Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mountain biking in Australia, near Melbourne, Cairns or Sydney
  • gra

Going to these locations in August and looking to do some mountain biking while there. Have had a search on here and elsewhere but after any recommendations people might have. Looking for general trail riding- ups with fun downs but nothing too extreme as there with my wife. Scenery with good riding a plus. Bikes will need to be hired.

We’ll be spending most of the time near Melbourne so that will be the best option but would also consider Cairns (noticed Cairns mountain bike park/mountain bike tours) or perhaps Sydney too.

Cheers.

m0rk
    Free Member

Mt Buller ‘sort of’ near Melbourne would be excellent, if it wasn’t Ski season

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Summer/

corroded
    Free Member

No idea about Cairns (other than that will have the best weather…) but near Melbourne you’ve got Forrest, which is very user-friendly: well signposted loops, food, accommodation. I wouldn’t rule out doing the Warburton rail trail either, if your wife rides.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Cairns has the Smithfield XC trails and new DH course, just a short ride from Cairns itself.
    Very good trails, they have been built for the XC World Cup this year.

There is also Atherton a short drive away and they are great too, the most similar riding I found to British style trail centres.

Melbourne the most popular place is You Yangs, not ridden there though. Sydney, not much riding unless you get a local to show you some places. Manly Dam is the most riding spot. If you get a chance to ride in the Blue Mountains there is some good riding there and also fantastic views.

Of the 3 places, Cairns probably has the best riding around the city. Not sure what the weather is like then though, as its a tropical area.

Fat-boy-fat

Near Melbourne, you’ve got the You Yangs (about 45 minutes West), Lysterfield (about 45 minutes East), Forest (about 1.5 hours West) and the Wombat Trail (about 1.5 hours West). Stick any of these in Google and you’ll get a good idea of what’s on offer.

zippykona

Sydney has The Blue Mountains.
    I used to catch the train out and do the Oaks Fire Trail.
    The trail starts and ends near a train station and its downhill in between.
    Train uplift service!

gra

Excellent, thanks for all your help.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve still got a few good riding mates over there. Could try to arrange some guiding if you’re interested.

stevied
    Free Member

Oxford falls, Manly Dam to name a couple in Sydney.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in Australia, near Melbourne, Cairns or Sydney’ is closed to new replies.