Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mounting roof rack on car without roof rails – possible (new shape A3 sportback)
  • Lofty
    Free Member

Does anyone run a roof mounted bike rack that’s mounted without roof rails?

I’ve just ordered a new shape A3 sportback but I haven’t gone for the roof rails, does this mean I’m not going to be able to find a decent roof rack?

Thanks

jam-bo

roof rails make things much, much easier.

adrec
    Free Member

Very possible. I’ve got a 09 golf and there was plenty of choice when I bought my rack.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re ordering a brand new car which has the option of roof rails, and you plan on using it with a roof rack, why on earth wouldn’t you order them? Yes you can use racks without roof rails – otherwise the owners of saloons and hatches would be stuffed – and they’re what I used for many years. However they’re nowhere near as secure or as easy to use.

timmys

I have a current shape A3 sportback without roof rails that I have used a Thule roof rack with with no problem. I don’t know how long it takes companies like Thule to produce the required footpack for a new to the market car though. If I could afford a brand new A3, I’d personaly spring the extra few hundred for a removable towbar and go that route rather than roof mounted.

simonjj
    Free Member

I had the same issue with my A3 Sportback, it’s a 2012 car so not the new shape like you have ordered but it gives you an idea.
    I went with the Thule 754 mounts (with 1417 kit and key pack), 969 Wingbars and 591 ProRide carriers (not fitted in the pic).

Looking on the Thule website you would just need to change the 1417 kit for 1708 to suit the newer car.
    Got all mine from my LBS – Noahs Ark near Stroud.

pdw
    Free Member

Cars without roof rails often have a means to secure roof racks. My old Golf had bolts hidden under the door seals, so they can be perfectly secure, but the rubber feet didn’t do the paintwork any favours.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi lofty, my previous car was an 09 A3 sport back. I still have the Thule feet in the garage . If they will fit your car you can have them for the cost of postage.
    Steve.

Email steph dot madde at o2 dot co dot uk.

andyl
    Free Member

^ you could try some rectangles of PU tape (aka heli or frame tape) onto where the rubber feet stick and use a hairdryer to remove it later on. When you get moisture trapped between the rubber feet you get a degradation of the paint and the rubber can stick to the paint/lacquer and then pull it off. Good idea to not leave your rack on for a long time and clean and dry the area before fitting.

Going to try this on my next car as I pulled off some lacquer from our old one after leaving the roof rack on for a year 😳

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mounting roof rack on car without roof rails – possible (new shape A3 sportback)’ is closed to new replies.