Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mounting a tv on plasterboard/stud wall?
  • TheFlyingOx

Just wondering how to do this. It’s an older Samsung 40″ thing so reasonably heavy compared to what can be achieved today. It’s going on a wall that, although brick/stone behind, is plasterboard on a wooden frame. Gap from plasterboard to brick is about 45mm.

Can I get a normal mount and just use really long bolts, or do I need something else?

carlos1974
    Free Member

Normal screws and plugs make sure screws are long enough and you tap plugs into the stone by knocking it in with the screw

TheFlyingOx

Marvellous work folks. STW is on fire tonight.

pipiom
    Free Member

I would cut a square of plasterboard out covering at least 2 uprights, screw a square of 20mm (min) ply in its place, and screw TV bracket to it……fitted loads like this…..problem with through-fixings with gap behind is you’ll be pulling the outer plasterboard in towards the brick/block…..

Lester
    Free Member
    pipiom
    Free Member

You’ve still got the issue of mounting on plasterboard with gap behind

Lester
    Free Member

the omnimount just goes into the plasterboard, up to 40lbs on drywall, the gap behind doesnt matter.
    my 3 tvs are all on plasterboard

carlos1974
    Free Member

It’s not exactly on plaster board its drylined which means there is stone or brick just behind it , as long as you drill into the stone /brick you will be fine ,over the years I have fitted hundreds of radiators this way ,a lot heavier than your tv , your just going to end up spending pointless money so as I said drill into stone/brick and use plugs and screws

Lester
    Free Member

excuse mybad, i thought dry lined was plasterboard 🙁
    still the kit is only £14

carlos1974
    Free Member

What I meant was its not just a plasterboard wall there is a stubstantial fixing behind it , plasterboard fixings are only as good as the plasterboard it’s self if it’s old or slightly damp the fixings can pull through, I’m only giving my experience being a tradesman not a diy fella

Superficial
    Free Member

Do you know where the wooden joists run? My house has these uprights at 24″ intervals. If there is a pair of conveniently-placed joists then mount it to them, or use fixings into the masonry either side of a joist so the fixings don’t compress the 45mm gap between the drywall / plasterboard and the wall.

Ultimately, whilst the TV is moderately-heavy, you’re not going to be swinging off the mount and it sits close to the wall so there’s not too much of a moment.

BenjiM

Have you thought about snap toggles?

Amazon Link

Lester
    Free Member

the three tvs i have fixed havent come loose in the 3 years they have been fitted, as the weight is mostly in shear force, most of the weight is diverted down rather than out and away from the board

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mounting a tv on plasterboard/stud wall?’ is closed to new replies.