Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Move up north but the shift pattern doesn't look good!
  • sailor74
    Free Member

So I am being offered a job in Aberdeen and am struggling to decide whether to accept it or not.

Living down south at the moment so I am assuming the riding will be much better. I mainly ride DH but guess an all mountain bike would be a good purchase once up there.

The possible down side is the rota pattern and goes as follows;

7 nights
    2 off
    2 ‘office days’
    5 off
    7 lates
    2 off
    7 earlies
    3 off

after 3 of those cycles then 3 weeks off.

So my question is how good is the riding, and has anyone worked this type of shift pattern and if so what did you make of it?

Im thinking I would end up squeezing riding around work which isn’t the same as having clear days off. Also I’m not 100% convinced I will enjoy the weather! Perhaps you just get used to riding in the wet?

franksinatra

So over a 35 day period, you 9 days off. That sounds about the same for any job. You then get three weeks off every 100 days or so. So the equivalent of 9 weeks over the year.

Doesn’t sound that bad to me. Especially if you get annual leave over and above that.

Houses are expensive around Aberdeen way, have you factored that in?

sailor74
    Free Member

over 12 months there is lots of time off, the 3 weeks off every 100 or so is rostered leave though. House prices are comparable to here in Kent, plus the salary is very healthy!

Just concerned that there are periods where you are only getting a couple of days off around 7 day working weeks. Don’t want to feel like I’m at work all the time!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

the riding out of Aberdeen is varied, and from limited sight of it, really rather good. As above, will you be able to afford it / have the time to enjoy it?

Weather? Aberdeen’s not the wettest place in the UK, you’re thinking of Greenock / Skye 🙂

scotroutes

The advantage of lates and nights is that you can choose to ride during the day. Most 9-5 workers don’t have this option. That’s particularly an issue during the colder, darker winter.

sailor74
    Free Member

Kcal thats my main concern….having time to enjoy it with that work pattern. Money wise its a pretty fat salary so no concerns there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im not seeing the issue with that shift pattern …. That looks corking to me , but then i enjoy my own company most of the time so the fact its not weekends is fine by me .

Also in aberdeen theres generally no shortage of folk to ride with on week days as we all work wierd patterns .

Im ad hoc most of the time – now thats a shift pattern you dont want ….. But it is allowing me a wide range of field experiance i wont get any other way so im not that boss we all hate to hate in later life who doesnt know where the drill floor is located 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ridings great round here btw. Esp atm trails are bone dry , despite drissle the last couple of days. After this winter i didnt think that was ever going to happen !

meehaja
    Free Member

Better than my shift pattern and I don’t get the three weeks off!

ourmaninthenorth

Sure, it’s not the circadian convenience of 9-5 (doesn’t work for all of us anyway – I hate mornings), but the opportunity to have that much paid time off work would be ace. Especially if you get hols on top of that.

But presumably the job and/or pay are awful to balance out the upside of all that time off? 😉

sailor74
    Free Member

thanks for the input.

seems like the shift pattern may not be as bad as it looks then. Plus the indoor climbing/bmx park would be practically outside of work which is all the justification i need to ad a vmx to the bike collection. As i climb too thats another plus point!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Move up north but the shift pattern doesn't look good!’ is closed to new replies.