Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mountain biking trousers
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

Now that it’s got too cold to wear shorts all the time can anyone recommend any mountain bike trousers for £30-£40 ?

I’ve looked at chain reaction and they are awfully expensive

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Tenn do some waterproof ones, was looking this morning. Can’t give a review though

jekkyl

I don’t get on with bib shorts or trousers at all so I have some of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronhill-Mens-Bikester-Evolution/dp/B0068XN6IQ
    £22, not waterproof though but quick drying if it they get wet.

Then on very cold nights some thermals underneath them too.

momo

I prefer to wear bib longs under my regular shorts.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I also wear bib longs (cheapish DHB jobbies) under normal shorts or Endura Zyme 3/4 with leg warmers / long socks.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’d prefer some proper trousers instead of tights, bib longs etc as I need to also wear them while driving, catching trains, etc not just while riding, as my riding is not usually “from the doorstep”!

What I find strange is I saw some Motorcross trousers for £30 on chain reaction yet there was nothing for mountain biking below £50!

ocrider

It’s always cheaper getting them out of season! I’ve got a pair of the Polaris pants, which were £35 in a clearance sale.
    If you’re not comfortable wearing shorts over bib longs on public transport (although I can’t see why), reach for your inner chav and wear some lightweight trackie bottoms that you can stuff into a backpack for the ride?

kirkg
    Free Member

If you’re able to stretch your budget I cant recommend keela roadrunners highly enough. Mines have been worn to death on and off the bike for a year with no signs of wear as of yet.

tom.nash

^ +1 for Keela

TimothyD
    Free Member

I wear Craghoppers walking trousers with Ronhills etc underneath if it’s colder, and faff about with a toe clip strap to stop the right hem catching in my chain ring.

It means that I have gear which I get a lot of use out of from wearing them for walking and volunteering etc too which I like.

timidwheeler

Stretchy Craghoppers.

LAT

Some soft shell trousers with a gusseted crotch would fit the bill. I saw some in Decathlon recently that were a reasonable price. Bibs underneath will help keep you kidneys warm as the trousers may not me cut high enough at the back. Saying that, bouldering type trousers usually have a high waste, I’ve noticed.

Basil

I wear merino 3/4 long johns under bagies -Icebreaker

colournoise

Shorts and MTFU.

Suppose it depends how cold a place you ride in. My winter legs are whatever tights Aldi have in their cycling or building stuff with normal MTB shorts over the top.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve never ever had cold legs……

giantriderjay
    Free Member

Bought some Tenns on offer last year, tucked em into my ancient sealskinz socks and those winter night rides are quite pleasant! Not too fashionable though if that matters.

cozz
    Free Member

Just wear my Rohan bags. Or winter bags if I’m out
    In the snow

brant
    Free Member
    lee170
    Free Member

I’ve got some endura singletrack trousers and there great, had them a few years now, but as soon as winter comes there straight out.
    Worth a look

bigblackshed

colournoise – Member 
    Shorts and MTFU

This.

It’s not even cold. Shorts until it’s zero. Then you can put some knee warmers on if you’re feel delicate. Just pedal harder.

🙄

Clink

In fairness people feel the cold to different degrees. ‘MTFU’ is not always the best approach 😯

colournoise

Clink – Member
    In fairness people feel the cold to different degrees. ‘MTFU’ is not always the best approach

It was said with tongue in cheek. As a Reynaud’s sufferer I’m acutely aware of the effects of cold weather. Just that my legs stay pretty warm.

edhornby

Trousers are going to flap against the chain so better to wear tights under baggies. Easier to wash also

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

keep your core, and feet and hands warm and you don’t need trousers,
    Goretex boots and bib shorts, mt500 waterproof shorts if it’s raining to avoid those cold mud splashes up your back and it’s all good..

Endurance make zyme, hummvee and singletrack trousers which look pretty decent

Simon

I’ve got some Fox Shuttle trousers that are great for cold dry days or slightly wet cold rides. They’re made of stretchy soft-shell water resistant material so will cope with light rain but very soggy in a downpour.
    Fit is good and the ankles have Velcro adjusters.
    They were only £40 but unfortunately they’re now discontinued.

therag
    Free Member

I’ve got some craft trousers, great for the coldest days

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking trousers’ is closed to new replies.