Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “mountainbikers”
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some kids rode where they shouldnt be and built a bonfire arroud a tree at the NT park my dad woks at. We’re probably talking kids on bikes, not mountainbikers.

Now this adds fuel to the debate that all MTB’ers are bad and there’s talk of banning bikes (at the moment we’re not banned, but in no way encouraged by the stiles/gates).

Anoyingly though theres no talk about banning car drivers, despite the big problem with chavy wannabe McRae’s going “drifting” on the medow. Again we’re talking kids in cars, not car drivers. And thats before we get annoyed by the commuters looking for a shortcut that thought it would be ok to push through some iron gates causing 000’s worth of damage.

So how do I argue for a tenuous right to ride in my own back yard, without resorting to the above argument which will just wind people up.

p.s. if anyone knows of the pyromaniac riders , the police and fire brigade would like a quiet word.

sofatester
    Free Member

Hands up anyone on here who has never “drifted” their car, made a bonfire, or ridden where their not suposed to? 😆

Good luck!

antigee

and what about the cottaging dads on harley’s giving hoodies on mini mo’s a bad name?

antigee

or you could try referring to the NT’s national policy (in my opinion for what it is worth)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chl/w-countryside_environment/w-activities/w-activities-cycling/w-activities-cycling-good_practice.htm

nickc

By arguing that a ban will do nothing to stop vandals, and everything to discourage a growing section of the real outdoor user market.

druidh
    Free Member

Whilst considering the revised access laws for Scotland. it was successfully argued that encouraging legitimate, responsible users actually decreases problems of vandalism etc.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Visual intrusion on open mountain and moorland. Mountain Biking and the Environment (Adventure and Environmental Awareness Group, 1992) recommends that mountain biking is in most cases inappropriate in such wilderness areas.

Like that bit – so mountain bikers are visually more intrusive than horse riders and walkers. And we also can cause a problem to walkers and horse riders – what about horse riders and walkers who block paths and rights of way so that mountainbikers have to slow, poss to a stop or even get off – happened to me a few times 😉 Sorry I digress. Scotland have it sorted I agree!

Xan
    Free Member

WE (Scotland) do have it right with regards to access laws, however you still need to put up with all the moaning old biddys lol. I still get on a regular basis angry looks when on calnal paths and the like of the WHW from walker that do not like you being their. I have been moaned at on a few occassions with people saying the likes of “you are not allowed here on a bike” , em…….oh yes I am!!!

the above is unfortunate, I do alot on organised 4×4 events and still get tree huggers and members of the public complaining about what we do and call us “neds/Chavs” and that we are socially unacceptable all because of a small minority that abuse their rights and give us all a bad name.

Same as when you see some idiot weaviong through traffic or a bust pavement and upsetting people. FRom then on these people tend to tar everyone on a bike with the same brush.

Age old story you always remenber the idiot that nearly ran you over or damaged something, you don’t tend to remember the average STW’er that will slow down for you, respect other users and the area that they are in. This is who most of us are and dont think we will ever manage to ger rid of the ones that waste it for us all.

Rant over!!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“recommends that mountain biking is in most cases inappropriate in such wilderness areas.”

By definition, people are inappropriate in a “Wilderness” area, unless you’re out hunting with a stone-tipped spear! (that could be fun)

England has no wilderness. Scotland has a sort of manufactured wilderness in the sense that it’s unnaturally deforested and de-populated.

z1ppy

what’s it matter, no matter how many signs they put up, they’re not going to stop MTB-er going where they want…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Bad news re the tree etc, but is there actually anywhere worth riding in Calke anyway? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

the above is unfortunate, I do alot on organised 4×4 events and still get tree huggers and members of the public complaining about what we do and call us “neds/Chavs” and that we are socially unacceptable all because of a small minority that abuse their rights and give us all a bad name

Living directly opposite a RUPP in the SE i’d say that minority is about 80% 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea the ridings pretty crap, more pissed off with the principle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘“mountainbikers”’ is closed to new replies.