Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Moved house, ticks all the niches. First question – which chainsaw?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

New house, big garden, lots of sheds, tree house, log burner, LPG, poly tunnel, veg plot, cattle grid, crap mobile reception, mountains a short ride away. That seems to tick all the niches.

Got some trees to drop and chop, conifer hedges (old with 8-10″ trunks) couple of old Apple trees, and some that I think are maples.

Any good guides on how to use a chainsaw? I’m happy with power tools etc just never used one of these beasties.

Stoner
    Free Member

A half day course is a must really. While there you will learn enough to work out the right saw for you as well as picking up the important stuff.
    http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/woodland-activities/chain-saw-use-and-training/

timber

Hold on to the blunt bits.
    If you plan to keep it, get Husqvarna or Stihl so you you can get parts backup. Otherwise, some cheap thing should last the duration of the task.

Seems a shame to cut the apple and maple trees. Can the apple be pruned to encourage new growth and get it productive again.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner.

I was wondering if a short course would be good.

Will pop in to the garden machinery shop tomorrow and see if they do one. While I’m there I can check out ride on mowers 🙂

Next question will be “splitting axe or hydraulic splitter.” 😉

geoffj

Where are you. Someone may be able to help / point you in the right direction,

drlex
    Free Member

<‘net nanny>Please remember to get (rent/buy/borrow) protective gear!</’net nanny>

PePPeR

HYdraulic splitters are awesome!

The productivity compared to a maul is in a different league!

But get a cheap splitting maul too.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@timber – the maples are only small and a couple of utility cables run above them, so will need to do something with them before long!

We have around 8 Apple trees, a couple are very old and are not in a convenient place so will probably have to go.

We will be replacing one of the conifer hedges with espaliers so fruit won’t be in short supply.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Moved to Llandrindod Wells/Rhayader area. Anyone local?

timber

Especially nice if field maples

Stoner
    Free Member

Hah! Lovely area. Used to live between Builth and Llandod – the house on the lake just after the hill out of Builth. Lovely area. Check out the Hundred House pub, and the Seven Stars at Aberedw.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Will check those out Stoner 🙂

Just starting to find our way around.

timber

Slow to get that last link up.
    If they are under a power line, Western Distributions contractors will be along to butcher them, so may as well have them out. Timber can be valuable.
    You seem to be covered on the fruit front too.
    MWMAC are probably your local training company, but as lovely as Chris is, he’s massively disorganised. Got a number for a tidy contractor up Rhyader somewhere. I’m down Brecon way, but a bit flat out as just bought a house too.
    Pop over to Caerfagu fencing, they’ll probably have some ads up for contractors or will be one of your local saw dealers.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers timber,

Will check them out.

Will also be looking for some riding buddies soon 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

I spent a long time deciding which saw to buy, it’s quite the minefield if you don’t know what you want.

As someone else above said, Husqvarna and Stihl are your go to brands. Or Jonsered which are re-licensed Husqvarna or so I gather. Those brands hold their value well, and have good dealer networks. There are some very good fakes out there though so be sure to buy new, or used from a dealer. I have tried bootleg Stihls, and Mitox, which is kind of a legitimised chinese saw….absolutely terrible.

About 95% of online info on chainsaws seems to be debating which is best, Husqvarna or Stihl. To no avail really. I got the impression that the massive Stihl online presence was down tho them being made in ‘Merica rather than them being better in any appreciable way so don’t waste your time with that. All the farmers I know swear by Husqvarna, but Stihl are a good saw.

Bigger is not always better. In fact a big powerful chainsaw in inexperienced hands is a terrifying prospect. Also consider whether you will be using it all year round, and what features might suit occaisional use or regular use.

timber

He’s quite a big time operator now it seems, could arrange training too.
    http://www.jimmyhughesservices.co.uk/

timber

A small Stihl will probably be cheaper and more available than its Husqy equivalent. Makita/Dolmar are fairly good too, but limited support network.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one…. sounds fun!
    Three things:
    1) I’m not going to enter the ‘what chainsaw debate’ (don’t think there’s anything between H & S but whichever you go for watch out for fakes/knackered stuff on eBay.
    2) Don’t rush headlong into cutting down trees – once they’ve gone they’ve gone.
    3) Put your logs into the polytunnel – they’ll dry really well in there if there’s a draught through it.

br
    Free Member

As my pal said when showing me how to use a chainsaw, “the first rule of using a chainsaw, is not to use a chainsaw”.

H&S is a must as these ‘beasts’ won’t just cut you, they’ll cut things off.

And the second rule was “both feet firmly on the floor”.

I’ve had a cheap (Aldi) petrol chainsaw, and took it back as it was just troublesome (carb problem). Still intend to buy a Stihl or the like but a couple of weeks ago they were selling electric ones for £54.

Took a punt, and it works brill. Ok, maybe not on a day-to-day basis but in a morning I cleared an area of a load of small trees – and chopped up the trunks too. And 3 year warranty.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, training course is a must – as is the correct PPE (you should be able to buy a holdall with it all in from any reputable chainsaw dealer)
    Keep your chain sharp/in good condition.

Not much to choose between Husqvarna or Stihl – I’d go with whichever has a local dealer who can do servicing/supply spares, and if the local dealer does both – go for the cheaper/nicer colour.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Moved house, ticks all the niches. First question – which chainsaw?’ is closed to new replies.