Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mountains – Summer toboggans – anyone been?
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me about the Summer toboggans in the Alps?
    I am a big kid at heart and would love to have a go. My wife hasn’t been to a mountain range & fancies the trip too.
    Are they only really worth it for kids?

Thinking of going to one at Biberwier, Austrian Tyrol, as it’s quite long. It’s a long way to go just for that, but we’d be doing other tourist stuff there or en-route.

This video of one in Switzerland made it look like a laugh;
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwzcn-gdeHc[/video]

Does anyone have any other recommendations for one to do? (Llandudno ski centre doesn’t count!)

* This will be done in our 20+ yr old Talbot camper van. Hopefully it won’t prove asthmatic at altitude…

pictonroad

This would be my lottery win summer for the family. A tour round all of them, they look awesome. 8)

(no help, sorry, but I’m with you…)

cheviots
    Free Member

The one at Swadlincote is quite good, but obviously a lot shorter!
    Zip Fforest in N.Wales are currently building one of the railed type toboggan runs, due to open shortly.

boxelder

We did one in France last summer – near Annecy. Kids and Mrs loved it. I preferred the walk up the hill and wander around the higher slopes. the Alps is a great place with kids, in good weather. In a camper, you can just head south if it craps out though. Austria/Germany go big on swimming pools, which our kids love.

ajantom

I did one years ago in the Vosges. Was great fun – though I did manage to come off the track/run at the bottom on one run. Too much speed into the final corner sent me sideways. Was a bit scary, but luckily they had some netting up!

nickjb
    Free Member

We did the one in morzine. Quite fun for something to do. Not sure I’d make a special trip for it but worth doing as one of a few activities. The morzine one is a dual track so you can race (unofficially) but one line is slower. It is possible to come out the track so you do need to drive it a bit.

martinhutch

Did one somewhere near Saalbach – good fun, but you have to watch out for the nutters who try to smash into the back of your kids as they tootle down.

lazybike
    Free Member

I did one of those when I was staying in Gerardmer..it was on the German border, it was good fun, they had warning signs for the tight turns and jumps..I would recommend leaving plenty of space to the person in front, it’s not like you can overtake.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Intriguing…… May still consider it but possibly not trek all the way there in the van then, perhaps wrap it into a general summer mountain trip instead & just fly to Geneva or somewhere near the hills. Cheers all.

colp

Did one somewhere near Saalbach – good fun, but you have to watch out for the nutters who try to smash into the back of your kids as they tootle down.

The Biberg in Saalfelden. Last time I did it I decided to see if you can go flat out the whole way, I assumed that they would design it so you can’t crash.
    I was wrong. Barrel rolled in the air off one of the big berms and landed back on the track on my side. It burned most of the skin off my left forearm, took months to heal!
    The woman there who dressed my wound said some locals do it in their motorbike leathers.

To the OP, look into Zell Am See area (Zell, Saalbach, Leogang). Loads to do in Summer and the toboggan above.

rickmeister

Our local one, I guess you could fly to Basel on easy jet, hire a car, nip to Todtnau and do this and get back home for tea and medals….

[video]https://youtu.be/LpnrQdibDHs[/video]

nickjb
    Free Member

perhaps wrap it into a general summer mountain trip

Do thus. Most good places have loads to do within easy reach. White water rafting, hydrospeed, via ferrata, zip line, tandem paraglide, even mountain biking.

martinhutch

It burned most of the skin off my left forearm, took months to heal!

Ouch! Glad I minced down the thing now. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mountains – Summer toboggans – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.