Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Movies that should never have been remade / sequels / prequels
  • misterfrostie
    Free Member

So I was watching the Italian Job on DVD last night and of course its a classic. Why did they ever bother to do a crap remake other than to cash in ? There must be loads more – I'd also give you the Star Wars sequels / prequels.

Whats yours ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thomas Crown Affair
    Oceans 11

are two that spring to mind and I'm not holding out much hope for the new version of the Karate Kid.

loddrik
    Free Member

I am a little concerned about the upcoming prequel to The Thing…

I absolutely loved Crank, Crank 2 was shite though.

Aliens vs predator, to the makers of these films, just f£ck off!!!!

richcc
    Free Member

Mostly for me it's American TV series that are written/make sense as 1 series but then go crap when they get good ratings and have to get spun out into 2,3,4,5 series

– prison break, heroes etc

allthepies
    Free Member

SFB – The movie II.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Spiderman 3….. Agree with The Italian Job as well, total pants!

loddrik
    Free Member

The superman remake, not a patch on the original.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Assault On Precinct 13

Original was a classic, remake was dire.

Above also applies for The Day The Earth Stood Still and War Of The Worlds

Have heard they are going to remake Forbidden Planet, please don't do it

Junkyard
    Free Member

the matrix sequels

MrNutt
    Free Member

the butterfly effect 2, who ever did that should be shot.

enfht
    Free Member

American Warewolf in Paris

billybob
    Free Member

Just look at the horror genre for a list of remakes that shouldn't have happened, it's just laziness on behalf of hollywood execs who don't have the balls to back original ideas

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Clash of the titans.

Nightmare on elm street.

5lab

taxi (french) should never have been made into taxi (american)

tinribz
    Free Member

Predators – fantastic premise totally wasted on a bunch of slack jawed faggots.

Well actually it was probaly the director's fault for not being in anywhere near the same league as the whoever did the first one.

tazzymtb

star wars- episodes 1-3 (complete tosh)

cranberry
    Free Member

Get Carter.

trailmonkey

Godfather III, what were they thinking ?

Cougar

Highlander, there should have been only one.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thomas Crown Affair
    Oceans 11

Actually I liked the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair more than the original, although I'd agree that it didn't really need to be made.

speaker2animals

Well I used my Orange Weds to go see Predators as I just wanted to get out of the house. I was pleasantly surprised. Though it is in effect the original. Head and shoulders above anything that followed the original. Not that we are talking a brilliant movie in the first place.

Batman Forever, Batman & Robin.

Superman 3 & 4

X-men Last Stand

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton)

Can't be bothered to list anymore.

one-eyed_jim
    Free Member

cranberry writes:

Get Carter.

What he said.

tang
    Free Member

karate kid.

ski
    Free Member

Get Carter has got to be one of the worst remakes compared to the original.

Jaws & Psycho also spring to mind, that should have never been remade or had sequels.

MSP

The nikita remake was just pointless, it wasn't bad in the style of get carter it was just a complete waste of time.

Coyote
    Free Member

Get Carter +2

The Wickerman

MSP

The ladykillers, the pattern emerging that any film which is quintessentially British should be left alone by Hollywood.

CountZero

Highlander 2 was possibly the worst film I've ever seen. No continuity with the original film, no internal continuity made the whole story incoherent. Utter garbage. Predators was a pleasant surprise, it neatly connected with the first film with Isabelle's knowledge of the Predators dut to the Guatemala operation. Brody's character using guile to outwit the Alpha male at the end, yep, I was well entertained and that's why I go to the flicks. The remake of The Thomas Crown Affair I love to bits. It didn't need to be remade, but it was done with style and wit and the chemistry between the leads was explosive. I can happily watch that film every time it gets shown. I generally don't bother going to see films that look like I won't be entertained; I've enjoyed films that critics have dismissed, but I only take notice of reviews in film magazines anyway, newspaper critics are generally crap, Tookey in The Mail being a classic example. Looking forward to Inception, Machete, Toy Story 3 and a bunch of others coming up.

ratherbeintobago

I am slightly concerned about the forthcoming Dambusters remake.

Andy

RustySpanner

The Vanishing, 1988 Dutch version is one of the best horror films ever made.

The 1993 American remake with Keifer Sutherland ruins the whole effect with a tacked on happy ending. Dreadful.

Oh, and Gus Van Zandt's shot by shot remake of Psycho – utterly pointless.

PrinceJohn

Apparently they are remaking straw dogs, but setting it in America

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Nearly forgot, Edge Of Darkness and Traffic

Both very compelling TV series films, badly remade and Americanised

donsimon
    Free Member

Never seen Get Carter the remake, but I imagine the original can't be bettered and not with Stallone!!

I thought the Italian Job was ok until 3/4 of the way through when it started ripping off the original directly. The first part was just a Hollywood heist movie, then just ripped of the original scene by scene. Or am I thinking of something else??

MrsToast
    Free Member

S Darko. I doubt the maker's commitment to Sparkle Motion. 🙁

Alien Vs Predator. How in the name of all that is good and holy can something that features both Aliens AND Predators go so horribly wrong?

one-eyed_jim
    Free Member

PrinceJohn writes:

Apparently they are remaking straw dogs, but setting it in America

Somehow that doesn't seem too bad. The original was much more about the urban/rural divide than any UK/USA divide. Think "Deliverance".

"The Wicker Man", on the other hand…

nickc

There is apparently an Americanised version of "Let the Right One In" being made.

Made my heart sink

PrinceJohn

Even if I tell you its got James Marsden and Kate Bosworth in it?

one-eyed_jim
    Free Member

Ah!

😆

jahwomble
    Free Member

Any remake of "The Seven Samurai" especially a Bug's life, The magnificent seven was pretty damn poor as well.

Kurosawa's Stunning "The Hidden Fortress" was ripped off pretty much scene for scene for Star Wars. which imho was churned into to just another ( admittedly with high production values) space opera.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

Psycho.
    The Omen.
    Let the right one in (not out yet but it will be rubbish)
    The Fog.
    The Hitcher.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Movies that should never have been remade / sequels / prequels’ is closed to new replies.