Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem 2016 roll call
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Your all welcome.
    The kids enjoyed it.

Jeeble

Sat with my feet up today after bagging my first ever Mayhem podium with my Nationwide team. We lost a team member during the night so I was doing every second lap from about 3am! Loved the last banzai lap, trying to get an extra lap and racing with @Gee (clearly cruising) for a bit. Delighted that our efforts resulted in getting on the podium and pretty nice to meet Princess Anne!

First time I’ve raced at Gatcombe having raced a number of Mayhems at both Sandwell and at Eastnor. For a 24hr race I couldn’t get over how steep some of the descents and climbs were. I know that at a few points I was getting off and walking on a couple of the climbs; How the soloists kept going on some of those climbs I’ll never know. I also overcooked the steep left hander and went OTB!

Glad to hear that the guy who was stretchered off was ok; wasn’t there someone else that collapsed on the start finish area?

I didn’t have any problems with anyone walking down any of the descents but the course does have to cater for all abilities, so some longer ‘B’ lines would work really well I think. The quality of the riding from everyone was excellent. Other riders were really accommodating if you gave enough warning – even on the steep bits.

The organisation and logistics were superb as always. Clean portaloos, hot showers. First time there with kids and they had so much fun with the pyjama run, mini mayhem and all the activities on site.

Nice photos in the thread and when I came past the water pistols I was at least asked if I wanted to be soaked or not 🙂

There was a lot of talk of retirement from Mayhem in my team during the weekend, so I might have to start looking for a new team for next year – definitely want to be there though.

pete68
    Free Member

My first time since the first gatcombe one. Really well organised with lots going on. Thought the beer tent was a good addition although probably didn’t help having to race the next day! Thanks for the encouragement front Gee, just because I was on a pivot. I raced in the mixed pairs and pleased to get 3rd. Great prizes from exposure and leyzne as well. Personally think the course has too much climbing for a 24hr race. Lots of riders walking quite early on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xcstu
    Free Member

At the time wasn’t enjoying the course but looking back I did haha..
    Rest of the team struggled a bit and ended up finishing low overall ;-/

Would def say thought for a 24hr race the climbs were a bit brutal and did see lots walking.. Solos hats off 🙂

Have done a few MM over the years and thought was lacking at bit of the wacky atmosphere of old and the trade stands very boring and later on in the evening was like a ghost town 🙁 Quiets campsite for a 24hr event ever haha..!!

akira

Was great fun, kids loved it although looking after the kids when not riding does rather tire you out for actually riding. Stunning middle of the field performance for my team.

gee
    Free Member

Jeeble – was that you on the Santa Cruz on the last lap? Did you make it back? Yes I’d sort of switched off by that point as I just needed to get round and we would win, so no risks were taken!

Pete68 – yes, you just don’t get that sort of encouragement if you buy a Specialized! #pivot #yournextbike

steve_b77
    Free Member

The one thing I was rather disappointed with was the amount of gel and energy bar wrappers discarded around the course.

We’re very privileged to be riding there, so we ought not to put that at risk by dropping litter.

chum3
    Free Member

Yes I’d sort of switched off by that point as I just needed to get round and we would win, so no risks were taken!

Yes – you were too far ahead for us to catch by that point, without some sort of mechanical. Quite hard to urge yourself on for the final lap, that being the case. Think we had one each, both very early on, so all’s fair on that score!

akira

Always feel bad for not jumping over the ramps on the grassy straights at the end but normally breathing out my arse so it’s not really an option. Need van just serving massive pasta bowls next year though. The macaroni I had on Saturday was good but was gone for Sunday?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Back home now. On reflection it was a brilliant event. Well organised as usual. Regarding the course I think I preferred it last year…wether or not that’s because it was dry I’m not sure
    I think the new decent was just a bit too techy especially for soloists at night especially after 15 – 20 laps and if it had rained I’m sure there would have been more accidents
    I suppose you’ve got to cater for all levels and team riders too but that’s my opinion. Maybe a “b” or “tired solo line” could be offered too?

Somethings I will remember

The atmosphere – awesome
    The misty dawn lap
    The encouragement from spectators
    The way that little drop off after the new swoopy bit changed every lap
    Getting to he bottom of the two dodgy descents and not falling off.

By the way I can’t down load the results on either an I pad or my lap top, any ideas?

grtdkad

Yeah Akira, I came in from a lap just after 8:30 on Saturday night and the “pulled pork & posh macaroni” guy had upped-sticks and gone. Apparently he’d not had enough sales so had decided to go. Perhaps no-one had explained the dynamics of a 24hr race to him. I’d been looking forward to a big bowl of steaming macaroni

#simplethings

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Have to agree about the gel wrappers it’s annoying as it’s just basic littering why people think it’s acceptable at a race is beyond me put it in your pockets!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Re gel wrappers:

I absolutely agree; if you can’t store the wrapper then don’t bother taking the gel bar.

Same with cigarettes & butts but don’t get me started….

gee
    Free Member

Too true – although I didn’t see that many wrappers.

Chum3 – yes we had a snapped chain on lap 2. What happened to your guy? Saw you had a long lap 1? It was a good race.

tang
    Free Member

Part and parcel of bike events, the gel thing, unfortunately. Clearing the course I picked up a fair few, but not a huge amount considering the time/traffic on course. In my mind I imagined a rider breathing out of their arse up one of the climbs, 14 hrs in bonked and missing their pocket, in which case it’s my pleasure. However if it’s some tour de cockwomble Wannabe, may you shit yourself profusely next time you OD the sauce sachets.

lump

I need to read the whole thread really. But just wanted to get off my rant. Why do people think its acceptable to park 7 cars in a row trackside next to there pit to relive others of the oportunity ?? Left a real sour taste of the selfishness of it, and once id spotted it it was all I saw. can people next year park behind there pit to ope it up for all ?

steve_b77
    Free Member

However if it’s some tour de cockwomble Wannabe, may you shit yourself profusely next time you OD the sauce sachets.

Nice sentiment, very well put.

Jeeble

Gee – yes that was me on the Santa Cruz riding for Nationwide (but not wearing Nationwide kit at that point). I didn’t quite make it through in time but had so much time trying. You were right, I was trying to catch Jo’s team who I met afterwards! They snuck in that extra lap to secure second spot. Really enjoyed riding with you for a bit – gave me a carrot to get up all the climbs on the last lap. Knew you were taking it easy when I realised I was pushing on!

mint5auce
    Free Member

Brilliantly put Tang

routerhead

Another year, another great event. Really liked the new additions to the course, even if the guy with the broken collar bone probably didn’t. A big hats off to the 2 guys who stayed with him.
    My race didn’t go quite as planned due to the dreaded energy gel tummy, doing the second half of the race powered only by porridge pots wasn’t ideal, but still a great weekend.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

” tour de cockwomble Wannabe “

fantastically well summed up !

It’s a shame gels are often given out at so many bike events.

Those banana fudge SiS bars given out at Mayhem; now those were damn nice !!

Mikertroid – it is indeed the same as cigarette butts, and black dog-doodoo bags, and McDonalds wrappers at traffic lights etc….

chum3
    Free Member

Wrappers – some XC courses are so fast and furious that getting a gel out, taking it, and putting the wrapper away without wrapping yourself around a tree (see what I did there?) is a bit of a challenge. The Mayhem course is NOT one of those courses, so there’s no excuse really.

What happened to your guy? Saw you had a long lap 1?

Not sure if we tempted fate or not here, but there’s only one of our team who has any running form, having done a sub 3 hour London marathon this year, so he was the obvious choice for the (much shorter, so we thought) start run.

He pinched his tyre 2/3 round the first lap and in the heat of the moment thought he was more advanced around the course than he was, so decided to run it rather than put a tube in.

Suffice to say we were all waiting for him in the arena and when we saw him running, the chap waiting to take over said “Someone did tell him he could ride his bike, right?!?” You have to maintain a sense of humour doing these things! And we were actually more relieved that he wasn’t injured…

He was gutted, and knackard, but it actually didn’t impact the result at all in the end.

Was a bit odd racing you guys, yet none of us saw you once on the course, for the full 24 hours. Seemed like we were chasing ghosts! I did some sums on the times, and I think we got to within a few mins of you at some point, but that was as close as it got.

We really enjoyed the event. The best one of the three we’ve done so far…

grtdkad

…chuffed that I made it in to the opening seconds of the Singletrack video on Facebook on Friday night (beers in hand).

4ndrewl

Apart from the plasticine mud, I thought it was a great weekend. I’d just like thank the guy who helped out with my cramping leg at the very top of the climb immediately before the water trough before the campsite. Totally forgot your name – Dan, Gary – but if you’re here, thanks!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone entered 2017 yet? Just getting over the 48 hour ‘never again’ stage….. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I will be doing come payday

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ll be entering tomorrow, had the go ahead from the wife!!.

snownrock

Not for me, 2nd mini me due in November so won’t be able to justify the training time required next year

jonny-m
    Free Member

Plenty of time, got till the end of the year haven’t you?

lump

Anyone seen any pics go up ? Ive not seen a link to any this year

tweedviper
    Free Member

Try this one

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem 2016 roll call’ is closed to new replies.