Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem virgin – hints, tips and advice
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have signed up for Team Bullheart at MM this year. I am part of the slow team so I guess I will get one or two laps in.

What bike? I have the choice of a Full suss 27 speed XC bike or a fully rigid SS or fixie.

Can I ride the course when I am not on a team lap?

What should I take that I am bound to forget.

amt27
    Free Member

are entries open already?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No idea.

I don’t even know the dates or location

djflexure

I did it last year as a newbie and really enjoyed it.
    There is quite a bit of steep climbing so SS would not be my first choice. A short travel XC bike would be perfect.
    You can go round the course the day before. Don’t think you are supposed to be out while not racing – may confuse their timing controls – don’t know if there is a way around this.
    Remember your lights.
    Good luck.

pete68
    Free Member

First bit of advise would be to wait to see if your team gets in as the entries don’t open for another week and a half. As long as you’re quick you should be ok but it does sell out fast.

hels
    Free Member

Trust me you don’t need to reccie the course, in fact I would save your energy. And no you aren’t meant to have more than one rider on the course at the same time, not just messing up the timing but could be construed as cheating….

Have fun ! My only advice would be a clean set of clothes for each lap, put them on straight away when you come back from your last lap.

Order of play on lap return: clothes, food, bike prep for next lap (OK hand bike to nice mechanic guy but whatever), rest, eat more.

I love these events for the fun of being in the team, and because my bike actually gets cleaned properly and more than once !!

And always always always take a back-up light at night, you will only make that mistake once !

thomthumb
    Free Member

take the SS as a spare bike for if it gets muddy. with CX tyres if they’ll fit.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You can ride the course the day before or even in the morning.

As you’re only doing 2 race laps there’s not much to think about. Bring some 1.5″ mud tyres though. Just in case.

I’d focus on beer, music, cake, taking photos, finding a good spot to heckle (bring a monkey suit and megaphone). Consider doing your lap in a mankini.

DaveRambo

Make sure the entry is in the post a week on Monday or deliver it by hand.

If it’s 1 or 2 laps it won’t really matter what you ride – There’ll be people on all sorts and a lap is only 9 miles or so.

The most important thing is to have the right attitude and fun.

It’s a cracking event so ignore those who complain about it not being hard enough/not as good as other events etc
    I’m a relative newbie having done it 3 times and despite it hurting at the time it’s the first date on my calendar each year.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay.

Entry is being sorted by Team Bullheart so I will just bring both bikes, a brewery and a relaxed attitude.

Cheers

Nick

PS If you want to contribute just go to the just Giving site mentioned in this thread http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/win-coaching-session-with-jedi-for-just-5-support-team-bullheart#post-2290836 and stick WCA in the comments box. You will still be eligable for Dianes raffle.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

My first time too,

I’m in a team of 4 and will be taking the CX bike and my 456.

Can I donate to Team Bullheart on the day?

Dom

trickydisco
    Free Member

Didn’t think CX bikes were allowed now?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Oh.

I just assumed as it was a fairly relaxed event you could ride whatcha wanted.

Hey ho.

Just the 456 then!

Sawyer
    Free Member

I did it SS and rigid last year. My advice would be gears and suspension.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

i will take both bikes and both the normal SS and the fixie as that covers most bases.

Can’t wear fancy dress as we are in Team Bullheart colours. I will have a red arse like a baboon though.

Donations to Team Bullheart welcome at any time.

mmb
    Free Member

i’ve only got a fully rigid ss so no dilemma there! i’ve done mayhem twice now and it’s great fun, dates this year are the 25th and 26th june i believe and you’ll find it at eastnor castle deer park in ledbury, near gloucester a little south of worcester.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

SS rigid is the way forward!

As it will rain this year (after 2 dry years!!), you will only rip your gears off in the mud, so why bother with them in the first place….

edit: forgot to mention the westons cider brewery is only a few miles down the road and well worth going to for a tour!!

Saccades
    Free Member

get an alfine, 2005 was the last straw for me….. maybe 2006.

amt27
    Free Member

dates this year are the 25th and 26th june i believe

then you’d be turning up a week late

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Make sure you take some skinny mud tyres

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem virgin – hints, tips and advice’ is closed to new replies.