Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mountain Biking in Ronda
  • Autoelec
    Free Member

Morning all,

Anyone been cycling in Ronda, Spain. I’m off there for a month in May. Would be interested to hear of routes experiences?

Thanks

Autoelec

Marmoset
    Free Member

Not been riding around there but the mountains around there towards Grazelema were stunning and packed full of cyclo tourists when I was over there one September. I think you may need a guide to find your way through the private properties/farms around there though.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

get in touch with Alan at SierraCycling, they are based down on the beach in Fuengirola and have loads of trails that they use.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smiffy

I thought you were going to the South Wales Valleys!

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

i thought the same smiffy when i saw the caption!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Bikefax Southern Spain has some good local routes including Mijas.

Here is a route a few km south of Rhonda:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157616582300985/

There is another route that goes from there down to Marbella, also described in the Bikefax book.

The good thing about Rhonda is that when you get there you will be able to buy an Ordnance Survey style map of the region and this also has a large number of bike routes on it. As well as rocky singletrack there will also be plenty of big rides with brilliant views type riding.

jhw
    Free Member

I found Spanish maps not so good in the Alpujarras – though I was using a 1:50,000 admittedly

simonralli2
    Free Member

On the whole they are not that good, but there is a tourist map that is not too bad, but of course local knowledge will help 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Shame the MTB section here is full, The Ronda 101 is on my todo list.
    You shouldn’t have any problems just riding on the trails, land owners aren’t quite as arsey as in the UK, just be sensible. Close gates after you’ve gone through, don’t upset animals or damage crops, a cheery ¡Hola! always goes down well, too.

La Tienda Verde is a good resource for maps and guide books. Even though the maps aren’t OS standard, they’re still useable.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

The bike fax book is not really all that good for the Ronda area. The routes in that book would take hours to drive to from there.

Try the Trailrider Spain book, as it has a good trail in theGuadiaro Valleythat you can ride to from Ronda. The “freeride playground” that they mention by Zahara is private and out of bounds for MTBers. The route at Gaucin is wicked.

There are no maps in that book so also get hold of the Penibetica map for Grazalema park and the 1/50 for Cortes de la frontera (covers Gaucin).

hope this helps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking in Ronda’ is closed to new replies.