Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Mountain Biking research – participants required!
  • SarahH
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I am a MSc student from London Met University. I am currently researching the health benefits of mountain biking, and comparing it to participants of conventional sports.

To do this I have an online survey, which you can access at:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GHXXVY5

I need male mountain bikers of all abilities, between the ages of 18-45.

The survey is only 10 minutes long and hopefully will give me some interesting research about how good mountain biking is for health and wellbeing!

If you have any questions contact me on sarahhuntley84@hotmail.com

Get involved!!!

tragically1969
    Free Member

You seriously need to rewrite that survey, it asks the same or similar questions about 3 times in the space of 3 pages, i gave up as i dont want to answer the same thing 3 times

If it was the intended purpose to repeat itself in similar phrased question then i have missed the point….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what about women ???

saxabar
    Free Member

Done – but if you are at an early stage of the research I would retract, re-draft and consider these early stages a pilot study.

soobalias
    Free Member

hi, welcome to the forum, nice of you to spam chat as well as bike.

tron
    Free Member

I suspected they were check questions..

IanMunro
    Free Member

I need male mountain bikers of all abilities, between the ages of 18-45.
    It's a rare occasion when that gets said by a woman on here 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

That's ageist that is & probably against my rights & things 😉

Maybe I'll just pretend to be 19?

stumpyjon

Wow, that's a negative response from you guys. The survey is supposed to be repetitive to try and get the correct answers. Alright it's not professionally written but it's a lot better than many we get asked to complete.

Kieran

Done, agree with the repetitive questions though

Junkyard
    Free Member

done and without whinging 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

between the ages of 18-45

I'm too old.

redthunder
    Free Member

Done.

Also, lots of repeats.

This survey made me so depressed…..:-( I'm of for a ride in the woods now 🙂

Thanks Sarah.

ski
    Free Member

opps, I am a gym user and mountain biker, how do I tick both boxes?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

between the ages of 18-45.

say what ?? So I'm on the scrap heap with the women ?? Perhaps that's not so bad…

by the way, altough I entered my age the survey didn't say "sod off you wrinkly hasbeen"…

soobalias
    Free Member

your survey reminded me of all the shite ive been through over the last month.

thx.

i was feeling good after the commute this morning till then. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you depressed?
    Are you really sure you're not depressed?
    Have you been thinking about depression?
    If you were depressed how would you feel?
    Getting back to your depression, are you in denial?
    You're depressed right?

🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Done

wwaswas

done.

I understand the reason for the repeat questions so not a problem.

I did find that the 'negative' and 'positive' answers on the latter half reversed between questions so that you could be at the top of one list for answers and the bottom of another for the 'same' answer.

Talkemada
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I'm too old.

Ah, you all right, Grandad? want help with your shopping?

(Mugs DezB for his pension when the poor old bugger isn't looking)

Survey done! 😀

Good luck with your research and that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If it was the intended purpose to repeat itself in similar phrased question then i have missed the point….

You've not missed the point as you just pointed it out. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I thought it was alright, I found the question early on about the type of mountain biker you are harder, I'm not really a beginner, but I'm certainly not happy on big jumps and drops and what not, nor do I even go looking for small ones!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Done. Now I'm wondering if I should be depressed or not 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(Mugs DezB for his pension when the poor old bugger isn't looking)

pension ?? Ha ha funny Talkemada :o) Hardly worth the effort…

rkk01
    Free Member

Done
    I fear a contradiction between the "riding" answers (generally very positive) and mental state / energy level responses, which I fear reflect economic uncertainty and pressure.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suspect we'll get no answers from Sarah as this was a drive-by…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hardly worth the effort…

Well I've got to pay for my Crack/Broadband/Bikes somehow. As they say in Tesco; 'Every little bit helps!' 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

To old and so much to give.

cinnamon_girl

Sexist and age-ist. There are a few middle-aged girls and boys here who do not believe that mountain biking is exclusively for the youngsters.

Will the youngsters still be riding at our age?

E-mail in profile should you want some answers from a middle-aged bird 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

Too old and so much to give.

Organs?

There are a few middle-aged girls and boys here who always get in the way of the youngsters, doddering around in a forgetful and absent-minded manner.

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

She has also posted on Facebook, Dirt, BikeRadar….

Bike Radar:

Hi all,

Thanks so much for taking part – I was hoping I might be able to find some enthusiastic mountain bikers to participate and I obviously came to the right place!

The age and gender restriction bit is just so the results can be generalised. It's the first study of it's kind (comparing the benefits of mountain biking to conventional sports, in this case gym use) so you have to use quite a narrow selection of participants in order to get some significant results. Following on from this I can then expand the study and see if the findings also apply for other age groups and for women as well.

Exciting stuff – I will email out the 'finished product' in September!

Thanks again, Sarah.

whytetrash

Completed and good luck…not a bad attempt though agree sometimes I wake up knackered cos the kids wear me out and the current economic climate causes more stress than my riding can negate!

How can you call this spam Soobalias?…It's research…ie finding out stuff, in this case about our sport…I'm in the industry so always happy to help…it's 5 minutes of your time not donating a kidney!

timmys

Regarding the age and sex limitations – it will probably be so she can compare her results to some other previous data set from someone else's work, and therefore has to do age/sex matching to whatever they used. Nothing discriminatory just eliminating variables.

EDIT; Too slow.

cinnamon_girl

Gosh, I feel "special". 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it will probably be so she can compare her results to some other previous data set from someone else's work,

but there's no need to perpetuate the discrimination – future comparisons could include all ages and sexes

Gosh, I feel "special".

you are cg, in a "needs" way 🙂

ntreid
    Free Member

This survey sounds ideal for me – I suffer from both depression and mountain biking. Looking forward to it!

cinnamon_girl

you are cg, in a "needs" way

You're bang out of order there Mr B 👿

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You're bang out of order there Mr B

as usual :o)

cinnamon_girl

You waiting on your usual slap then? 😉

KonaTC

SarahH,

Completed your survey and I agree with many of the comments, also would have been nice to have the option of adding some text to explain the rational for my answers, that aside best of luck and looking forward to seeing the results in a few months time

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking research – participants required!’ is closed to new replies.