• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountain Marathon Style Rucksacs
  • Rik
    Free Member

After a 30litre ish Ultralight bag for bike bivi'ing. Seen the OMM and Inov8 bags as well as others from Terra Nova and Karrimor etc.

Anybody know of anywhere selling them cheap as £60+ seems a bit expensive.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I use a Macpac ultra marathon, light, basic, but well made. Inov8 looks good, golite carry well, but to tell the truth £60+ish is fair game. Salomon raids might be cheaper and se popular with the "adventure" crowd.

matt_outandabout
    scratch
    Free Member

I've only ever used Go-lite sacks, not had any problems in 3/4 years.
    It'd be improved by having a few small pockets on the hip belt, I'm forever digging around in the bottom of it for spare change.

Rikoshea
    Free Member

I use a Berghaus 64 Zero, got it for the Polaris in 07 and used it commuting since, light(640g) but hard wearing, still like new, only 35-40 quid, loads of external pockets to stuff in waterproofs etc so you don't have to open the main compartment.

rockhopperbike

tt_outandabout – Member
    Decathlon – mine are great, cheap as chips and well made.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/diosaz-27-raid-67869411/

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/diosaz-30-raid-team-67876658/

second for the decathalon

well made, light and cheap

slugwash
    Free Member

Hi, I've seen your other posts and….

I've got the OMM 32l,and the Gourdon 30 & 20.

Gourdon 30 is best for short bivvy excursions IMO 'cos it's robust, waterproof, spacious and has no excess of straps, mesh, & shockcord to catch on rocks and branches etc.

I bought the 32l OMM for a bivvy tour of the Tour Mont Blanc as I needed easier quick access to food, my camera and other equipment. I was also worried that the Gourdon's straps would be too harsh on my shoulders for a few days touring.

The OMM is better for carrying varying sizes of load, as you can compress it to fit the load. The gourdon tends to feel better the fuller it is. However, the OMM is made of more fragile fabric to give it such a low weight.

I use the Gourdon 30 for one night bivvys up on the moor, the OMM for longer excursions and the smaller gourdon for the ride to work 'cos it's too small to carry enough bivvy equipment.

Anyway, to summarise my erratic post, I'd get the Gourdon 30L if I was starting over again as it's cheap and ticks all the boxes (except the easy access to contents box!).

flatfish
    Free Member

Osprey talon 22 or 33.

Absolutly fab bags about 60 quid for the 33 , not sure about price for the 22.
    A lot of bikepackers seem to use the 22 with some packing going on around the bike to take most of the weight off your shoulders.
    Got the 33 but the 22 will be my next bag purchase.

Rik
    Free Member

Will have a look at Decathalon on the way back from the Peak today. Going to have a butchers in Outside too see what if anything the pricier models offer.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've used an OMM 32L for several years now – fantastic rucksack and nothing like as fragile as the light weight would suggest. Can't recall what I paid for mine but £54 seems to be the going price at the moment.

Rik
    Free Member

Just tried on a Osprey Talon 22 in Outside. Seems ideal and looks bigger than the 22 suggests (esp next to a Invo8 22) as quite wide at the base.

So comfy with a proper back system and different back sizes too. Only a little bit heavier – but £60. Need to try and find on cheaper!!!

Think it might be the one.

HTTP404
    Free Member

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk have a good selection.
    free delivery. have you looked?

13thfloormonk

I think these might be out of your budget (and hard to find at the moment) but my last trip convinced me of just how good wingnut bags are (see here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/blair-atholl-to-ft-william-via-aviemore-with-idiot-glen-tilt-night-ride-content)

I used the the M.P.S. which held all my camping gear, clothes and food in one rucsac (i lie, my sleeping bag was strapped under my handlebars) With the addition of an extra chest strap it was totally stable and comfortable, even when i was getting carried away on the big fast descents i was riding. The bonus is that it sits very low so doesn't clatter your helmet on steep stuff. It also has a lot of capacity in the hip pockets so everything you need is handy and easily accessed.

Obviously you'd be looking for a smaller capacity one, might be worth seeing what you can find on Ebay etc.

Rik
    Free Member

Well nowhere cheaper than outside for the Osprey Talon 22. might be spending £60 tomorrow then!

Still a lot more than the Alpkit Gourdon which was the other consideration!

Rik
    Free Member

just bought and took back an Osprey Talon 22 within a 2 hours!
    Great back system and lovely bag but too small for my bivi kit.only by about 2 litres as well all the bivi kit fitted but no room for the biking gear. D'oh!

Could have gone for the 33, but loads bigger and £75 (the 22 was bad enough at £60). Makes the Omm bags look cheaper and a lot lighter too.

Decisions, decisions ……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Marathon Style Rucksacs’ is closed to new replies.