Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mountain biking in/near Zurich
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’m travelling to Zurich on business, and since I’ll be spending the weekend there, I thought that I’d take my bike with me.

I can see that there are 2 well know trails in the centre (on Uetliberg), but are there any good ones close by that I could easily access by train?

Cheers!

daviek

I’ve been there in the distant past and there used to be a train that took you to the top of Uetliberg. Must be about 12 years ago now though.

didnt have a bike with me though so no idea if this is of any help to you

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Having looked at a map, I think I might try to go to Flumserberg, which is <1.5hrs away from Zurich centre by train.

It’s a small ski resort with a few different mountain bike trails.

eulach

When are you going and what sort of riding do you want?

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon and Sunday.

Was mainly looking for technical singletrack, preferably with a bit of uplift assistance, but not that fussy.

eulach

Flumserberg is a bike park and I don’t think it’s so technical- a few tables and berms. Zug is about the same distance and is more downhill orientated but there’s nothing unridable on a trail bike. You can take your bike on the bus.
    Lenzerheide isn’t that far if you have all day on Sunday and has everything. Chur is also reachable for a day and has good trails and uplift. Bikes aren’t allowed on the Uetliberg train anymore and it’s a hard slog up. Trains here.
    Edit – Links added

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Many thanks for the insight eulach!

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is an old thread with tips & ideas

jamie_bkc
    Free Member

Just got back from a week in Lenzerheide, 2 hours from Zurich airport. Tons of great singletrack out of Parpan that isn’t too snowy yet and the bike park at Lenzerheide. Also the enduro trail that runs right off the top of the 2nd Chur lift sits amongst some of the best strips of trail I’ve ridden.

white101

Uetliberg has a few trails down, my brother lives about 5 min walk from the station that gets you up there via the train, nice place.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thank you all for the suggestions!

eulach

How was it then?

coolbeanz
    Free Member

eulach – Member
    How was it then?

It was a blast thanks, albeit a very muddy one!

Ended up in Flumserberg on Sunday. The bike parky trails were fun for a while, but soon got a little samey. Luckily, I met a local rider on the chairlift (as you predicted) who felt the same way, so we ended up exploring the hiking trails together, where we found some awesome riding. The final trail into the valley turned out to be the highlight of the day, crammed full of wet rocky tech up top, with progressively more leaf-covered roots and loam further down – loved it.

Cleaning my bike in the hotel room afterwards, not so fun…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in/near Zurich’ is closed to new replies.