Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mountain King II UST width, clearance issue?
  • pondy
    Free Member

thinking of getting these for my commute to work, a mix between on and off road, have the cheaper wire bead version of thbese and they seem ok but want a stronger sidewall for tubeless as the wire beads seem very porous.

I have 2.2 at the moment but they seem very skinny and prefer the look of the larger width. the 2.2 come in at 52 so slightly under what they are meant to be, does anyone know if the 2.4 come in smaller aswell?

my main worry is tyre clearance between tyre and chain stays. with a 2.2 I have around 10mm each side, I fitted a 2.4 racing ralph for reference and it leaves around 6mm each side, is that an issue or am I just being silly about it? my wheel is true but both tyres seem to have wobble so the clearance changes (larger slightly) as the wheel rotates, sure my dish is off by a few mm which I don’t help but cant see it being a huge issue? should I take it to lbs to get it sorted?

BearBack
    Free Member

The mk2 rolls well for a large volume tire.
    Look for the new generation rtr protection casing as this mounts tubeless just fine and has enough sidewall strength to not need to go UST.
    On a 26mm rim (19mm inside) the 2.4 rtr protection measured 2 5/16. On that same rim, a 2.4 non rtr protection with tube is 2 1/4
    A 2.2 on a DT Swiss 4.2d rim (23.5 outer width) mounts at 2″

chiefgrooveguru

I was going to say 58mm based on my RQ (2.2 ~ MK 2.4) and XK (~MK) experience but you have it from the bear’s mouth in easily decipherable units! 😉

Apparently the MK rolls only a little faster than the RQ whilst I know the XK is much quicker (but best on the rear if you like corners).

pondy
    Free Member

Its going on a flow which is 25.5mm inner. Hopfully the 2.4 should come up small like the 2.2.
    Is rtr black chilli? Are these a softer compound? As I ride on road aswell I can justify loosing some grip for harder wear so I dont need to replace as often

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King II UST width, clearance issue?’ is closed to new replies.