Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mountain Warehouse vs Dare2b
  • SaxonRider

Which is better in terms of quality, generally? Any opinions?

My kids got these dare2b winter jackets from Go Outdoors a couple of years ago, and apparently, they don’t work and aren’t warm.

Meanwhile, Mrs SR was in city centre today and stopped in Mountain Warehouse to look at jackets. The thing is, my impression of them is that they are no better than the stuff from Go Outdoors.

I know I’m not being specific about which articles I am talking about but isn’t the quality of both brands a bit on the cheap side?

scotroutes

They are both at the more “budget ” end, yes. Having said that, you’ll often pick up stuff that’s good enough for the price. I wouldn’t dismiss it all as cheap rubbish.

Try Decathlon. Their own brand stuff is pretty good. Normally, the higher number attached to it, the better the quality (e.g. the 700 is always better than the 500).

Go Outdoors also do a range of other brands, so cover most price/quality brackets.

TomB

In the same vein, Tog24 and Trespass do the same thing as mountain warehouse, own brands at ‘discount’, variable quality but good if you find the right thing. My kids are both in Trespass winter jackets at the moment.

km79
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon, they do have some crap but its easy to spot, their good stuff is superior compared to the two brands you mention and for a similar budget.

MoreCashThanDash

Depends what you expect – our kids have had lots of decent use out of Mountain Warehouse kit and boots, cheap enough to not worry about wear and tear or growing out of them, good enough for the kind of activities we do.

As stated above, higher end Decathlon stuff is a good price/value compromise.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lately the likes of Mountain Warehouse and Trespass have really upped their game. I have only two items of MW clothing, both base layers, and they are the best I’ve owned.

My kids have also had MW jackets which have been bombproof and grown out of.

kayak23

I’m a total Dare2b fanboi. I’ve had lots of items from them at crazy prices in their clearance.

Been really impressed with the quality and can’t think of a single thing I’ve not been happy with. Ended up buying two of most things, but it’s mainly the jackets I’m addicted to.

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few things from Dare2B and have no complaints whatsoever. I’ve a soft shell jacket I bought for mtb but haven’t really worn it biking as it seems to good. Also have shorts, a polo shirt and a fleece top. All incredible cheap and decent quality.

I haven’t tried decathlon but probably will at some point.

alanf
    Free Member

Decathlon has been miles better than MW in the past for our kids.
    Not sure what the quality is like these days at MW as we default to decathlon now and don’t bother looking at MW.

matt_outandabout

Decathlon and sales of ‘better’ brands.

My children as soon as they could moved to a proper layering system – cheap fleeces with good waterproofs on top. They find it warmer and more comfy than the big ski/padded all in ones of younger years – or perhaps that is because it is less drafty than the boxy cut of other brands.

My kids currently rock Patagonia, Marmot and Sprayway jackets. Don’t bother with the Patagonia (apart from it was £20…)

ads678

I bought a Dare2B jacket in their sales, the one that was reviewed on here or in the fresh goods friday thoing, and it’s excellent. Well worth the £35 I paid for it, not sure it’s worth the full RRP but then my North Face jacket is not worth any where near it’s £250 RRP!!

The Dare2B shorts I bought are not as good as the jacket, and I wouldn’t have wanted to pay much more than the tenner i got them for.

barkm
    Free Member

big fan of decathlon, their x-lite down jacket was the absolute runaway best buy I made in 2016, outstanding value and quality.
    Also got some trail boots/shoes from there, very good.

mark90
    Free Member

On the other hand my d2b shorts are one of my favorite pairs. 4 way stretch, good fit, really comfy, enough pockets. They get a lot of wear and are lasting well.

Would say d2b is a cut above MW. We do have some MW gear, some of it better than others. Pick and choose, and consider price vrs expected longevity.

I probably have more items of ‘budget’ outdoor wear than ‘premium’. Though I am more picky on jackets and footwear.

matt_outandabout

That reminds me – we have a Berghaus ski jacket, aged 10-12 for sale…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mini THM very kindly and generously bought me a MT Whorehouse ski jacket for Xmas. Would not be my normal choice, but cant be ungrateful

Actually seems remarkably well made and warm – but the real test is yet to come

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s much harder to justify being a brand snob these days!

johndoh
    Free Member

Dare2b is an utterly appalling brand name though – it sounds like some wannabe upmarket lingerie firm.

stumpy01

teamhurtmore – Member

Mini THM very kindly and generously bought me a MT Whorehouse ski jacket for Xmas

Where did he get that from?!

Equally funny if an autocorrect mistake, as your device seems to prefer Whorehouse to Warehouse!!

Edric64
    Free Member

Dare 2 Be and Mountain Whorehouse jackets have proved to be dismal failures in the waterproof department from the first use .You would be better off buying army surplus Goretex

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Warehouse vs Dare2b’ is closed to new replies.