Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mountain King II (2.2 protection) – thoughts?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking for some new tyres for the summer and wanted to try something with a bit more volume (than R Ralphs)and have enough grip for when it isn’t bone dry.

Have read some good comments about the new Mountain Kings(thinking 2.2 would be good for me)so wondered if anyone had any feedback about them? Quite tempted to try one out with an x-king on the rear..

Thanks

emmodd
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair of Hans Dampf from bike- discount.de for an absolute bargain 56 euros.

gp
    Free Member

Thanks – will see if they have the Mountain kings…

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Damm good tyre. I am still using the Mountain kings 2.0″ base model from 2010 and it is a damm good tyre.

Whyte1
    Free Member

i found they rolled really well but grip was only ok , what put me off was that a few of the side knobs tore off after about three rides so in the bin they went

honourablegeorge

emmodd – Member
    Just ordered a pair of Hans Dampf from bike- discount.de for an absolute bargain 56 euros.

Link? They show at 65 euro for me – or did you have a promo code?

neninja
    Free Member

Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.2 are hard to beat as all rounders. They seem very voluminous compared to other 2.2 tyres. Reasonably light too.

Grip well on most surfaces until it gets really muddy and then they’re not the best.

Vortexracing

I have just tried them and I wasn’t really impressed, they come up very small ie 2″ max. On rocky stuff like the lakes they seem OK but on muddy trails they seems to clog up easily.

TBH I think I would prefer Nobby Nics or a Nobby Nic Racing Ralph Combo, seem to have the same grip but a bit more volume.

gp
    Free Member

have heard about the knobs coming off (on the x-kings too), so that’s not encouraging at all. I’ve had nobby nics – found them OK but not great in the corners (my riding mostly am sure). RR I liked but they tear easily (it is flinty down here).

The search contunies…

penguinni

I was using a MK 2 Protection on the rear ( XR4 on front) until recently.

I found they rolled really well and had great grip in the dry. But the rear had a habit of sliding on loose surfaces and I was disappointed at the lack of grip on wet stone and light mud. It would often just spin out and lose traction, especially during climbs which was a real pain.

Ive reverted back to Ignitors LUS T and I would recommend them as a great all-rounder.

gp
    Free Member

penguinni – are the ignitors as large (volume wise)as Ardents do you know? Tried one of those and found it massive (2.25 i think).

I guess this is the neverending search really, something fast rolling, light-ish, tough-ish and not completely crap when it gets a bit wet.

Whyte1
    Free Member

I’m finding the WTB Wolverine very good , they roll very fast and seem to have a lot more grip than comparable fast tyres plus the TCS 2’2 are light and tubeless ready

penguinni

gp – I dont know. Im using 2.1 which arent nearlly as volumous as the MK but there is a 2.35 version available.

I think I have found my ideal tyre with the Ignitors. I ride non aggressive XC ( ie mince) with visits to Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie etc, and my local woods are a mixture of mud, rocky bits and nice dry trails depending on the day of the week, which the Ignitors cope with very well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King II (2.2 protection) – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.