Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mounting heavy mirror on stud/plasterboard wall – tips please?
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Wife wants me to hang a heavy ‘Living Etc’ leather framed mirror on stud wall, 50mm studs backing onto a brick wall.

Any tips on hardware to use? Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

depends, how many screws, can you screw into studs?

Stoner
    Free Member

How heavy? Is it screw mounted or hung on wire?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’d have to find the studs first

project
    Free Member

Fix 3 or 4 galass plates to rear of mirror, and then screw to wall using plasterboard fixing use long screws, because trhe screw need to pull the wall plug open , try on aspare bit of palasterboard.

Or pop down to your nearest independant hardware shop and ask for some sky hooks, and a long stand to support them while they dry.

project
    Free Member

To fnd the studs either a stud detector from Band q, or tap and tap again for the studs usually 16 inches apart verticaly, thats up and down.

Trekster
    BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Stoner, Two big rings on the back of the mirror and previously we used big ass expanding metal bolts into a solid wall, I haven’t weighed it but more than 10kg without a doubt

neninja
    Free Member

You can get picture/mirror z-mounts – 2 z-shaped bars plates – one mounts to the wall, the other to the mirror frame.

You can get one that will span most of the width of the mirror and fix it to the wall using stud wall specific plugs.

Get them here –
    http://www.picturehangers.co.uk/z-bars.html

kevj
    Free Member

I would spread the load by screwing a timber ‘plate’ to the wall via a good number of studs. Buy the type that you pre-screw the female part into the plaster board (big helix) then fix the timber plate.

Then hang mirror to hooks in timber plate as normal.

EDIT; studs as trekster link

Stoner
    Free Member

I was going to suggest what neninja has. If it’s proper heavy (10Kg isnt really).
    Old skool method was to rip a strip of wood with an angled cut, attach one to the picture the other to the wall and the weight of the picture keeps it planted.

stumpyjon

Hollow wall anchors.

These, don’t know how many times I’ve answered this question, should be a sticky thread. 😆 My radiators hang off plasterboard with these beasties, don’t think they’ll be bothered by your mirror. Can be worth getting the setting tool as well.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

get a floating plank and fix to that?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

+1 what StumpyJon said

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Leather framed mirror!? 😯

That’s the problem there, not your plasterboard walls

😀

-m-
    Free Member

As Stoner has indicated 10Kg isn’t massively heavy given the way the weight will hang on the wall. I’d go with stumpyjon’s suggestion, but would mention that rather than a setting tool you can set them fairly easily with the claw of a claw hammer (certainly good enough if you’re only doing a couple).

DrJ

Ignoramus question – exactly how do you use the hollow wall anchors?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Leather framed mirror!?

That’s the problem there, not your plasterboard walls

Tell me about it! I shall hunt out some hollow wall anchors and post pics should I **** up and tear half the wall down

poly
    Free Member

“Ignoramus question – exactly how do you use the hollow wall anchors?”

Without a special tool this is what I do:

– drill a hole, just the right size that the anchor will fit neatly / snuggle (you don’t want it to spin. In my case 6mm is the right size, but I prefer to drill a 5.5mm hole and then use the anchor to widen it up to fit neatly.
    – screw up the anchor (if using a power tool beware its possible to strip the threads with too much force).
    – as it screws in, the far end of the anchor is pulled towards you bending the four “legs” outwards behind the plasterboard. You don’t need to do it up very tight, but if you are going to screw through a thick fitting/bracket on the item you are handing it will need to go most of the way.
    – now unscrew the screw. Put the screw through the hole in the item you are hanging and screw it up. Again beware that overdoing the torque will strip the threads in the anchor giving you a problem (it will be useless and be difficult to replace)

wurzelcube
    Free Member

StumpyJon +1

I used the plastic version for hanging a heavy mirror, hasn’t budged in 4 years.

Also, I’m fairly sure I drilled mine at an angle downwards into the wall (will probably be told that is the wrong thing to do…)

althepal

Drill a hole just big enough in plasterboard, tap in gently till the wee claws on the head bite into the plaster, screw on fixing.. You should feel the fitting at the back start to compress as it bites.. Screw in till you feel it not moving much- that’s the bit behind the wall compressed against the back of the plasterboard..
    Job done.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stumpy John has it, and use the expanding tool, they work a lot better that way!
    7 yrs ain’t it, if it breaks 😕

martinhutch

I stuck a mirror onto my daughter’s wall using stick-on velcro tape.

Took three minutes and works a treat, but not necessarily for folk who are not DIY gods like myself. Also may not work for leather frames…or heavier mirrors.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mounting heavy mirror on stud/plasterboard wall – tips please?’ is closed to new replies.