Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem ….. Single speed?
  • letmetalktomark

I rode MM for the first time last year.

It was a bit of an eye opener if I am honest. Great event but I had forgotten what hills actually were ….. I use to live in the southwest and now east anglia.

I fancy brining along a SS rigid bike for a bit of fun.

I usually ride 32 x 16 and am fine if left to my own devices I.e. not having to keep up with a group 😳

Should 32 x 18 be okay – 32 x 20 seems a bit extreme for the non up bits 😐

steve_b77
    Free Member

I SS’d last year on 32:18, fine on the hills but too spinny on the flats

Picto
    Free Member

Did it on 32×18 on a 29er – equivalent of 32×16 on a 26er I think. It was tough on the climbs. Ended up walking a few sections, usually the last section of the steeper climbs. Did it on 34×20 year after and it was still tough on the climbs but could get up all of them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Did my 1st lap 32:16.

Changed to 32:18 for the next one….

As said, a bit spinny, but great fun mind.. 🙂

BrickMan

32:18 sounds sensible to me.

I think with MM its not top end speed you want, but ability to just keep on trudging at a decent pace which that will give you. Probably be walking the steeper bits after a few hours but then a lot of others will too because of gears being all over the place!

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve done all bar one Mayhems 32-16 or equivalent, makes some of the hills a bit hard, but if you have to walk you’re going about the same speed others are twiddling up

also it’s my SS gear for everywhere, if i need to change gear to suit a different area i take my geared bike

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s my fist mayhem and I’m taking the SS with 32:16 as my 2nd bike. if its too tough I’ll push it 😀

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep did it SS with a 32:17 and was perfect. I normally run 32:16 but thought I’d give myself an easier time. This was as part of a team however so go lots of rest in between each lap

ciderinsport
    Free Member

32:20 here – but I am old and fat, and not trying to win 😆

ScotlandTheScared

32:16 here. Managed to ride pretty close to all of it last year (similar course) with only a few walky bits. Great fun (or am I imagining that part?).

MrSparkle

I did it on 32:16 a few years ago. It seemed ok to me.

dot
    Free Member

32:18 last year and all rideable (i iz well ‘ard!) 😆
    32:17 this year!

gee
    Free Member

What gear for pushing?

dot
    Free Member

Try 32:13 guaranteed push

oxym0r0n

Always done it on 32:17. Don’t listen to JoB – his team are always really fast and win the SS category :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem ….. Single speed?’ is closed to new replies.