Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Moving a dropped kerb.. do i need council permission.
  • renton
    Free Member

Our house has a dropped kerb that was done by the previous owners twice over.

However we think one side needs moving over a bit to make it level with the drive.

As permission for a dropped kerb has already been given for it previously would I need to contact the council to move it ??

Here is pic showing what I mean.

We want to move the yellow dropped bit over by one kerb stone length.

Liftman

Yes you would need the council to do it as it’s their kerb not yours

Onzadog
    Free Member

You’re not authorised to carry out works on the highway.

chewkw
    Free Member

No expert here so I might be talking hot air but I suspect the answer is Yes. No harm in trying apart from rejection.

If I were you I would ask before you get into all sort of bureaucratic mess. The reasons …

1. There is a yellow line/block on the parking kerb which is there for a reason drawn by the city council.
    2. There is a water drainage cover there so perhaps that is the reason why the yellow line/block is there and previous owner could not change that.
    3. Perhaps the yellow line/block kerb is there so making it easy to access the drainage if required.
    4. Health and safety … you might destroy the drainage cover by constantly driving over it thus damaging the road etc …
    5. It is Not your property as the road belongs to the council whoever …

p/s: As a tightly controlled bureaucratic nation you should know that you need permission for most things … duplicate and triplicate that please.

mike399
    Free Member

Yes. But when we put our drive in, the application was only 35 quid for a guy to come out and say ‘ok’.

renton
    Free Member

I thought this might be the case.

m0rk
    Free Member

I’d move two to make it more symmetrical

RustyMac

Yes you will need council permission, if they do agree to dropping it you will have to pay whatever there quote comes back at, this could be very expensive.

They may decide they do not want to lower that kerb stone due to the position of the drain as with the lie of the land it may lead to water running down the path rather than in the gutter.

nickjb
    Free Member

Be easier to move the drive if you own that little bit of grass on the left

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or just always approach from the good side?.

Dropped kerb cost me 180 for the application and 800 for a council approved ground works co to do it. And that wasn’t anywhere near the most expensive one. They also painted a white t bar line for that too.

project
    Free Member

move the drive over 3 foot, as above, and get the fence painted and drive re done with straight edgings

renton
    Free Member

That bit of grass is mine, it’s where there were loads of trees I asked on here how to get rid of as seen in this pic….

We will get the drive redone in a few years and will possibly move it over.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

‘Breaking out’ of the public highway is punishable by death. However you’d probably get away with it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Council approved/affiliated/whatever contractor needs to do it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Err some of the above is totally incorrect. You don’t have to go with what the council quote at all. In fact the council have far better things to do with fannying around with kerbs.
    Application is necessary but then any approved contractor with a street works ticket can do it.
    Have a word with a few local ground works companies. Even local block pavers/tarmacers may have the relevant tickets.

renton
    Free Member

I know some one that can do it I just wasn’t sure if I could “alter” it a bit under the previous application

wallop

Will that need a Section 50 Licence? They’re £400 round our way.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ll be dead honest id just do it…

mikey74
    Free Member

You need to make an application to the Council Highways department. Whoever does the work will need to be on the Council’s list of approved highway Contractors.***

*** this may vary from council to council.

dantsw13

What exactly does the previous application say? Does it have any latitude for interpretation?

renton
    Free Member

Dantsw I have no idea to be honest.

Tsw as in raf supplier ???

totalshell

its a no brainer.. next time anyone from the caravan club is in town drop them a ton and the kerb will mysteriusly move overnight as will any likely hood of you been involved..no one will ever know its moved never mind that a mr big at no.11 was to blame.. ps.. is that your mrs in the bedroom window?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Err some of the above is totally incorrect. You don’t have to go with what the council quote at all. In fact the council have far better things to do with fannying around with kerbs.
    Application is necessary but then any approved contractor with a street works ticket can do it.
    Have a word with a few local ground works companies. Even local block pavers/tarmacers may have the relevant tickets.

Pure dung.

Council approved contractor required as they are liable for the work for the first two years, so need public liability insurance.

ads678

Council approved yeah, but that could be anyone, not just the council.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Isn’t that what the last sentence quoted said?

Smudger666

Just FYI – I had this conversation recently – the reason you need to make an application is that the council need to ensure that the pavement( built for walking on) will support a vehicle’s weight – any services running under the pavement may need to be supported/reinforced to avoid damage.

If you drop the kerb, and then damage is done to the services, you will be liable for the restoration of those services – not worth it imho.

That Drain might run along the line of the road and not be an issue, but I wouldn’t risk not applying.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pure dung.

Council approved contractor required as they are liable for the work for the first two years, so need public liability insurance.

Err did I not say they need to be council approved?
    I do have a rough idea of what’s required as it’s probably something I’ve been doing for a living for 20 odd years. Crack on and advise folk to use the council and see how long it takes to get done and how much it costs 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

Or just always approach from the good side?.

+1 it’s your money and not mine, of course, but the driveway is already two thirds the width of the house.

dantsw13

Renton, no, not TSW, sw13 was my old postcode. EX RAF, but a herc pilot, not a mover.

singlespeedstu

I know some one that can do it

Can they work under cover of dark?
    If yes just deny anything to do with it IF anyone even notices.

iain1775
    Free Member

As above said application needed and council approved Streetworks accredited contractor needed, however to lower the kerb may well require the drain cover to be reset, which could turn a simple job into not such a simple job. it’s probably not worth doing for what it will cost you
    I suspect this is why the previous owners didn’t take the drop kerb further along

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Err did I not say they need to be council approved?
    I do have a rough idea of what’s required as it’s probably something I’ve been doing for a living for 20 odd years. Crack on and advise folk to use the council and see how long it takes to get done and how much it costs

I never said get the council to do it, I’d suggest you read my post.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d not be posting pictures of my house, Inc the number on the net, especially given all your threads about “my bike” etc. This is a public forum & who knows who’s reading it.this comes from someone who had 3 bikes nicked only a week after advertising them for sale, coincidence? Maybe

timba
    Free Member

That yellow kerbstone intrigues me. Is it already on a list for repair/alteration?
    1) Contact the LA and see if you can piggyback any works
    2) Always turn in left, it’ll be cheaper

CaptainSlow

Sod the kerbstone I’d put the trees back in 😀

Kryton57

You have the advice needed. I suspect it is how it is to prevent constant traffic over that drain cover/frame loosening it and incurring additional repetitive remedial works.

Go ahead an apply and see what happens, ask for a list of approved contractors.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the info people.

Oh and apologies dantsw !!!

BigJohn

I had a dropped kerb installed yesterday. We needed a vehicle access permission from the county council (£112) which means we can have a standard 2.75m opening (plus the 2 risers). This permission lasts for 3 years. We then had to get a “permit to dig” which was £220 and the contractor (£750 to do the job) wouldn’t do it without both of those in place. Because we live on a C road (no, me neither) I also had to get planning permission.

OP – I’d leave well alone.

chewkw
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    OP – I’d leave well alone.

^^^ This. 😛

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suspect that the kerbstone is painted yellow for no other reason than people pranging it on the way in. Either that or the stopcock set in the pavement (but I doubt that, usually fire hydrants would be marked like that).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Moving a dropped kerb.. do i need council permission.’ is closed to new replies.