Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mountainbiking in Scotland – where to go and stay?
  • MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Hej!

Me + a friend went MTB:ing in Scotland last summer, it was so good that we decided to go again this year. So, in less than three weeks we're off to Scotland!

Last time, we spent some days in Glentress and Innerleithen, in Kirroughtree, Nevis Range and Laggan Wolftrax. We haven't decided yet where to go this time, but will start in the southern part for sure. Any suggestions of where to go? Which of the 7 Stanes that we haven't tried are worth riding? Any recommendations of where to stay? We will rent a car so will have no problems getting around. The only thing that might stop us is that volcano…

Thanks for helping!
    Maria

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Perhaps some of the "natural rides" out there in the mountains stuff?

falkirk-mark

10 UTB is on 15 May at Fort William if you are there then. (or that way inclined)

crikey
    Free Member

Why not do a few days in Scotland then go south to the Lake district?

stucol
    Free Member

If its southern Scotland then you should try Ae, Dalbeattie, Mabie and of course Drumlanrig. All are very close together around Dumfries.

If you fancy heading up to the Laggan area again you will find a large amount of natural trails in the Cairngorms. Superb scenery and trails.

And if you do go up there it would be a shame to not go a little further and do Golspie too.

Or you could head up to Fort william area. Lenachan forest, Nevis range and the loops around Kinlochleven too.

In short your spoilt for choice.

Enjoy.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

or go over to aviemore for a wee bit – glenmore, loch einich, loch morlich, sligachan loop, feshiebridge ? just up a wee bit from laggan and before you get to golspie

Trekster

What stucol says
    http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/
    http://www.thebreakpad.com/
    OS78 has a lot of good riding on it around the Drumlanrig area.
    Need/want a guide for local stuff around Dumfries give me a shout, work shifts so may be available when you are around.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Borders? You've ticked that already…;-)

Assuming you can navigate / are self sufficient head for the wilds ( Gorms, Torridon, Glencoe et al)

Plenty of guide books kicking around – Kenny Wilsons for starters….

devs
    Free Member

Google sleeperzzz and make that your base to do Golspie, Balblair, Carbisdale and Learnie. Do Aviemore and spend a couple of days riding natural stuff that will blow you away. You can revisit Laggan from there too. It sounds as if you prefer trail centre kind of riding so you could visit the Moray Monster trails but TBH you'd be better off getting someone to show you the local natural stuff or head on down to the Stanes.

soulrider
    Free Member

ANother vote for sleeperzz have stayed there and the local pub is great.
    and taking in the Northern trails that Devs Mentioned.
    around the corner is Moray – with the Monster Trails but as above the local natural stuff is far better.. and still rideable even when wet.

Next stop Aviemore with a mass of beautiful natural stuff Carn ban mor depending on your fitness is a day out in its selfs – then you would have to stop in possibly the best cake shop ever!

then Laggan is on your way home – unless you want to head over to Fort Bill and instead of the Nevis Range ask for local advice (or go to one of the bike shops and get the map) and do some of the natural trails.

I havent even mentioned the south eastern Cairngorms Loch Muick/Glencova area.

As you found last year Scotland aint just the Stanes.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Ochils near Stirling? We can show you some awesome, natural trails and it's on the way to Aviemore, which always makes sense!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You will only experience what Scotland really has to offer by getting out and doing the big natural stuff. None of the trail centres are in the truly stunning parts of Scotland, and none offer the unique experience of fabulous riding in remoteness and scenery you will not find anywhere else in the world

duir
    Free Member

Going all the way to Scotland and then riding only trail centers is like being an avid rock climber, going all the way to Scotland to climb and then climbing only at indoor climbing walls!

The trail centers are great places to ride and workshop features and skills but maybe just on an evening after your days riding is done or for a quick couple of hours on the way home after a mountainous weekend.

Seriously there are some of the most mind blowing trails in Scotland that you will never find at a trail center.

If you still prefer the trail centers then I think Laggan Black and Golspie Black are the best but certainly not a full days worth unless you do several loops.

cuckoo
    Free Member

As other posters have already stated the natural riding in Scotland is excellent.

If you like riding at trail centres it sounds like you have already ridden at most of the best ones in Scotland (with the exception of the far NE).

If it is trail centre riding you are after and you want to visit new places maybe you would fair better heading for Wales this time.

banginon

Drumlanrig not a stane and somewhat different to the other trail centers. Also a bit of culture in the castle if you want more than riding. You can do a good big day out in the Lowther hills out of the back of the singletrack but it is a huge day out. I can only assume cuckoo hasn't yet had the pleasure ;o)

robgarrioch

You might be interested in this recent thread – Torridon routes.
    And if so, the local website is here – Visit Torridon

caloomba
    Free Member

if you want to stay somewhere central and travel all over the country, then give this place in Stirling a try:

The Courtyard, Stirling

🙂

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Thank you so much everyone! 🙂

Gaaah – there are so many places to choose between that I better hope we get to Scotland, then Eyjafjallajökull decides to activate itself again and we'll have to stay for another month or so, to be able to explore all places you're suggesting.

I would love to ride some natural trails, we will definitely try to do that! The only problem is that we're not bringing our own bikes but renting, which means we need to find places to rent bikes fairly close to the natural trails. Plus get ourselves a car big enough to fit two bikes and two persons with big backpacks. Rental cars seldom include bike racks… The bike thing is also the reason why we were only riding at trail centers last year.

Do you know if there are any places up north close to any of the natural trails that you mention, where we can rent bikes?

//Maria

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bothy bikes in Aviemore. Bike rental and by reputation all round good guys – trail maps and advice available as well. Easy do a couple of days natural rinding or more around there

http://www.bothybikes.co.uk/

Trekster

what bangin on says;
    Lowther area;

Might not be "big mountains" but it is pretty remote

italspark
    Free Member

try pitlochry…….loads of nice trails and a bike hire shop with top coffee, ask for big malcolm.
    just google "escape route"

ojom
    Free Member

If you end up down Edinburgh way we would be delighted to show you the delights in the area and we could even see if FlyingFox dudes would like to meet up to play at Dumyat.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Rental cars are not a problem, i used them for biking for years. Enterprise were the best to deal with i found.

There was never an issue with putting the bikes in the back, just put a sheet down to catch the worst of the mud.

A Fiesta/Corsa/Clio/Micra are all easily big enough for 2 bikes and kit. Avoid the very cheapest class of rental, if you get a Ka or Matiz you are stuffed.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You need to get north to get to the big hills and the best of the scenery. Bothy Bikes HERE in Aviemore hire good bikes and are indeed top blokes. Aviemore is probably about the best place to base yourself as it has some of the best biking in Scotland literally on the doorstep, is really central to get at anywhere else in the Highlands, and has a huge amount of accomodation. Vies with Ft William as the outdoor centre of Scotland

banginon

I'd be happy to sort you out with some very nice bikes for your tour if you choose the SW.

Mat

'if you get a Ka or Matiz you are stuffed.'

you can get 4 bikes and 2 people inside a ka mkI I'll have you know! just got to have the car packing skillz. Admitidly I do have a Mondeo estate now

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! Tacktacktack!

All info is GREAT! For sure we have to go to Aviemore, as well as some other places up North.

I might contact some of you again as we're getting closer to taking off (leaving Sunday May 9, as long as that volcano stays quiet).

//Maria & Jennie

Hal
    Free Member

Get up to Ballater and stay at http://www.habitat-at-ballater.com/?Home, then get in touch with http://www.cyclehighlands.com/ or http://www.9zerofreewheelers.co.uk/ and ride some of the best natural trails in Scotland. 8)

cuckoo
    Free Member

If you are renting bikes, have a hire car and have already ridden the 7-Stanes I would seriously consider heading a bit further south into the English Lake District for the first part of your trip.

It should be in good condition in early May and there are bike hire options. Again it is another area where the natural riding is better than the trail centres (IMO) but you have the option of both.

Heading North upto Aviemore and the Cairngorms to sample the natural riding for the second part of your trip sounds like a good plan also.

missinglink
    Free Member

there's a few trails in Aviemore area that are blocked with downed trees (have been clearing them but is taking time due to the amount thats come down) but if you want to avoid these the guys in bothy could point you the right way or there's a few us riding there most days so you could join in with us if you want.
    as for some of the higher trails like Carn Ban More, theres still a fair bit of snow up top and it was snowing again at the end of last week. if you want an update closer to you arriving let me know!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mountainbiking in Scotland – where to go and stay?’ is closed to new replies.