Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • mounting a shock the right way round on the frame…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

got the call that my new air shock had finally landed at my LBS…when i got there they fitted the correct mounting hardware but did it so that the shaft would be at the front and the can towards the rear of the frame similar to the picture below…

however every other bike with this style of design seems to have the shock the other way round like the image below…

the guys at the shop said it shouldn’t really matter but what it the general opinion of the STW massive on this?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im confused, which of those pivotty-looking things is actually not a pivotty thing, but fixed? One of them has to be shirley?

nickjb
    Free Member

If I was fettling/bodging something myself then I’d be happy with it the wrong way. If I’d paid good money to a shop I’d want it right. The normal way is supposed to better for keeping the lubricating oil in the right place

wwaswas

Would it fit the other way round – doesn’t look like there’s much clearance at the top?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stoner

Its the lower shock eyelet thats fixed. Another silly Specialized shock design.

Gonzy is that a new shock from Push?

It wont fit the other way round as current shape Enduros have a key in the lower shock mount. The Fox one will be done at the factory, the RS one will have been machined to fit the key. It is machined at that end because that part is easy to remove from the rest of the shock and a lot cheaper than the stanchion if they bugger it up.

Stoner
    Free Member

how does it “fix”, is the eyelet of the shock keyed or something?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stoner see edit.

Stoner
    Free Member

gotcha.

what a dumb design 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

sorry guys but the images above were for illustration purposes only…i dont own those bikes…
    the shock in question is a rock shox monarch rl and it going on the bike below…

i’ve fitted the shock to the bike but at the moment the shock face the same direction as the shock on the red and black frame…just wanted to know is this the wrong way around or would it be better to have it the other way round…

gonzy
    Free Member

and this is the shock in question….

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    gotcha.

what a dumb design

Certainly is. I would quite like to replace the coil shock on mine with an air shock but can’t because its different again.

patriotpro
    Free Member

http://www.specialized.co.uk/us/en/bikes/mountain/endurofsr

^^^^The S-Works one has it fitted upside down^^^^

nick1962
    Free Member

sorry guys but the images above were for illustration purposes only.

Just to confuse everyone

gonzy
    Free Member

Just to confuse everyone

😳 sorry!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Patriot

Thats because its a special factory built shock. If you look closely you will see that there is no eyelet on the CCDBA on the S-Works as there is a bot that just goes straight into the body of the shock.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just wasted ten minutes of my life googling Spesh shock images 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and Gonzy

It doesn’t really matter on that frame. If the spacing is the same you can just undo the shock bolts and turn it the other way round.

nick1962
    Free Member

T’other way up but different shock ?

DezB
    Free Member

The blue bike in your pic has the shaft at the front/top ..

wwaswas

I like this thread. It has potential.

nick1962
    Free Member

Personally if it fits I would fit it the right way round.Not like this.
    Go rigid less faff.

gonzy
    Free Member

If the spacing is the same you can just undo the shock bolts and turn it the other way round.

the spacing isnt the same on the frame…so i’ll have to drift out the mounts from the shock eyelets and install them the other way around…i was hoping that i would be able to get away with it as it is…

wwaswas

i was hoping that i would be able to get away with it as it is…

they’ve replicated the way that the old shock was mounted and that didn’t cause any problems?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can you reach the controls?

I_Ache
    Free Member

It doesn’t look as good but won’t affect performance, if your happy then leave it as it is.

gonzy
    Free Member

bike in your pic has the shaft at the front/top ..

so does that mean the new air shock can go on with the shaft at the front/top or should the shaft be facing the other way?

DezB
    Free Member

Found a few pics of air shocks and they are all the other way round though, with the shock upside-down

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dont know the bike but that’s not the ideal way round whatever

1, Oil runs away from the bushes (as mentioned before) so you will get shaft wear quicker
    2, Greater un-sprung mass means poorer performance

Unlike specialized to do that by design

DezB
    Free Member
    I_Ache
    Free Member

Greater un-sprung mass means poorer performance

Not really, all of the oil is inside the stanchion so its not really going to make much difference if any at all.

gonzy
    Free Member

they’ve replicated the way that the old shock was mounted

to be honest i bought the frame second hand and the shock came facing that way even though the manufacturers images show the shock to be facing the same way as in nick1962’s image….
    the shock on my frame was pretty much borked as the rebound didnt work properly and the reservoir was leaky…so i dont know how well it would perform in that position from before…

Can you reach the controls?

i can reach the controls for the new shock with it facing either way…if i couldnt i’d understand but seeing as i can i’m now wondering if it would be better the other way round

It doesn’t look as good but won’t affect performance if your happy then leave it as it is.

i’ve still yet to take it for a test ride so i guess i should try it like this to see how it rides first…

I_Ache
    Free Member

It will ride exactly the same as if you turn it the other way round.

gonzy
    Free Member

It will ride exactly the same as if you turn it the other way round.

so it doesnt matter which way the shock faces?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not really, all of the oil is inside the stanchion so its not really going to make much difference if any at all.

The difference may be marginal but its still a difference so why mount it incorrectly for no reason??

…and it will definitely wear out quicker which is more important

gonzy
    Free Member

after taking all opinions into consideration and having a long hard stare at the bike last night i decided it didnt look right so i did the switch…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m sure that’s better – the only thing moving now is the cylinder and the oil/air.

Previously it was everything else, valving and more weight.

I’d guess the previous way round might have not performed as well, and perhaps starved the outer seals/foam rings of oil.

Did it take long?

gonzy
    Free Member

Did it take long?

took about 15 minutes to do everything… 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Haha. Coo. Enjoy the riding, brother.

robj20
    Free Member

My air shock is mounted like so. On the CCDB Air the can end is far lighter than the damper end, but its fitted purely this way round so it fits.

Northwind

ndthornton – Member

…and it will definitely wear out quicker which is more important

Doubt it tbh, the oil doesn’t just sit at the bottom of the shock, it gets flung around constantly and coats everything thoroughly. Only difference will be that the seal isn’t bathed while the bike’s parked, though with the shock at such an angle most of it won’t be regardless of what way up the bike is. No different to a fork.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘mounting a shock the right way round on the frame…’ is closed to new replies.