• This topic has 162 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!
  • That depends on your perspective.
    After 11 hours on a single speed, Ashton Court certainly doesn’t feel flat. 😛

tuffty
    Free Member

Had to apologise, feel bad, relative newbie on here too. Having read what people said about the mess left at last years event it appears our estate might have got off lightly.

aP
    Free Member

I reckon Sennybridge.

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought Sennybridge – but doesn’t fit the <40 from Eastnor

ricksternicolai
    Free Member

ok everybody start this rumor it will force an answer as I need to book my hols NOW .
    “The organisers have been faced with a 50k clean up bill fron Eastnor which did not get paid and they have not yet secured a new venue due to insurance complications,suitability etc and our about to cancel the event”
    this is all guess work but will force an answer.

gee
    Free Member

I heard rumours a couple of years ago about a private estate in the grounds of a large country house – in the vicinity of Eastnor – as a replacement venue. I seem to remember it even had tunnels in the rock (!) to ride through. Can’t remember the name though.

mrmo
    Free Member

I heard rumours a couple of years ago about a private estate in the grounds of a large country house – in the vicinity of Eastnor – as a replacement venue. I seem to remember it even had tunnels in the rock (!) to ride through. Can’t remember the name though.

sounds like somewhere in the FoD? Clearwell?????

jamj1974

Hawkstone Park has tunnels through rock. Did a Midlands Super Series race there in either ’96 or ’97

ricksternicolai
    Free Member

So they are cancelling the event then are they ? they still dont have a venue so travelling is yet an unknown quantitiy 40 miles further than Eastnor is a no go for us up here

grtdkad

Eastnor Castle to Pontrilas (SAS Base) Herefordshire = ~29 miles

#JustSayin

Virgin territory. Woods & surfaced. Good PR for the ‘landlord’

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Why do people keep suggesting places in the east midlands its not 40 miles from eastnor.

zangolin
    Free Member

Whitfield Estate may be a possibility near Ewyas Harold (8 miles south of Hereford)

http://www.whitfield-hereford.com/

grtdkad

sku98rkr … Hereford moved to the East Midlands. Are you sure?

bigblackshed

Somewhere in Hereford would be good. That way I can pop home for a shower, sleep in my own bad and be up fresh and ready for a dawn lap with a full english inside me. 8)

numplumz
    Free Member

So tuffty, do you work for the Duke of Buccleuch estate then if theres a tough mudder there?

I just realised this is the weekend after BBF.
    12 & 24 hour solo races only a week apart is a bit much for me. 🙁

Trimix
    Free Member

Sounds like you now have a target to aim for MidlandTQ.

hinzebeans
    Free Member

“searched the length and breadth of the UK tirelessly to find the perfect venue”

Absolute Bobbins !

As ever its all about the southern ‘Jeremy’s’ on their brand new 5K carbon full sussers…… what has happened to arranging Mountain Mayhem further North and somewhere near a mountain at least.
    I have done most Mayhems since the final one at Sandwell and I have given up hope of it ever being held somewhere north of Birmingham.

Why does it always have to be held in the South of the country, when we have many more hills & varied terrain ‘up north’ … you know – where there are cobbles on the M1 and ferrets running everywhere.

You will be pleased to know that last year was my last ….

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve always found Eastnor sufficeintly hilly

tuffty
    Free Member

So tuffty, do you work for the Duke of Buccleuch estate then if theres a tough mudder there?

Yes I do 😉
    Its OK for biking round, but I never thought it would make a great venue for mayhem, way too flat and heavy clay soil 🙁

grtdkad

So, is the new Mayhem location the best kept secret in cycling or is the venue still to be found/booked?

crazy-legs

what has happened to arranging Mountain Mayhem further North and somewhere near a mountain at least.
    I have done most Mayhems since the final one at Sandwell and I have given up hope of it ever being held somewhere north of Birmingham.

Why does it always have to be held in the South of the country, when we have many more hills & varied terrain ‘up north’ …

Excellent, well if you can find a venue on private land (cos you’re not allowed to race on bridleways) with an “amphitheatre” / campsite on some reasonably level ground capable of acommodating 3000 MTBers plus another 2000 or so support people, all their cars/caravans/camper vans/tents, trade stands, HGV access and be able to produce a course of about 10 miles in length with somewhere in the region of 1200-1500ft climbing per lap, rideable by all-comers from complete beginners to Elites that stands up to most weather then I’m sure the organisers would love to hear from you.

Oh and ideally the place should be reasonably central for easy access to most people (so sort of M4 corridor northwards to about Lake District ish), near a motorway and cost less than £60,000 for a week’s hire.

Off you go now.

Daffy

Dyrham Park is 40 miles (south east) from Eastnor as the crow flies. It’s sufficiently hilly, has decent drainage and easy access to the M4. You can also hire the place….

pitbitch
    Free Member

Princess Anne places ?

dave360

Gatcombe Park is a good guess Mr(?) Bitch. 40 odd miles from Eastnor, used for 3 day eventing. The jumps will be fun.

aracer
    Free Member

I skied around Eastnor yesterday. I don’t know why everybody complains about it so much – not a single bit of mud to be found anywhere. Admittedly the conditions may be a little different in June.

rkk01
    Free Member

Still nothing on location?

Entry time is drawing closer – and other stuff is appearing in the diary

flyinbrian
    Free Member

feb 5th all will be revealed according to twitter

flyinbrian
    Free Member

i dont understand what your panick isabout you have a date and know its either 40 miles closer to or 40 further away?

DFaffMaster

I know they said that it’s never held a mountain bike race but I last raced at Hawkstone Park in 1996!!

Great course especially if they send you through the caves with the fairy lights. 😯

That knee is still giving me problems….

[/url] 2013-01-29 18.02.03 by Mountybiker, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] 2013-01-29 18.22.44 by Mountybiker, on Flickr[/img]

bullandbladder
    Free Member

^^That looks cool!^^

IanMunro
    Free Member

I see it comes comes pre-prepped courtesy of motocrossers 😀

zangolin
    Free Member

There is an MX event on at Hawkstone MX track the same weekend as the Mayhem Dates – never been there so is it big enough for the 2 events to run at the same time?
    https://secure.amca.uk.com/multievents/displayEvent.asp?Type=Full&Code=4427

tang
    Free Member

Gatcombe would make an excellent venue I live round the corner and can see some jumps from my office! Can’t see it though. For future ref a good friend who is a pro conti roadie has just inherited a large estate in the Cotswolds brimming with event potential.

rkk01
    Free Member

i dont understand what your panick isabout you have a date and know its either 40 miles closer to or 40 further away?

🙄

As a family we have other commitments to work around. My son has ballet on that Sunday, so bringing MM forward a week is a pita (also just 1 week after the Dragon Ride).

So location becomes an important part of the decision

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

….and the winner of the most anticipated waterproof mtb course of 2013 IS….

jota180
    Free Member

It’s the NEC, indoors

Mark

Front page – now! 🙂

simondbarnes

I’m not sure anyone cares now.

Trimix
    Free Member

Lets hope the course is not on horsey double track then 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!’ is closed to new replies.