Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mountain marathon sacks
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Any reason to look beyond an OMM Classic 25?

ton

not a lot of padding on the omm sacks.
    osprey 25 is nicer and comfier.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It’s for an actual MM, Ton, so it needs to be as lightweight as possible. Lack of padding not an issue but easy access to food and drink on the move is important.

ianfitz
    Free Member

It’s pretty much ideal, albeit at the larger end of what you should be planning to carry in a MM. The omm front pouches are great too and fit on most of their sacks.
    But you could look at the terra nova sacks too. The laser elite 20 is much lighter at 210g. I like both!

footflaps

Depends how ‘Elite’ you are – you need to have very lightweight kit to use the smaller OMM packs. If you use more average ‘lightweight’ camping kit, you’d be wanting 25-30l sack, all depends on your kit, and how warm you want you’ll be on the over night stop (I’ve camped in snow on KIMMs past and was very glad for my 30l sack and extra warm stuff in it).

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers Ian.

I’ve doen a few MMs in the past using a 30l sack which is definitely too big because you either fill it to capacity or its contents are bouncing around on your back.

20l looks a wee bit on the small side so 25 should be about right. I’ve got a 25l Alpkit sack but it doesn’t have hipbelt pockets for jelly babies!

(I’m not going to be entering Elite class…)

ajf
    Free Member

OMM 25 is a great bag with loads of space should you need it. Used it on plenty of mountain marathons. The OMM sacks are my favorite rucksacks for general use as they are bombproof and have a 20 and 25 ltr one.

Got to admit though that my Inov8 elite 20l is my favorite for mountain maratons

Here are my thoughts on the inov8 http://middlepack.co.uk/2009/03/review-of-inov8-race-elite-20l/

Oh and whilst I am at it. Here is my kit list for the OMM when I entered the elite. http://middlepack.co.uk/2008/10/kit-for-the-omm-2008/

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks ajf.

Good blog posts, especially:

Ainsley Harriott Packet mixes has proven to me he isn’t just a useless ****.

😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mountain marathon sacks’ is closed to new replies.