Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • mountain kings rubbish or just the compound I have?
  • dogmatix

Got some 2.4 MKs in the standard compound and they slip at the mere hint of a root… are the black chilli ones any good or are they just best left well alone?

FuzzyWuzzy

Black chilli ones are better, I still don't particularly like them though…

dogmatix

Can I ask what you don't like about them? Do you find as i have they slip like crazy on roots? Cos for some reason i think they look like they should be great.. but just dont really seem to do it…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nah they're just pants, fast as **** but pants

mickasaki
    Free Member

There was a thread about these in the last month or two. They got a right slateing if i remember right! I am probably going to order myself some anyway as they are dirt cheap at the moment, and my usual riding doesn't encounter many roots or shiney rocks! Thats about the only good thing going for thetford i suppose!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Great when it's bone dry. Slightest bit of damp and they'e all over the place. IME.

Trying WTB Exiwolf's next year when it's cupboard time for the Storm Controls.

dogmatix

don't go near a wet road with the normal compound ones… i know mountain bike tyres aren't great on roads… but these things are lethal on anything hard and wet… touched my brake and i was down scarily quickly…

dogmatix

think mine are going in the bin and get the high rollers back on… bit heavy… but the grip well in comparison… maybe try something new after I've worn them through…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Continental Mountain Kings

There is the problem.

[/thread]

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Black Chilli compound is deffinately better on wet roots and rocks, but with any tyre it depends on the geology where you ride with them. I ride BC Mountain Kings all year round on the North York Moors (not in the forests), but they are no good at this time of year on the claggy clay of the Howardian Hills. As the saying goes 'Different horses for different courses'. 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a 2.2 set I am very impressed with – great grip wet/ dry / mud / rock / roots.

Just a thought – what pressures are you running them at? They state a high pressure on them and they seem to work at the higher ressure. I wonder if at lower pressure the knobs are folding up thus closing the tread up?

Mine are at 40 psi

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got MK protections – they are not bad but previously had Panracer Fire XC pro's which wern't the greatest. The black chillic is good but wears fast. I find them a good fast grippy tyre with good rolling resistance but have a habit of washing out suddeenly when riding gnarly to the max (currently with a grazed arm and bashed hip 😉 ) They are OK but I will go for some MAXXIS Minions next for better predicability and durability 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

They're a good all round tyre for my local riding in the BC compound, and they're fine on wet roots and rocks too IME.

Bit rubbish in loose rocky conditions still.

mickasaki
    Free Member

dogmatix – If your going to throw them, do it my way! I'm going to order some anyway, so i'd happily send you some money!

yetiguy
    Free Member

noo they wear down to quickly

Shackleton

I run Black Chilli ProTections tubeless and didn't like them with tubes. Not sure I'd want to try non-black chilli though.

They work well as an all-round tyre for soft conditions but can be a bit squirmy on very hard terrain. There are better condition specific tyres out there but I like MKs as they seem to work well and predictably on most surfaces around Newcastle way (moors, grass, loose gravel, thin mud).

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Am using the UST version with no black chilli and i think they work well as an allrounder.Have them at 35/30 PSI most of the time .Tried them at 30/25 PSI in the Peaks and they offered great grip! Using a Rubber Queen on the front at the moment as split the other King! Still using the Mountain King on the back but looking a little thin on tread now!
    Thanx Max

Northwind

I had MK Supersonics- so black chili- and they were still poor. Grip like a slick, roll like a knobbly, someone got the project description the wrong way round I reckon. The wire bead OEM-spec ones are absolutely diabolical, like no-names from the 90s.

Willie-hangon
    Free Member

Last time I was on here Jeremy said he liked old Bmw bikes, he obviously likes tandems and now highly rates Mountain kings. Nothing personal Jeremy but from now on if you say left im heading off Right 😀

takisawa2

I got some Nobby Nic's based on rave reviews & found them a dissapointment. The Nev / Blue Groove I replaced them with are in a different league.
    I've a colleague who raves about MK's also.

rustielookinchain
    Free Member

I think the UST version is the same compound as the standard ones? I used my 2.2's on the trans wales and got on very well with them, sort of a jack of all trades. They did wear quicker than i expected, but it was big mileage 😀 I've changed to 2.35 high rollers for the peaks, but i'll still use MK's for enduro's and trailquests and the like

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I Demoed a bike earlier in the year. Wet conditions as usual,worst tyres that I've used,including no-name shite on my first mountain bike.

liquid1000
    Free Member

I had a pair on my hustler and had a number of terrifying front end suddenly sliding out moments at speed. It took me a while to work out it was the tyre. Have replaced with a sticky maxxis tyre much more confidence inspriring. Have left mtn king on the back and feels fine.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What Young Dave Riley said – exactly

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘mountain kings rubbish or just the compound I have?’ is closed to new replies.