Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountain biking near Norwich – anything worth a go?
  • armchairbiker

I'm going to be spending time in Norwich through work this summer and interested in seeing if it's worth taking the mountain bike.

Any recommended trails near Norwich – say within 30 mins drive – or something I can fit in on a drive back home on a Thursday night back to Brum.

badnewz
    Free Member

I lived in Norwich for three years, and I didn't see any mountains.
    I would fit slim tires and take in the Broads – some great routes the best of which make you use the boat crossing at Horning.

luked2
    Free Member

There's some surprisingly nice stuff up towards Cromer. Get an OS map and look for the bridleways and the contour lines.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thetford forest is about 40 mins away in the right direction (ish) for going back to Brum

tron
    Free Member

I think there's a bit of cheeky stuff around Ringland.

armchairbiker

Thetford could work for a quick blast

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I spent my formative years misbehaving on a mountain bike around Norwich…

As someone above said, look North, towards Cromer, find the woodlands, the contour lines and the footpaths and bridleways and enjoy whatever you can find (suggestion…Bacton Woods…EXPLORE!)

Ringland Hills (Near Ringland Village, near Taverham)… I can remember that place when it was all virgin woodland (happy memories!)…what has happened to it over the years is nothing short of outright vandalism and so it is no surprise that mountain bikers are now decidedly persona-non-grata. Give it a go if you like but don't be surprised if you experience 'hassle' from anyone out walking their dog etc. Oh yeah… dog…there's a dogging spot somewhere up there too!

Thetford gets more than it's fair share of coverage…a bit of local knowledge goes a long way in there.

Holt Country Park seems to be mostly ignored by mountain bikers for some reason but if you're of the 'map and compass and miles of pedaling' mentality then there's probably something there for you.

Near the city centre, Mousehold Heath used to be something of a playground for mountain bikers, it's been years since I was in there but it's probably worth a look!

Basically I think the advice I'd give is that in Norfolk you're not going to get amazing trails handed to you on a plate. What you need to do is go out and explore, conduct a recce, find a good bit of trail in one area and see if you can connect it to another bit of trail in another area…

Hope that the above has been helpful and that you enjoy your time in Norwich.

PS: Suggest you try the Cherry Beer in the Belgian Monk too!

allthegear
    Free Member

yes – the cherry beer in the Beligain Monk is fab.

Rachel

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Simply cycle to the Adam & Eve pub and drink away the hours in the oldest pub in the city ! ……

😆

FLV
    Free Member

I got fed up with hunting for decent trails.

Bring a road bike. I ride near norwich most days after work.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yeah, my thought was Mousehold…

MrGreedy

It's a bit more than 30 mins from Norwich, but Tunstall forest near Woodbridge has lots and lots of great singletrack, only downside is it's a bit difficult to find and string together without some local knowledge. TROG (the local club) have an evening group ride most weeks – have a look on the forum here and you'll be made welcome. TIMBER will no doubt do the same at Thetford.

schmiken

Thetford, Brandon, Santon Downham and Tunstall are all worth a look if maybe a touch further than 30 mins.

http://www.trogmtb.com
    http://www.timbermtb.org

MrGreedy

Beat you to it Mike 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

This lot are base in that area and do a fair amount of local riding. Admittedly, many of them do 5 hour round trips regularly to go ride somewhere decent, but they are a friendly bunch who do know most of the cheeky trails around there.

http://ificantrideit.myfastforum.org/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking near Norwich – anything worth a go?’ is closed to new replies.