• This topic has 44 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by chip.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • moved away from a dropper post?
  • supercarp

Has anyone gone back to a standard seatpost from a dropper? I am not sure whether it is worth the expense given i ride mainly at trail centers

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep I did, Bought it, spent a lot of time adjusting cables keeping levers etc clean- relubing etc. general faffage, only to find that on most rides I maybe used it once at the most. So decided to unburden myself from an extra maintenance commitment, and sold it. Since then I have discovered more times that I’d probably use it during my general riding, and rather wish I’d kept it. Hey ho you live and learn

ahwiles
    Free Member

Has anyone gone back to a standard seatpost from a dropper?

Yes, but only because i broke it.

I am not sure whether it is worth the expense given i ride mainly at trail centers

eh? what’s that got to do with anything?

anyhoo, i want another one sharpish.

Trimix
    Free Member

You bought something your not using ?

Why did you buy it then ?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yep, it was an early Crank Bros one that needed stripping and lubing after every ride in anything other than perfectly dry weather.

Loved the concept though.

jam-bo

yep.

put the dropper post on my hardtail to make it easier with the child seat.

put the straight thompson back on my five and not really missing the dropper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, I find it really good for dropping the saddle for short technical bit in the middle of more mundane sections.

e.g. I could ride tank traps at Swinley saddle up in the air, but that makes the (small) drop offs a bit less fun, so I drop the saddle for that small section. On the XC bike with a fixed post I ride round them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sort of. There isn’t one on my hard tail which is 27.2. I’m considering changing frame so I can fit a 30.9 ks or rs post.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Can’t imagine not having one

creamegg
    Free Member

broke the remote on mine recently in a crash. Been using my standard Thomson post for a few weeks now so should have had enough time to get used to it but can’t wait to get my dropper back.

sefton
    Free Member

yep mainly for weight and all the wires.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have due to a broken reverb – its shit!

christhetall
    Free Member

Been without my Reverb for the last 2 weeks having sent it off to SRAM to be serviced

I miss it so much !!!!

Admittedly I only dropped my saddle once on my ride yesterday, but would have done about 3 or 4 times had I had my reverb on

clubber
    Free Member

I have one but only use it when riding away from my usual (Bristol) trails. Here, I don’t find I really need it. Elsewhere, I find it makes me ride better so I think it’s well worth having. YMMV of course.

GEDA
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain, the bike and how fit you are. I pedal a lot out of the saddle so I run the saddle low anyway. I don’t really care about “road biking” position though I do suffer on flat none technical fire road type situations. I put one on my bike here in Sweden and found that the trails did not suit running too much post anyway as you could not pump and move about as much and there is not much fire road. Back in the UK though there is a lot more fireroad and smooth stuff that suits an “upper” post and I like it a lot. To me it is not a must have as I do not enjoy the none techy bits where I need an upper post so I do not mind sacrificing a bit of speed on those bits by running my seat post a bit lower.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I am not sure whether it is worth the expense given i ride mainly at trail centers

That’s the best reason to buy one. If I only rode local, I wouldn’t even contemplate one personally.

Toasty

I’ve got one on my Five, but not other bikes. Can’t decide what to make of it, heavy, clunky, fragile, expensive thing that I only use once per ride.

Curiously I like it most for just lowering the saddle an inch or so, to make it feel more roomy on the downhill stuff, rather than slamming it totally.

Northwind

Very occasionally, but I almost always miss it. I’d sooner go without suspension than my dropper these days, riding rigid is fun but riding without a dropper is generally irritating.

As for trailcentres- I use mine least at trailcentres, natural or non-bike-specific trails tend to go up and down much more, or have long sections with just occasional fun techy moments, and generally not so easy to predict. Trailcentres are more often up or down, and generally have a sign at the start of the sections to tell you so.

TBF a lot of these comments really amount to “my dropper is rubbish”, doesn’t have to be so. I wouldn’t use mine if it wasn’t reliable and dependable.

fasthaggis

Can’t decide what to make of it, heavy, clunky, fragile, expensive thing that I only use once per ride.

Enough about your Five,what’s the dropper like? 😆

GEDA
    Free Member

They are only any good if you like sitting on your arse a lot. Hence “upper” post as that is the exception but I suppose calling it an upper post would reinforce the view that they are for fat bloaters that like sitting down a lot and occasionally ride techy trails that need the post dropping a bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are only any good if you like sitting on your arse a lot. Hence “upper” post as that is the exception but I suppose calling it an upper post would reinforce the view that they are for fat bloaters that like sitting down a lot and occasionally ride techy trails that need the post dropping a bit.

2/10 for trolling

nickc

Don’t have one, not contemplating getting one. I’ve tried every now and then dropping my post on stuff but then I’m wondering where my saddles gone and not concentrating in what I’m doing. On the few sections I’ve ridden where you absolutely have to have the saddle out if the way, I quite like stopping and having a looksie first anyway!!

GEDA
    Free Member

No trolling. They are sit down posts. If the trail is techy or you want to have fun it is better to have your seat down. If the trail is smooth/flat it is going to be road/XC territory anyway so who cares if your are a bit more inefficient riding with a lower seat. It is perfectly possible to ride standing up unless you are not that fit but it is not really possible (ok possible but not that much fun) to ride a techy trail well with your seat up your arse.

brant
    Free Member

They are only any good if you like sitting on your arse a lot. Hence “upper” post as that is the exception but I suppose calling it an upper post would reinforce the view that they are for fat bloaters that like sitting down a lot and occasionally ride techy trails that need the post dropping a bit

I kind of agree. They certainly aren’t “Droppers” as the button makes them go up!
    I want a dropper post that drops when you press one button. And I guess, one that goes up when you press another 🙂

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I haven’t learnt to love mine yet on a recent trail bike purchase. They’ve only just put in some local’ish downhill trails techy enough to really warrant one, but it feels weird to me, especially jumping, but rear wheel steering and overall lean are improved.

The biggest obstacle though is too many years riding XC and managing easier jumps and drops clipped in with my seat post at the 90% high compromise point. Really the dropper let’s me use the 100% height and maybe 75%.

Personally I tend to sit down most of the time I’m peddling and I’m somewhat bemused by everyone seemingly suddenly claiming they ride out of the saddle most of the time. I did that to a degree years ago when I was fit, strong, and rode the highest gear I could manage, but these days, well, I bought full suss bikes so as not to stress my back. Of course I also regularly ride in the attack position.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I serialyl drop my saddle 1-3″ for steeps but actually it’s all good with saddle right up if you have the skills. Seems to be a lost art these days. Loose up hills much easier and efficient when you can feel the nose if the saddle with your thighs and perch. The weight shifts are more subtle and rear wheel traction more constant. I do struggle climbing over steps though so maybe GEDA has a point.

I’ll keep a dropper on the tracer 275 while the weather holds, but stick with a qr on the sovereign

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I would not want to be without the reverb on the Five.
    It just makes it so much easier for mixed riding up and down big hills interspersed with techy bits.

Having said that, I didn’t bother putting one on the Patriot for three reasons:
    1. They don’t drop far enough.
    2. That bike is hopefully heading downhill for a much longer time at any one go.
    3. Too easy to damage in an off.

steve_b77
    Free Member

brant – Member
    I want a dropper post that drops when you press one button. And I guess, one that goes up when you press another

Don’t know why no-one has come up with one of these yet as it would be a great idea. Sometimes when out in the wild and drop or summit will suddely appear while riding at max-attack-gnar speed and you’ve got to sit donw to get the post out of the way.

Back to the OP, I change between my dropper and normal post depending on where I’m riding. If it’s a long XC route or racing, no dropper. If it’s a thrash-gnarcore trail centre session, or a natural rocky etc type ride, dropper.

GEDA
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump ironically the dropper post is happily on my Patriot in the UK. Difference in the UK is that my rides are usually long none techy fireroad climbs that are just a pain to ride like a monkey with the seat down and then techy downhills.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve had a few and ALWAYS go back to a standard seatpost.

I don’t like the faff.
    The inevitable sticking in one setting.
    JRA I start playing with ‘oo just abit high, oo just abit lower’.
    I don’t like remote fork lockout etc etc.

A bike should be minimum detrius on it.

If I lived somewhere seriously swoopy with quick height/drops on the trail allover I may consider but for the Peaks or other local stuff its just something else to fettle pre-post rides.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Brandt does that mean that you have ruled out the four on the front page of your website?!? 😉

GEDA
    Free Member

Where I ride in Sweden has serious swoopiness and a lot of up down. Upper post is no good on the ups or downs as the trails are full of roots and rocks where you really need to push the bike around to get the most out of the trail. To me the Peaks would be a better place for a dropper as you honk up the not so techy ups and then follow with a rock trail on the way down.

Cheezpleez

I have droppers on three out of four bikes.

Before I had them I used to run the saddle much lower than ideal pedalling height. Now, I can keep the saddle high enough to pedal efficiently and be able to drop it the couple of inches necessary to move the bike around when needed.

I use the dropper tens of times on every ride – not just on steep stuff but on all the twisty, bermy, undulating, rocky bits. I wouldn’t be without it.

The bike I don’t have a dropper on is a rigid SS. I’m out of the saddle a lot on this bike so I leave it a little low and it’s less of an issue. Still tempted to get dropper no. 4 though …

chip
    Free Member

Can’t afford a new dropper for my fs build so will have to rob the one off my hardtail.
    Gutted really as I use it all the time and my confidence in being able to ride certain situations has grown 10 fold since fitting it.
    I will have to replace it ASAP as I love clattering down hill on my HT, and I know I would not drop the saddle half as often without it, Possibly resulting in a few hairy moments.

Junkyard
    Free Member

like mine dont always use it – dont always sawp between bikes but might I prefer it for unfamiliar areas/trails

Never use for a trail centre as that is up then down then up again so no real need and not worth risking breaking it

Would not be without it but I could if I had to

brant
    Free Member

So Brandt does that mean that you have ruled out the four on the front page of your website?!?

(Brant)

I’m running a reverb.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dropper for the gravity bike
    Normal one for the lightweight hardtail. I still get off and drop the saddle for techy DH on the hardtail but dont want to fit a droppper as I sometimes use it for racing and dont want to add weight. Im doing Mayhem this weekend so I was practicing riding tech with the saddle up yesterday. I found that I can cope with steep techy stuff if I drop my ass behind the rear wheel – but I nearly came a cropper as I cant get back up again due to baggy shorts.
    So Im going shopping for some tighter shorts – nobody say lycra – thats not allowed!

Northwind

ndthornton – Member

dont want to fit a droppper as I sometimes use it for racing and dont want to add weight.

I’m a terrible endurance racer to be fair but still I find it well worth the extra 300g or so but it’s a big energy saver on descents… Carry more speed, ride techy bits more gracefully and smoothly. Means you can rest more on the descents.

buzz-lightyear – Member

I serialyl drop my saddle 1-3″ for steeps but actually it’s all good with saddle right up if you have the skills. Seems to be a lost art these days.

Even if you can ride a section with the seatpost up it’s still better with it down.

jam-bo

Even if you can ride a section with the seatpost up it’s still better with it down.

Depends. If its steep, then yes. But we’ve got some pretty fast, flowy DH singletrack round here that I’m fastest down with my saddle up.

ndthornton
    Free Member

well worth the extra 300g or so but it’s a big energy saver on descents…

Probably right but its all wonga isnt it… The dropper on my other bike wont fit on the hardtail as its 27.2.

That said – Iv found Mayhem to be fine fine with the seat up the last few years, Im only a little concerned as its a new course. I find steep = fine, techy = fine. Steep + techy = fine but ucomfortable – as long as you can get behind the saddle.

Super techy stuff is downright trecherous though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘moved away from a dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.