Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • 'Move to the Country' – why does this annoy me!
  • crikey
    Free Member

Of course and as noted above a number of times, you can always move back to a town, or to a different part of the country. I sometimes wonder why anyone would want to move to ‘the country’ if it’s populated by such odd folk.

Oooh Arr…

Bunnyhop

brandiberryj – I really enjoyed reading all of that, it totally makes sense.

I have friends who are complete townies, when they moved into their converted barn/stableblock they complained about the noisy sheep, the dawn chorus, the farmer making farming smells etc. they now spend half the year in Spain because its too cold in Britain during the winter and have made no effort to understand country ways.

I am also a semi townie who hopes to one day live in the countryside, but will really treasure it and hopefully fit in with the real locals.

SD-253
    Free Member

senor j – Member
    kettle on ,biscuits opened.

Am beginning to think you are touch sarcastic? Amusingly so I might add.

Tiger6791

I’m from a village in Yorkshire
    I now live in London
    Not sure the people here like the fact people keep moving in and pushing the house prices up so their kids can’t afford to live here.

Works both ways I ‘spose

senorj

My grandad lives in a Cumbrian village.
    He was a farmworker then a steelworker.
    He’s lived in that particular village for over 50 years and some of the folks still laugh and call him an incomer!
    A complaint went in last year from recent “incomers” that the cocks were making too much noise in the morning.WTF!

I hear what the op says.
    But you need a blend of old and new.

senorj

brandeberryj – yes – sarcasm , i apologise. 🙂

Markie
    Free Member

brandeberryj – Member

As I said the majority have little if anything to do with the local community NOT ALL

And I’m saying I’ll bet the majority of people who move from cities to villages do involve themselves in and support their new local communities. Of course, sometimes this may involve changing or trying to change those communities in ways some other residents do not like.

The fact that you have moved with your children is a moronic statement you are fully aware that majority are retired and therefore have not moved with there kid. One is not a statistic you are as you are well aware of not the majority. Unbelievably you are actually suggesting that sending kids to a private schools helps the local schools!! Are you real?

FWIW, the majority around here are not retired. Perhaps this is a regional thing? Retired folk head to small villages further away from regional centers and working folk choose villages within commutable distance (say an hour thirty) of the bigger towns or cities? And yeah, I should have said although the same ratio then go private for secondary although it makes no difference to my point. The village schools are supported by incomers and their children just as much as by ‘locals’ and theirs. The nearest secondary schools are in our nearest towns anyway, and so are unaffected.

I said the majority drink at home remind me where I mentioned the wine bar? And yet again I hear that they have to change to suit you. Can you tell me if the pub stayed open just because of outsiders? You are clearly implying it. I would suggest that is crap. You simply had a bad landlady replaced by good one. And this “camra’s regional pub of the year in 2009” proves it

😀 You never mentioned a wine bar, obvs. I put it in to say that that accusation could not be levelled at it. Also, I do reckon that the pub here stayed open because of outsiders. This was a farming village and farming jobs are now few and far between. Who would still be here and could they sustain a pub? The old publican ran the bar as suited him but not the village. The new publican changed that. And yeah, she’s ace!

And that was all because of outsiders yeah right

Not at all. But it shows that a shop that serves the needs of those around it can survive, even if those around it now include ‘outsiders’.

What the hell is the middle ages got to do with? you are top man for twisting words no maybe lieing would be a better way of putting it. Again you have no right to expect internet speed to be the same as in a city nor can you expect electricity not to be disrupted more than in a city. Now this is a sickening lie SINCE WHEN IS THE NHS A UTILITY? And where did I say utilities shouldn’t be improved I said you shouldn’t expect them to be equal. Wow you do like to change everything a person says. Work for the press do you or are you a politician. Fox news could do with someone like you.
    Anyway why are you worried about the NHS if you send your children to private school you no doubt have private health care so it has nothing to do with you. PS I will say this again you may have missed it I am an outsider and yet again as you appear to be a bit slow I was talking about most not all.

Neither did I say one should expect utilities to be able to provide equal service in the countryside – but what’s wrong with trying to improve them? Surely everyone in the community benefits if things such as the village’s electricity supply are improved? You may not have a ‘right’ to equal service, but you can certainly campaign for it. Also, no the NHS isn’t a utility but that doesn’t matter. I was using that as an example of why your subsidies argument was mistaken. Just for the record, my child is too young for school (private schools are being considered, as are the village ones) and IMO the NHS rocks!

You’re an outsider and you’re talking about most not all? Hey, me too!

SD-253
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

Bunnyhop – Member

I have friends who are complete townies, when they moved into their converted barn/stableblock they complained about the noisy sheep, the dawn chorus, the farmer making farming smells etc. they now spend half the year in Spain because its too cold in Britain during the winter and have made no effort to understand country ways.

I am also a semi townie who hopes to one day live in the countryside, but will really treasure it and hopefully fit in with the real locals.
    [/quote]

complained about the noisy sheep

I always think they could put a bit more effort in its if they are deliberatly being quiter than they should

the dawn chorus,

There is nothing sweeter I will leave for a walk in the dark so I can get the full monty while sat drinking from my flask of tea.

the farmer making farming smells etc.

Hardly something you would call a bad smell?

they now spend half the year in Spain

They should think about spending the other half there.

because its too cold in Britain during the winter

Arghh now that is accurate it is 1 degree colder in rural areas than in a city……so bugger of back there!

and have made no effort to understand country ways.

Nor will they. I am afraid most are likely to be middle class liberal who cry about the poverty in the city and how unfair it is and get as far away from it as possible.

Wanting to fit in is half way there.
    Must go as I have to get some of that Cider drunk and i have to get up early for the once a week bus.

Markie
    Free Member

Double post? If so it’s because I missed this…

brandeberryj – Member

Use the bus often?

Used it twice every working weekday for the first two years we were here. Then got a scooter. Now use it about half the times I head into town. Do you use your local buses?

completely escapes outsiders as they expect supermarket prices for everything.

Pay the odd token visit to the village shop do you ?

I use the village shop and the supermarket. Understand the village shop has higher prices, but also am grateful for the convenience and sociability it provides.

And where do the rest go don’t they like there kids going near the locals the plague is over is gone.

Ketchup with those chips? I doubt anyone here chooses not to send their child to the village schools in an attempt to avoid locals!

About the same proportion then go to private school instead of the state secondaries in the nearby towns.

Now we are getting there doing them a favour are you?

How did I imply that? Just noting that whatever secondary schools parents here choose, it makes no difference to the village primary school.

Maybe the pub needs to change to meet the needs of the newcomers

That says it all!

Is that so unreasonable? The business only has to change if it wants to win new business and that change is necessary to win this new business. Generational change will have the same effect, albeit more slowly, at a guess.

I can’t imagine anyone here having any truck with someone complaining about the dawn chorus, or the smell of muck spreading, or the sound of shotguns or sheep. Same goes for tractors on the road and mud on the footpaths – we know we’re in the countryside and we’re glad of it. In my experience this is true for most of those who move to the countryside.

Bunnyhop

Our local village has a shopping scheme, whereby a cash prize is on offer every month for people who use the local facilities.
    Each shop or business has a stamp, once your card is full then its placed into the draw.
    These are the sort of things that make sense to me.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It’s just the way of the modern world. Small shops and businesses struggle to survive in rural communities as everything is cheaper from the supermarket, big chains and online shopping. In turn there’s no jobs for youngsters and young people are increasingly attracted by the city lifestyle.

I was recently chatting to an old friend on facebook. He was from a sleepy East Yorkshire coastal town and moved to increasingly bigger towns until he ended up living in Hull which he loved. He was a passionate northerner. Now he stays in London where he say’s he’s ‘living the dream’ and now say’s he hates Hull. People have different aspirations in the modern world and older people have the money to ‘live the dream’ in the countryside.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I would nt be supervised if most of these “Townies” actually grew up in a rural area/small town, moved to the city and have now moved back to a rural area (abit a different rural area).

Personally I dont think many people who really grow up in a properly busy city want to move to the country side.

Also its quite easy to grow up in a small almost rural town and actually have very little to do with rural life.

I mean when I was a kid there was a farm 30 seconds down the road and miles of countryside but my links were to the town cant say I knew any farmers or anything about farming.

I loved the countryside around for cycling through but I was never really part of it in the way your describing.

Actually when I think of the average UK person this is kinda what I think of someone who lives in Suburbia near the countryside but whose links are too the town.

SD-253
    Free Member

Markie – Member

I can’t imagine anyone here having any truck with someone complaining about the dawn chorus, or the smell of muck spreading, or the sound of shotguns or sheep. Same goes for tractors on the road and mud on the footpaths – we know we’re in the countryside and we’re glad of it. In my experience this is true for most of those who move to the countryside.

Erhh remind me was that anything to do with you?

Ketchup with those chips?

Would love to know what this comment has to do with this blog Unless you are say all those working class only eat chips and ketchup. A bit snobby??

SD-253
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member
    scu98rkr – Member
    I would nt be supervised if most of these “Townies” actually grew up in a rural area/small town, moved to the city and have now moved back to a rural area (abit a different rural area).

A statement not entirely without merit as I know of a few

Personally I dont think many people who really grow up in a properly busy city want to move to the country side.

Now come on scu98rkr this whole blog is saying the exact opposite. I was brought up in a busy city and they are shit holes….at least thats what I feel. I would rather have cancer than move back…….not terminal cancer mind you or testicular cancer, terminal or otherwise.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Now come on scu98rkr this whole blog is saying the exact opposite. I was brought up in a busy city and they are shit holes….at least that what I feel. I would rather have cancer than move back…….not terminal cancer or testicular cancer terminal or otherwise.

ok probably over exaggerating to a large extent. Maybe what I meant is the majority of city dwellers either CANT or DONT want to move out of the city. I mean if every person who grow up in a city in this country suddenly managed to move out that would be 20 million or more people wanting to move to the countryside.

My point is the people the OP is complaining about are probably semi rural all ready.

PS Im not disagreeing with your assessment of city life

Markie
    Free Member

😀 Well, yes – at least just as much as most everything else posted on this open thread.

Unless you are say all those working class only eat chips and ketchup. A bit snobby??

Woosh.

SD-253
    Free Member

Markie – Member

Well, yes – at least just as much as most everything else posted on this open thread
    No I think you will find it is do with people who don’t and don’t want to fit in. Does that describe you? If not why are you defending people it does describe?

Woosh.

Argh another meaningfull statement? If you loose the arguement just say something total meaningless

timber

I’ll go with brandeberryj on this one.

If I was working in the rural sector in West Cornwall where I grew up I’d be struggling to rent, let alone buy. Incomers bringing their city house prices to one of the lowest paying areas. Know a guy back home that is a fisherman, but can’t afford to live in the village his boat is moored so is 10 miles INLAND. Great for those 2am starts. Note to in-movers, there wouldn’t be a rattly truck charging through the village streets at 2am if he could walk to his boat.

Going off on one now.
    Anyway, currently quite settled in mid Wales and will inevitably end up in another rural area (no forests in the city centres) as I know I am incompatible with urban living so shan’t inflict myself on the townies again.

Too easy a subject to rant on and everyone is a different case.

Saccades
    Free Member

double woosh…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Note to in-movers, there wouldn’t be a rattly truck charging through the village streets at 2am if he could walk to his boat.

Note to locals. If you didn’t sell your houses at over-inflated prices to in-movers for filthy lucre, then the fisherman would still be able to walk to his boat 🙂

funkynick

Just out of interest, are there actually enough jobs in the rural economy to support all the villages/small towns without having any ‘incomers’?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The problem of people wanting to live in Rural areas but not being able to find work there will all sort itself out in a few years. When half the working population will be forced to work remotely because the company you work for wont want to pay for an office building anymore when people can just log into the system from home.

This will probably lead to a fall in prices houses near business centres and transport links. As everyone will need an office in their house now they’ll be even more people wanting to move to larger properties in the countryside. Which will increase prices there.

Obviously this still wont help you if your a fisherman. But you wont be complaining about people living in the countryside and commuting to the city anymore.

SD-253
    Free Member

funkynick – Member
    Just out of interest, are there actually enough jobs in the rural economy to support all the villages/small towns without having any ‘incomers’?

Probably! You can always have small business. I spent huge amounts of time walking and cycling around Lancashire and you would not believe how many mills I found. Now one or two were big economy of scale ones in Ramsbottom for instance. But a lot were making high tech products can’t remember the name but stuff for the aircraft industry…………..Carbon Fiber? And they were in the middle of nowhere. Now this is a bit odd there was in our village a firm making tea towels it moved because it was doing so well it needed bigger premises quite a few people worked for it. Then there was the head case who sold magic wands…..honest. I think it went out of business because of people like me bringing back the wands. “It doesn’t work my ex has not died of the most painful decease known to man”. There is still a furniture maker and a glass company. So I expect it could. What do you think the incomers are doing Markie says he is working? Of course if they are mainly retired they won’t need a job??????

SD-253
    Free Member

timber – Member
    I’ll go with brandeberryj on this one.

If I was working in the rural sector in West Cornwall where I grew up I’d be struggling to rent, let alone buy. Incomers bringing their city house prices to one of the lowest paying areas.

I think you are right that area is the lowest paying rural area in Britain AND one with one of the highest house price. Furthermore a huge amount are people with second homes. Am I right on the latter?

qwerty
    Free Member

wot no Starbucks 😯

SD-253
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member
    The problem of people wanting to live in Rural areas but not being able to find work there will all sort itself out in a few years. When half the working population will be forced to work remotely because the company you work for wont want to pay for an office building anymore when people can just log into the system from home.

This will probably lead to a fall in prices houses near business centres and transport links. As everyone will need an office in their house now they’ll be even more people wanting to move to larger properties in the countryside. Which will increase prices there.

Obviously this still wont help you if your a fisherman. But you wont be complaining about people living in the countryside and commuting to the city anymore.
    Not sure that you are right there what can you make remotely. Now people who sit in an office all day maybe can work from home but I don’t believe we are looking at 50%?

SD-253
    Free Member

senor j – Member
    A complaint went in last year from recent “incomers” that the cocks were making too much noise in the morning.WTF!

I got a new neighbour about 18 months ago she has about 6 cocks and 30 or 40 chickens” Now I don’t need an alarm clock! Joking although I expect I am closer to them than anyone else they don’t wake me up. The benefits of hard of hearing? or just a deep sleeper? Not sure which. I do enjoy there crowing when I go for an early morning pee.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Not sure that you are right there what can you make remotely. Now people who sit in an office all day maybe can work from home but I don’t believe we are looking at 50%?

I’d be interested to know what percentage of the working population basically work in an office.

I’d include job there that are mainly based in an office environment but also have occasional site visits.

SD-253
    Free Member

“I’d be interested to know what percentage of the working population basically work in an office.

I’d include job there that are mainly based in an office environment but also have occasional site visits.”

I have always wonder if it was possible to work in a call centre from home? Or should I say work as call centre staff from home?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m with the OP but in a rather less generous way> I hate the “improvements”. Barns should have sheep in them not people. better they collapse than that.
    What I don’t like as well are those who come to the country, either to live or for the day and then want all the trappings of civilisation. carparks, visitor centres to tell them to look after the countryside (stay at home) and gravelled cycle tracks where mud does the job perfectly.
    Where do I live? The FoD.

crikey
    Free Member

I always assumed ‘the country’ was a nice quiet place, but it appears to full of people whinging and whining….

kennyp
    Free Member

running these shops as a hobby

Better than the shops lying empty though, surely?

winterfold
    Free Member

crikey – often its the people who have moved in who moan though. They are quite surprised that the countryside has things like cockrels, farmers driving tractors at the crack of dawn, horseshit, cowshit, bored yobboes greenlaning defender v8s, people shooting guns all weekend, a primary school, kids playing football on the rec, owls hooting and other rural annoyances.

They seem to think it’s going to be like Barnes, but quieter. Fail.

rkk01
    Free Member

OP is being far to friendly to the emits.

People have different aspirations in the modern world and older people have the money to ‘live the dream’ in the countryside.

And that’s the biggest rub. Those with the money have the choice. If you are from rural working class your choice is low aspiration, low pay & crappy rented accommodation – or move out.

Rural “ethnic” cleansing by rich urban tossers.

So many people just don’t “get” the implications of their free market choices.

rkk01
    Free Member

Note to locals. If you didn’t sell your houses at over-inflated prices to in-movers for filthy lucre, then the fisherman would still be able to walk to his boat

Sorry, but this is utter shite.

Absolutely contemptuous, or just plain naive.

Who owned the frigging house to start with?
    Sure as he’ll wasn’t the “fisherman” to keep with the same metaphor.

The properties were owned by the big landowners, and were sold off piecemeal for readies during the last century. In the main, they weren’t sold to the local families – they didn’t have the flipping money (because they worked for the skint landowner… And wouldn’t even have gotten to meet the bank manager)

timber

Not sure of the % working in offices, but something picked up at work suggested only 2% of the population work the land.

The fisherman isn’t in the village, because when faced with selling your house at market price or double, which do you choose? Would you honestly take the lesser offer? Very few are that unmaterialistic or active community supporters.
    Or another take, if there is more than one son/daughter, the house can’t be split unless sold and the share gets smaller.

SD-253
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

Note to locals. If you didn’t sell your houses at over-inflated prices to in-movers for filthy lucre, then the fisherman would still be able to walk to his boat

Sorry, but this is utter shite.

Absolutely contemptuous, or just plain naive.

The properties were owned by the big landowners, and were sold off piecemeal for readies during the last century. In the main, they weren’t sold to the local families – they didn’t have the flipping money (because they worked for the skint landowner… And wouldn’t even have gotten to meet the bank manager)

brandeberryj That’s right anyone who lived in rural areas never owned there own property. Furthemore they ate shite for breakfast everyday while you just talk it. Nothing like a bit of left wing generalistion. By the way the last century was 1900 – 2000?

brandeberryj Why not? fishing was highly profitable for years why wouldn’t he own his own home. You do know they do actually own there own boats? and they don’t come free with a packet of Rice Krispies. They are…..whats the word…expensive?

The properties were owned by the big landowners

brandeberryj And everyday they beat the workers with sticks and paid them with sticlebacks (thats a tiny little fish by the way)

In the main, they weren’t sold to the local families

brandeberryj Who exactly were they sold to? and does that mean they (the fisherman) couldn’t have bought them at a latter date?

SD-253
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    OP is being far to friendly to the emits.

People have different aspirations in the modern world and older people have the money to ‘live the dream’ in the countryside.

And that’s the biggest rub. Those with the money have the choice. If you are from rural working class your choice is low aspiration, low pay & crappy rented accommodation – or move out.

Rural “ethnic” cleansing by rich urban tossers.

So many people just don’t “get” the implications of their free market choices.
    Bollocks this next bit was totaly in favour of your views qouted above rkk01…….Well nearly all but lost it all by pressing the back button. My previous views against you stand though note based on what you said about fishermen. You should not comapare them to rural workers. Bollocks again, but must clean my house as my children will be hear soon and they insist I clean the house no mess no dust….what do they think wood burners do other than heat the house. PS lets have hate a second home owner day no week no lifetime

molgrips
    Free Member

which immigrant groups won’t learn the language then?

Quite. England has similar problems

Does it hell. The status of English in England is completely different to the status of Welsh in Wales innit?

Anyway. All this talk of Herefordshire has got me curious.. I gew up in Leominster.

But this story of incomers causing social problems is a long and sad one that’s for sure. HOWEVER, I would like to point out that the changing global economy and market forces has meant that many small village businesses can’t compete. However it has also meant that we can buy cars, TVs and food isn’t expensive any more.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Might I politely suggest that unless you actually live in the sort of rural place that has these issues, you are most likely arguing from theory or prejudice rather than any practical experience.
    This makes your views less valid.
    Non polite way. BS

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘'Move to the Country' – why does this annoy me!’ is closed to new replies.