Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mounting bolts for caliper & adapter
  • stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Does anybody know where I can get some mounting bolts for Shimano calipers and adaptors? I’ve bought some XT brakes and mounting adaptors from eBay, none of which came with bolts.

Tried several LBS and Halfords, but they don’t sell them.

Are the Avid mounting kits compatable? What is the size I’m looking for if I order online?

Cheers,
    Dylan

brassneck

Chain Reaction last time I think

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Thanks. They have the Avid bolts (currently out of stock) but there is no indication if these are compatable with Shimano calipers and brackets. Anybody know if they are the same thing?

bigyinn
    Free Member

They are std bolts (M4??) IIRC, so pop down to your local hardware / fastener supplier and pick some up?

bencooper
    Free Member

The bolts that attach the caliper to the adaptor, and the adaptor to the IS disc mount?

M6, various lengths. Nothing special. I’m astounded at any shop that doesn’t have loads of them sitting about.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

The bolts that attach the caliper to the adaptor, and the adaptor to the IS disc mount?

Yep.

Evanscycles had one bolt lying about which they gave me, that’s about it of the ones I tried. So it’s M6 I’m looking for?

The genuine Shimano ones are drilled for lockwire.
    Other manufacturers tend to use bolts with pre-applied loctite.
    When the shops said they had no bolts in stock, they may have meant genuine replacement caliper and adapter bolts.
    Just use normal bolts. They don’t come undone.
    Like Ben, I can’t imagine any proper bike shop not keeping M6x16 or M6x20 socket cap screws in stock.

riddoch

Halfords have then, m6 bolts in with their other useful bike bits like crimps and cable ends. Avid bolts will work but tend to be surprisingly expensive as you also get their extra concave washers.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Brill. Loads on eBay but will check Halfords first. The shops I tried actually went through their spares drawers. I gave them a bolt from my stem (which was the same size) for comparison and explained what I needed it for (I also wanted 4 replacement bolts for my stem). They didn’t recognise it as M6…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mounting bolts for caliper & adapter’ is closed to new replies.