Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem 2016 roll call
  • beaker

Another cracking event! My legs ache but it’ll all be forgotten by tomorrow…. Roll on next year!

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I had a great race – except for the bit around midnight where I came off at the first drop-off, smashed my face into a rock, and pushed my teeth through my face, resulting in a pleasant rest of the evening at Gloucester Infirmary having my face stitched back together – yeah, apart from that, all good! The previous laps had been ace though! 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m too exhausted to properly comment but it was quite some challenge!

karlwoof
    Free Member

Had a great race until I came off on my 3rd lap. I’m the reason the course got diverted about 7:30 pm, sorry guys!

Cheers to the 3 riders who stopped with me and helped carry me to the ambulance.
    Quite happy to have walked out of the hospital at 3am having arrived on a spinal board and in a world of pain.

onewheelgood

@karlwoof Glad to hear you’re OK.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Karlwoof

Glad to hear your OK never fun to see someone going into an ambulance

grtdkad

Great event once again. A challenge as ever.

New bits worked really well.

Thanks to Pat and the team and all of those marshals who endured just as much I reckon!

TheSanityAssassin

That felt harder than the first wet year at Gatcombe. Mainly because with a lot of effort and concentration it was all rideable, whereas the previous time walking the climbs was the default option for most.
    Much as I enjoyed the new steep, off-camber, rooty descent, I’m really not convinced it was a sensible bit of route planning. I never saw another single rider actually ride it at any point, which meant it was always full of walkers whenever I got there. And I dread to think of the potential carnage if we’d had a rainy weekend. I’m all for a bit of a challenge, but I think this section was way too much for the vast majority in an event of this type.
    Overall though, another excellent event in very testing conditions with a great atmosphere.

superstu
    Free Member

First year and in a team of ten. Great laugh, decent course, most people were friendly. We had someone out at all times but in a non competitive / friendly way, fair respect to anyone who wants to punish themselves, nothing but admiration.

Much as I enjoyed the new steep, off-camber, rooty descent, I’m really not convinced it was a sensible bit of route planning. I never saw another single rider actually ride it at any point, which meant it was always full of walkers whenever I got there.

Which descent was this? Full of walkers up the hills but only saw a few walkers down anything?

I got overtaking spinning up a hill by someone walking up which is perhaps tells me more than anything how unfit I am!

teamslug
    Free Member

Great event. Hardest thing I’ve ever done. New additions to the course worked well but that bloody mud. Sticky and slippy. Spoke briefly the beaker and a couple of other guys. Nice to put a face to a name. Great event and thanks to all who supported with cowbells horns and sarcasm( that means you Retrobike ). 16 laps and 18 th position which I’m well happy with.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Result are up can only see upto 50th in the solos not sure if it’s just as I’m on a tablet?

piesoup
    Free Member

Scroll further down, all the .csv files are there with all the data

chum3
    Free Member

Sat at home now, with the rain falling, feeling thankful that the event was dry! Some of that mud was unreal in places, although conditions did change constantly…

Another vote of approval for the additions to the course. Made it much more engaging I think, although I was a slightly disappointed that having extended the climb to the full Kenda Koffin Decesnt, they still kept the following grassy zig-zag climb and decent. There’s plenty of climbing already and the course could go straight across to the final climb…

Everything I saw was well organised, and all the kids running around were having amazing fun. The support from the spectators and trackside camping was great – a real help (apart from the BBQ’s which just made me hungry!)

gee
    Free Member

Chum – I think there are limitations to where we can send riders across fields – existing tracks/sheep tracks etc. Don’t think they wanted a new brown stripe right across the middle of that field. Anyway the zigzag is nice for seeing all the people behind you!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m still on site now, was too knackered after riding solo to drive back. I did 18 laps and came in 9th overall which I’m well happy with.

The additions to the course were ace, rode all the descents and only walked the tough climbs when I was too knackered to do anything else.

Good to hear the broken rider is OK.

Best buy an entry for next year when they go on sale today.

tweedviper
    Free Member

A Fantastic event, I loved the new bits they kept me smiling the rest of the lap, I did come across a lot of people struggling with the steep descent (glad you are ok karlwoof ) maybe there could be a longer easier option for those that didn’t fancy it?

The track side support for us in the Hawaiian shirts was Fantastic and the commentary box also had lots of encouraging words.

Great event and already looking forward to next year

mikertroid
    Free Member

Much as I enjoyed the new steep, off-camber, rooty descent, I’m really not convinced it was a sensible bit of route planning. I never saw another single rider actually ride it at any point, which meant it was always full of walkers whenever I got there.

I managed to ride down 16 times, the only time I didn’t was when it was diverted, and I’m no Ben Moore! Not saying it was easy, though!

Glad your okay Karlwoof

cakefest
    Free Member

I finished a lap at about 9pm and a rider had gone down on the back straight, he was lying there pale, still, in a very awkward position. Two riders were with him (maybe one of them got an award at the prize giving) and there were bikes everywhere on the ground. I stopped and shifted some bikes and there was a medic on the way. What happened to that rider?

It was a great weekend with loads of stuff for the kids to do especially just messing about in the woods.

snownrock

14th for me at first solo attempt so chuffed with that. Day of work to recover now. First time at gatcombe, enjoyed the atmosphere greatly.

tang
    Free Member

The rain came at 5 last night on site and has been hammering since! Luckily got the course in and cleared. Expect more new sections next year hopefully!

karlwoof
    Free Member

Tang – the new sections were ace, curiously I did enjoy the section I binned it on until the 3rd lap at least.

Reminded how ace bikers are after all the well wishes I received on course and on here, you’re all ace!

tang
    Free Member

The Princess is incredibly accomadating and year on year gives permission for some new bits, she gets out with us and looks about as she knows every part of the woods. Got some plans for next year, all being well.

mint5auce
    Free Member

The loop was excellent. Not sure about the comment about re: steep rooty descent and walkers. That was possibly the best bit!!!! 🙂

All the descents were 100% ridable at race speed on a rigid and skinny tyres! Ups all ridable too. I did get off on a couple of the climbs consistently, as fast walking / trotting had me overtaking riders spinning little gears! 😀

richP

Another brilliant Mayhem weekend.

Having always previously raced Mayhem as a team I decided this year to give riding solo a go. I think as much to test myself to see if I could actually keep riding for 24hrs, rather than anything else.

With the heavy rainfall of the previous week we were actually quite fortunately to have a dry weekend. This meant that over the weekend the course was slowly drying out and the track conditions changed significantly with each lap, with different lines changing between super slippy, sticky, velcro like grippy as the 24hrs progressed. At least riding solo you get to see the slow evolution of the track and where the best lines are, rather than having the fun surprise you can get when racing as a team to find the course is riding completely differently to just a couple of hours previous!

I thought the course updates were really good, although given the number of people I saw walking down the new steep downhill section, a longer B line option would probably be a good idea. The alterations did make the course a bit more engaging which along with the challenging riding conditions did help reduce tediousness when doing the same lap over and over again.

Low points were struggling with cramp spasms every now and again at about 4 hours in – with 20hrs remaining to go! Fortunately I managed to work through that during the next 3-4 hours by easing off whenever any twinges appeared. Also the pre-dawn lap was hard work, I seriously though I might fall asleep during that one!

The best parts were the dawn laps, it was amazing (and quite a relief) how just the first glimpses of daylight at around 4am were enough to completely lift that sleepy feeling

In the end I managed 27 laps to come in second, only two laps down on Steve Day who put in another amazing ride to take the win again. To be honest I was quite surprised it took him so long to get his first lap on me 🙂 . It was also nice to be on the podium again after being on there as part of the Boompod team for the last couple of years. It is also a nice touch that Princess Anne comes along to do the presentations; it does make it fell a bit more special!

The worse bit was getting knocked off my bike on the main arena back straight before my last lap. An overtaking rider clipped my bars as he sprinted past. Given that the track is 10 meters wide at that point that takes some doing! I guess he was more focused on looking for his team mate in transition…? Anyway we both went down quite hard and more annoyingly it put a scratch on my new bike!! At least the (hopefully just) bruised ribs are taking my mind off the general stiff and sore parts of the rest of my body today!

My kids also really enjoyed the other activities that have come with the Go Outdoors sponsorship, particularly the climbing wall and slackline. I guess the only improvement would be if some of these things could had remained for the Sunday morning?

rich

https://www.facebook.com/PivotBoompodsRacing Pivot Boompods Racing

coomber
    Free Member

I saw, from the handover part/finsih line, a rider go down hard presumably over the guards which went over the electric cables. Seemed to be some concern for him, anyone know any more about that?

My only grumble was the number of portaloos seemed to have shrunk from my last visit in 2014. Sure there were about three times as many in the main block by the showers?

letmetalktomark

A great weekend and another great course.

No podium worrying riding from me though.

I rode my fat bike last year but wanted something lighter and less draggy this year.

By the end of my first lap I was wishing for my Nate out back rather than the Thunderburt and my Bud out front instead of the Ralph!

I found it much harder than last year despite being on a much, much lighter bike.

Roll on next year and the progression along the learning curve!

mikertroid
    Free Member

A thankfully uneventful race for me; no offs, no cramp(!) and slowly plodded around until 6am when on lap 14 I started mistaking trees for people and couldn’t properly focus down the descents any more. That plus the dew on mud made me think a sleep was in order….

Came back out at 9am and put another 3 laps in – heading out for my last lap at 1140 wasn’t a nice moment!

17 laps, 17th place, no injuries, no mechanicals. Sore knees and back and slightly disappointed I had to have a sleep but given the state I was in it was the right thing to do.

Re: portaloos

I got back from the trophy ceremony (no services solo prizes this year… 🙁 ) to find all but 2 portaloos padlocked! 😯 Thankfully I managed to get one but 2 years ago this nearly forced me to take an emergency dump in the woods!! After a couple of hours post-race your body gets going again, if you know what I mean…?! I do think they should be more sympathetic to the riders!

Showers weren’t much use to solo riders before the event and were properly trashed afterwards so couldn’t take advantage of them. Maybe don’t bother at all….?! 😉

baldman
    Free Member

First time solo in anything like this but really enjoyed it, managed 13 laps which I was pleased with – hats off to the ones that keep going! Had to have a sleep as started making too many mistakes and crashing so stopped before I hurt myself! Anyone know how long the lap was and how much climbing?

dazh

Bit of a weird one for me this year. The new additions made for a much more interesting course, although the sticky mud made it much harder. A puncture on lap 3 cost me 20-odd minutes when after years of reliable service my pump decided to pack in and I had to beg for help off passers by (thanks to the guys who stopped!). After about 8 hours I was going ok, had ridden all the climbs, and legs still felt ok, but had become completely bored and unmotivated, and that combined with the lingering worry about having to drive home the next day, I decided to stop. Probably the right decision, and I don’t regret it, but it’s the first time I’ve ever bailed out of a bike race because I couldn’t be arsed with it, which is a bit of a concern. On the plus side I managed to get home without killing myself 🙂

Clover

That was a great course and I loved the new bit – didn’t see anyone walking it but then it was all a bit more spread out by the time I got my first lap in (last in a team of 4). Glad the broken rider was ok!

Couldn’t believe the properties of that mud, it kept changing but seemed to be sapping in every form! Just as some bits started to roll really well the flat went to draggy plasticine and the looser mud ridge in between smooth ruts was a bit ‘fun’ if you were going for high speed overtakes. Then the mud on the climbs caused wheelspin and walking…

Having said that, it was worse on Friday and we spent the evening frantically trying to muster all the tread we could find which basically meant redistributing rubber so everyone on the team had a decent(ish) front but entertaining back wheel slither.

Our win was a bit hollow because no other women’s teams entered (unlike last year) but due to work ethic/idiocy we cracked on for as many laps as we could with a side race of friendly ‘who could put the fastest lap in’ competition and got up to 24.

superstu
    Free Member

My first Mayhem but was surprised how low numbers were. Not sure if that’s normal but didnt seem like the massive event I thought it was.

That’s not necessarily a criticism i just expected there to be more people partaking.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Steve_b77 – you did 19 laps, not 18.

That’s a big difference !

I should know as I ‘only’ did 18 laps !

Weird conditions – all I can remember is cursing the mud, yet I kept the same shorts/socks on throughout, and they weren’t all that muddy afterwards.

Glad I had my phone with me during the event, to capture some nice moments:

teamslug
    Free Member

Anybody got any links for pics?.

teamslug
    Free Member

Disc Jockey….thats me in the pic ( not the cow!!)!!!. I remember you taking it. I tried to look good!!!. Would be great to get a copy. Cheers

coomber
    Free Member

^^^ great pic. That fog was brilliant fun riding in.

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I really enjoyed the new, something different.
    If anyone got soaked by my kids with water pistols on the last climb into camp without consent my apologies :)some needed it.
    A couple of pics at 4:30am from my camp.
    Fantastic views.
    Well done to all.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/HpVbHz]Untitled[/url] by MARK TILLEY, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JhT7Nw]Untitled[/url] by MARK TILLEY, on Flickr

mikertroid
    Free Member

q100,

I was very grateful for the water pistol soaking at the top of that climb!! So thank them from me!

That fog was cool; a couple of times I had to dim my head-light as it was pretty thick heading into the first wood!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Just emailed you those photos teamslug. As I said in the email, they’re the only photos I took, so it’s awesome that you’ve been able to find them. I remember chatting to you – nice moment, amongst all the suffering.

mikertroid – I was 16th. Sounds like we had a very similar event. I’d lost the will to carry on by midnight and got a couple of hours sleep, and then seemed better, gradually improving again before the end.

The kids with water pistols were great – very polite about it too (they obviously have nice parents !)

mikertroid
    Free Member

DJ well done! Was hoping to keep plodding but I’m sure it’d have been a different ending….

steve_b77
    Free Member

DiscJockey – Member
    Steve_b77 – you did 19 laps, not 18.

That’s a big difference !

I should know as I ‘only’ did 18 laps !

That’ll be me loosing count then, and explains the 213km I’ve ridden, being told in no uncertain terms at 7am to go out and do more laps by my mates wife / pit boss kept me going, and then her not allowing me to stop for linger than 2-3 mins at each stop during those laps too.

quintet100 – Member
    Hi
    I really enjoyed the new, something different.
    If anyone got soaked by my kids with water pistols on the last climb into camp without consent my apologies :)some needed it.

When 3 of them got me it was most appreciated :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem 2016 roll call’ is closed to new replies.