Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Moved house, solicitor lost building certficates. How much of a problem?
  • bails

We moved house a while ago, all of the FENSA, electrical, gas, boiler, building, etc certificates were sent from the seller’s solicitor to our solicitor.

Our solicitor sent us scans of them, told us everything was okay and we bought the house.

I realised after a couple of months that we hadn’t had the actual documents sent to us. I spoke to our solicitor who told me that they were still on site so he’d get them before they were archived and send them to us, but if he forgot then follow it up with an email to remind him.

We didn’t receive anything so a while later I sent him an email. He’s replied to it to say that all the documents were sent to us on completion (not what he said earlier) and we should have received them then.

We had a few other pieces of post from the solicitor go “missing” during the purchase, I think he just didn’t send them tbh, but can’t prove it. No other bits of post that (we were expecting, anyway) have gone missing. We live on a main road with a very obvious, straightforward address. No reason for the postman to struggle to find the house.

How much of a problem is this for future sales if we’ve only got scans of everything rather than physical copies?

nickjb
    Free Member

Not an issue at all. Print out the scans if you want physical copies

bails

Thanks, I know that sounds obvious (after all, we bought it based on scans), but we knew the originals existed and were legit.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought that the deeds stayed with the soliciot anyway?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I believe it’s all electronic now shermer (deeds). Guaranty certificates are separate contracts. OP you may be able to get duplicates reissued, worth asking if you care.

bails

Yeah, it’s not the deeds, it’s all the other stuff. FENSA and probably council building control (for extension) certificates can be reissued, but the have written gas, boiler and electric ones probably can’t.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Moved house, solicitor lost building certficates. How much of a problem?’ is closed to new replies.