Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mountain King II Tyre – ProTection 2.4 – any good?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

as a fastish front tyre to accompany a 2.2 ralph on my xc orientated Yeti ASCR. I’m currently running 2 ralphs, but the grip on the front is nonexistent.

Looking for something lightish and I beleive the 2.4 version comes in at around 750 gms and sizes up small, more in line with a 2.2

Happy with any other suggestions.

mccraque

Yes – they are pretty decent for an XC Tread although i’ve had a few issues with conti when run tubeless. Either they continue to leak through the sidewalls and dry out the sealant – or, the tyre has deformed (so a big egg on the sidewall).

I’ve had a lot more success with the Schwalbe. The new Nobby Nic is a great tyre. 2.35 is not a bad width.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I don’t like the 2.4 for general riding where you can meet a wide range of surfaces. The side knobs are too far down the side, and the centre knobs aren’t big enough and are too widely spaced on hard surfaces.

It is pretty decent in soft conditions though if you have a lot of those.

It does size up a little smaller than advertised, but certainly not 2.2. Maybe 1mm narrower than the 2.35 Hans Dampf that replaced it.

BearBack
    Free Member

2.4mk2 is a nice high volume tire. Not far off the Trail king size wise but much faster with smaller knobs (less resistance but less grip/braking too)
    I run it as an XC race tyre and everyday trail tire in Squamish/Whistler with 32, 34 or 36 fork set-up.
    I basically fit a new one up front when building a new bike and it stays on until I sell the bike on.
    Out back I juggle between X-King 2.4 and MK2 2.4
    Its MUCH bigger than a 2.2 RR

joebristol

I had these front and back on my last bike in the black chilli compound.

They were much better than the 2.25 Nobby Nics I had on there before – although I think they were the cheap / hard performance compound NNs.

I ran the MK2’s with tubes and only ever got one flat right at the end of the day at BPW uplifting. Was a slow puncture though as only found it was flat when I got home. Ran them at about 30 psi generally.

They aren’t small tyres in the 2.4″ version – comfortably bigger than the NNs they replaced although they fit fine through RS revelation forks and the rear end of a Boardman Pro fs with mud room to spare. They were on Mavic 19mm internal sized rims though so had a very rounded profile.

I liked the conti more as a front tyre than the Maxxis I have now, as although there was probably less overall grip (hard to be objective as I haven’t had them on the same bike), when it gave up the grip it was a lot more predictable.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

I found the 2.4 Pro was an excellent, reasonably quick xc tyre (much better than it’s little brother) with only 2 drawbacks. First, the sidewalls were always a bu**er to seal tubeless and second, the grip dropped off long before the tread looked worn which hurt . . . a lot. So have patience if you run tubeless and change them the moment you suspect the grip is less than you would like.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thinking of running one of these (29 protection 2.4 version) on the rear for general wet, mud, slippy roots over the 6 months of winter here in Scotland and pairing with a der Baron project 29 on front. Anyone run that combo?

daern
    Free Member

Have run the 2.2 version for years on various bikes and they are excellent if a little heavy rolling on hard stuff compared to the Ikons I’m running at the moment.

Weirdly, the black chilli compound they use makes for the most effective snow-shedding tyre I’ve ever used. I remember one ride where my companion was having to stop every 100yds to clear out his frame and yet my tyres and frame were completely clear of stuck snow. So if you like riding in snow, highly recommended 🙂

johnhe

I ran the 2.4 in black chilli compound and it’s one of the best all rounder tyres ive ever had. I don’t like the non-chilli versions though. I stopped using it because I went tubeless and the Contis appear to be useless with Stans. Couldn’t get them to seal or hold fluid.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Just as a quick tip, if anyone really likes the MKII, then maybe stock up, as Conti were showing a new MK design at Eurobike.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Oh I was planning to run them tubeless with Stans… Though the new Contis were easy to run tubeless.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I run mine tubeless. Need a bit of a shake initially but after that they are fine. My Maxxis on another bike weep more.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve found the Protection carcass can take a day or so of turn and shake to get fully sealed (with the conti sealant), but once sealed its been flawless.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think a lot of the complaints here are out of date. I had a batch of 3 late period Rubber Queens (now the Trail King) that all went out of shape but that was some years ago and I’ve been running Conti’s for the same type of riding ever since without that issue.

Likewise, going up tubeless. Conti used to do UST tubeless and a non-tubeless tyre then switched to ‘Tubeless Ready”. All the recent Black Chilli, Apex, Protection tyres I’ve had have gone up easily and held air long term after a first ride and no weeping across 5 tyres we’ve currently got fitted.

I love the idea of a 2.4 tyre now being an XC race tyre! As above – the treads a bit more open than the Trail King and as you’d expect clears a bit better but grips a bit less. I’s say it sizes up about accurate

tallmart10

Agree with simons. I have found the MKII 2.2’s to be fab all-rounders. As a serial non-tinkerer where tyres are concerned, I use them all year round on the front with an x-king on the rear. This combo was noticably faster than MKIIs front and rear. I have only tried the black-chilli Protection ones – the main issue we have around here are thorns and since putting these bad boys on I haven’t had a single puncture. Am a bit Maxxis-curious though since so many people seem to rate them ..

Yak

I’ve had a lot more success with the Schwalbe. The new Nobby Nic is a great tyre. 2.35 is not a bad width

Good width and volume, but it’s a right porker. 850g ish for a 29×2.35 !

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I use them all year round on the front with an x-king on the rear. This combo was noticably faster than MKIIs front and rear…….Am a bit Maxxis-curious though since so many people seem to rate them ..

Personally I prefer the Trail King as my all year round tyre. Run front and back, move front to rear when it gets a bit worn, run it through summer with progressively less tread then replace when refresh when need more grip in winter.

Every few years I try Maxxis – High Roller, DHF/R, Ardent over the years – but have never liked them. Vert Pros/RQ/TK has always worked for me.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Just as a quick tip, if anyone really likes the MKII, then maybe stock up, as Conti were showing a new MK design at Eurobike.

Some new pics are surfacing:

Looks like they put the side knobs in a more sensible spot than half way down sidewall this time. And slightly more surface area on centre tread to make it grip better on hard surfaces.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Wonder if the new versions will be available in 26″..?

tallmart10

Hope so 🙁

fifeandy
    Free Member

Wonder if the new versions will be available in 26″..?

You’d hope so, up and coming XC racers in the under 12’s category deserve decent tyres too

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve had a lot more success with the Schwalbe. The new Nobby Nic is a great tyre.

I found it to be utterly hopeless – it skates across the trail surface if it’s anything other than bone dry.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve had at least two pairs of Race King Protections and they’ve all done the same thing after a while (maybe 6+ months). The sidewall goes light-colored and (maybe not related?) they stop holding air. Shame, because they ride great while they last.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve gone and ordered a mountain King and Der baron 29 combo now so I’ll report back on how they are.

BearBack
    Free Member

the new mountain king is a 2.3.. the ‘old’ tread profile will still be available as a 2.2/2.4 in the performance line
    2018 mtb here
    conti 2018 mtb

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King II Tyre – ProTection 2.4 – any good?’ is closed to new replies.