickfords being one of them, I can’t remember the rest, to a few hundred. And I got all my stuff with no damage done to it.
    So if you can put up with the hassle, they might be worth considering. I’d struggle to use them again though.
    Transglobal express, as mentioned above,are similar I think so they might be the better option.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moving abroad. Shipping advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.