Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – what bike to ride
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s my first crack at MM solo this year (done 3 as a team of 4) and I’m in a bit of a pickle as to which bike I should take, I was going to take both my 29’er Anthem and my 29’er Carbon HT but and it’s a big but, after the event I’m meeting the family in wales for a weeks holiday and storage ain’t exactly great for two bikes. Also I’m essentially doing it unsupported – the very kind Mr. Rocketdog has said I can camp with them but I don’t want to impose too much you see, mechanicng, bike cleaning and the obvious security of leaving one bike unattended for hours at a time.

The HT has far better clearance and less things for mud to catch on but the Anthem will probably be comfier.
    The HT is a fair chunk lighter and is 1×10, the Anthem less so and 2×10.

I’ve got spare wheels with ‘them’ tyres on incase of you know, precipitation so that’s an easy one.

Ultimately, WWSTWD?

richpips
    Free Member

I’d take the HT.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The take the Ht, your pocket will like you better 😀

sockpuppet

Clearance and lightness far outweigh the comfort factor IMO, as long as the HT fits well.

I’ve done solos on FS, and have done the SDW-in-day on FS and on HT, and I reckon HT will be fine.

curlie467
    Free Member

Take the KTM Steve.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Deffo HT

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t remember a single bumpy bit in last years course, and gearing didn’t matter as it was all stupidly steep uphill and everyone was pushing.

rOcKeTdOg

HT all the way, I used a FS 29er last year & it was overkill. Will be HT this year.

P.S. mechanicing by committee of course is available, I’m bringing a hammer what could possibly go wrong?

mboy
    Free Member

Hardtail all the way. FS is not only overkill, but totally pointless at Gatcombe IMO.

Take some very narrow tyres too, for when the course cuts up (and it will, even if it’s not raining), you’ll be thankful of them whilst the going is soft.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

HT. Remember you will have to replace all moving parts after the inevitable mud fest. Minimise the moving parts!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mud x’s are on the spare wheels, ht it is

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – what bike to ride’ is closed to new replies.