Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem 24hr roll call
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

The end of an era indeed.

Since doing my first solo in 2011 I’ve always wanted to get into the top 10 and finally managed it this year, on the last one.
    Finished 8th yesterday with 24 laps, chuffed to bits.

Sad it won’t be on next year but hopefully there’s something even better to replace it

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well an end of an era!

Had a pretty rough race as I had to stop at 6 hours as I’d lost control of legs through cramp and dehydration. Managed to get back on bike at midnight but had to keep pace even slower to avoid cramping. Horrible! Only 11 laps this year :’-(

That said, the course was great this year! Great atmosphere and something to remember (perhaps in my case for the wrong reasons!).

Thanks to Pat and all the team for putting on such impressive events. BZ!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sure is an end of an era. That was our 18th. We were young when we started and now we’re not. Our kids that we brought with us became teammates and then started bringing their own kids.

Awesome way to end.

akira

Great race, the heat on Saturday was unreal. Lack not fitness and ongoing chest infection meant not going for anything amazing in our team but really enjoyed it. The night laps were bliss after the heat of the day.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We were young when we started and now we’re not. Our kids that we brought with us became teammates and then started bringing their own kids.

Love that post.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got mixed emotions about MM. Wanted to do it for years, but never got round to it until now.
    After a semi sleepless week I was gubbed even before the event started, and the heat on Saturday absolutely killed me. Got the most horrendous cramps at various points and ended up chewing Nunn hydration capsules to try to fix it (and drinking loads).
    The first laps after dark were actually the best as it wasn’t so warm, but I was fully on the way out. I only managed 10 laps in total before I bailed at 4am.
    Quite disapointed to have done so badly, but pleased that I gave it a go.

Anyone know where the results are posted?

grtdkad

Great event from Pat, Jill, Vin et al – loved the course this year, fast, fun and challenging all at the same time.
    My 12th consecutive MM, this year in a team of four, managing to get a total of 22laps before fatigue set in.

We must have 30-35 Mayhems between us and knocking-on 200yrs as a team of Vets! Let’s see what Pat has in mind for 2018 ;0)

gee
    Free Member

We heard that one member of the team that beat us had been to Mayhem 18 or so years ago in a crib.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did they give any hint on what they are doing next?

I was at MM from the start, missed a few years along the way, but then the prices started to rocket, and when it went to Gatcombe that was the final nail in the coffin for me, too far to travel for a mediocre course.

I hope they manage to do something else.

onewheelgood

My 15th Mayhem in a row, in a team of 5 this year that even with the inclusion of my daughter had an average age of 46ish. This year’s course was certainly the best at Gatcombe, maybe even the best of my 15 events. Organisation as excellent as ever, atmosphere still great even with the reduced numbers, and the huge increase in the number of soloists helps me feel less slow out on the course. One of the strengths of Mayhem has always been that it is an event for everyone, from world class athletes to people who ride because it helps them justify another beer (and maybe a pie). For me it’s been a great 15 years, and thanks to everyone who made it what it was, organisers, competitors, hecklers and sponsors. Here’s to whatever comes next…

salsaboy

too far to travel for a mediocre course.

All the people i rode with and or spoke to said it was a great course. I loved it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The first year at Gatcombe was mediocre. It’s got better every year and this year it really was a great course. The weather helped.

TheSanityAssassin

FunkyDunc – Member

Did they give any hint on what they are doing next?

I was at MM from the start, missed a few years along the way, but then the prices started to rocket, and when it went to Gatcombe that was the final nail in the coffin for me, too far to travel for a mediocre course.

I hope they manage to do something else.

I’m not sure what more you could expect from the course of a mass-participation event set in a country park? Lots of places to pass/be passed safely, not much flat, challenging climbs, challenging descents, a lap length of around 7 miles (making it the right length to get plenty of laps in, whatever the size of your team) and all in a beautiful setting. Tell us, what would get the Dunc seal of approval?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If that was a mediocre course then the good ones must be amazing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Tell us, what would get the Dunc seal of approval?

The original Sandwell Park had more interesting bits, as did Eastnor. Sleepless used to have some good sections when it was it’s original venue near Stoke.

If you read my post I said the original Gatcombe course. 1 section of singletrack by the lake and then lots of grassy fields or fireroad tracks. They said it was improved for year 2 but the improvements were minimal. Plus commercial control that stopped independent cycle shops turning up. Oh and then there were not enough showers, and what there were closed and left early.

Things may have improved since, but that was enough for me and many others to think it had had its time

kearos
    Free Member

To be fair to Dunc, I agree with a lot of what he says re the 1st Gatcombe course and event. The lap was pretty dull.

However, having missed last year, they seemed to remedy that well this year. Really liked the course. Might have been a bit of ‘mare in the wet mind, but was nearly all rideable for the less experience with some bits that were a bit more challenging to ride fast.

I did miss the old arena and variety of retailers this year, I couldn’t even buy a bottle cage! Also missed the all night catering tent, but think that is a general trend.

Great weekend all told. Interested to see what happens next.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Also missed the all night catering tent

To be honest, given the quality of the coffee and crepes at the Crepe stand, it was probably for the best that it was closed during the night.

It really was awful.

mr_stru

I really enjoyed the course and seeing as I’m still on the way home that counts for something on the course to distance travelled metric.

Not that I go for the course. It’s a weekend of hanging about in a field with your mates with a spot of light racing thrown in to give you a reason to justify all the “I might fancy that at 2am” food you bought. I also think that since the live to Gatcome it’s become a bit more relaxed which I’ve liked.

I think this was always going to be my last as after 13 years the travel was getting to be a bit of a damper but I will miss it. I’ve had some terrible moments on night laps when the weather or I have been ropey but way more good memories.

In summary, thanks Pat and co.

grahamh
    Free Member

Few pictures from the week end

link

cakefacesmallblock

Very good grahamh, thanks. Couple of shots of two of our little gang.

gee
    Free Member

That course was brilliant – such an excellent combination of singletrack and fire roads. The singletrack was brilliant – really flowed well, passable-on and never too much in one go so you got stuck.

tang
    Free Member

The other endurance is set up, not sleeping much during and breaking down the site in searing heat.
    We had fun chopping in a few new lines. Relationships with estates take time, year 1 we could hardly touch much. I got to sly a lap in with you all which was great fun. Imagine that course with no trees!
    Lots of great moments but the weirdest was me and Pat having to drive to a 24hr pharmacy on Barton st in Gloucester at 1.30am on Sunday morning to get a emergency insulin pen for a marshal. Accosted by ladies of the night, a Lithuanian disco and a few fights. All part of the fun of a mayhem night.

The lonesome damp patch post race, I’m sure that shoe print has a story, as does every tyre mark. That’s Mayhem for me, a narrative that’s been with us as riders for so long. A huge part of our lovely community and open to all riding together.

All together now

Crew, like a family

Weirdly I look out at the final climb most days and will always remember the riders of Mayhem!

mr_stru

Weirdly I look out at the final climb most days

I’ve often looked at that house and wondered if they mind all the noise and weird lights in the night. I guess not 🙂

rickk

Thanks for the insights tang, for me it was a great course, with the possible exception of the drag back up to the campsite.
    I asked a few years ago why the Eastnor course was getting long vs previous years. Turns out there’s a limit of riders per mile beyond which insurance can’t be had – so side benefit of reducing numbers is a shorter course. Which you probably worked out is my preference.
    Very glad I made it to the swansong event, a wonderful job by all the organising team – hope there is more to come with Mayhem 2.0 but in the meantime thank you for some wonderful memories.

teamslug
    Free Member

Got home this afternoon after a brilliant weekend. My 4th solo event and managed 18 laps. First time I’ve ever gone straight thru the 24 hours with only 20 or 30 min stops to refuel etc. The heat didn’t really affect me too much as I managed to pace it really well. Thanks to team jmc for their support and to everyone I spoke to out on the course, it really makes a difference when I was struggling. Great banter and only one or ‘ elite rider’ moments DBAD. Apologies to anyone that got stuck behind the two man team jmc rolling road block!. Finally thanks to Pat, Jill, Vin, Alec etc for a fantastic event and what was in my opinion a brilliant course for this type of event.

cakefest
    Free Member

I really enjoyed this my 19th Mayhem (my team’s 20th) and thought the course was great with flowing singletrack and dry weather. There’s such a great connection with other riders, team mates, family, youngsters, fast and slow riders, and it’s inspiring to see everyone keep going at whatever pace they can. Many congratulations and thanks to Pat and his crew for all their hard work over 20 years for putting on a wonderful event with a great legacy.

tweedviper
    Free Member

We all thought the course was FANTASTIC and a lot of time and effort was put into it all, thoroughly good effort Tang and gang.
    as for next year, Tang can we count on you to take up the challenge and deliver another great event?

Some great pics here

http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/dylbic/album/988558

https://daisydogphotos.smugmug.com/Cycling-

http://www.robcrayton.co.uk/profile.htm

routerhead

My 8th Mayhem and 3rd riding solo. The first year at Gatcombe wasn’t the best, but it got better every year after. As I was soloing I didn’t really notice how good or bad the catering was. The post race bacon and egg butty tasted really good, but after 24 hours of energy bars and gels any proper food would have!!! 😉
    Wrote my thoughts down of how my race went, if your a bit bored: http://wp.me/p6nxZH-3r

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem 24hr roll call’ is closed to new replies.