Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Moving a gatepost?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience with this? We’ve got big sandstone gateposts, and they’re moving on their bases – I blame the speed bump right outside the gate.

My plan is to get an Acrow prop, and use it to shove them apart and back into position – will that work?

Then, when they’re back in place, I can mortar or put a hidden bolted late to stop them wandering again.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Did you not post about this once before?

br
    Free Member

Or you could do it properly by taking them out and redoing them.

fasthaggis

Did you not post about this once before?

No ,that was about the NO campaign moving the goalposts 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Did I? Perhaps – it’s home DIY, the man’s job is to think about it for months before getting a professional to do it.

thepurist

Or you could do it properly by taking them out and redoing them.

b r speaks the truth.

redstripe
    Free Member

you could use that weird orange tool to dig a new hole!

jock-muttley

Speak to ANY politician…. they are BRILLIANT at moving goalposts :mrgreen:

bencooper
    Free Member

The problem is the big lump of stone sits on a plinth – the plinths are fine, perfectly flat and level as they’ve been for 100 years, it’s the lumps of stone that are shifting sideways because big trucks keep hitting the speed bump 3 feet away.

I suppose the real, proper solution would be to lift them off with a big crane, bore a hole in the plinth and bottom of the gatepost, and put a pin in to stop movement, but that’s some pretty heavy work.

redstripe
    Free Member

Complain to council/highways authority and get them to repair them if their speed bump caused it, and ask to remove bump so no more damage. Similar questions of shock damage caused to properties come up quite a bit with Honest John on his site

wrightyson
    Free Member

3.5 ton mini digger will lift about a ton. How big are they? I very much doubt you’ll need a crane. And digging around them is an option but you’ll need a good sized grip all the way round then concrete back in. All pretty much subject to site conditions tho really…

mattbee

I’ll get my wife to park next to them, she sees to be pretty good at reversing into the damn things. Will have it moved easily and you can’t make her car bumper much worse…

project
    Free Member

We’ve got big sandstone gateposts, and they’re moving on their bases – I blame the speed bump right outside the gate.

My plan is to get an Acrow prop, and use it to shove them apart and back into position – will that work

Sandstone is quite fragile, put a few lengths of scaffolding board or really thick timber down the posts before you use an acrow, or they may well snap, a neighbour had his snapped after a visit from the police who forced the gate open for a drugs raid.

grey

They also snap when you hit them with a trailer, don’t ask me how i know 🙄

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Your idea to push back in position with acrows seems feasable, get one in position then drill 4 x 25mm holes between tops and base and epoxy stainless bars to provide key, when set reposition other post and repeat.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Moving a gatepost?’ is closed to new replies.