Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mountain biking in and around Orgiva, Spain
  • bro1968
    Free Member

Staying just outside Orgiva on a family holiday from July 30th – August 13th. Anyone done any riding in the area? Can anyone recommend any companies for a days guiding?

singlespeedstu

http://www.ciclomontana.com/ are based near there.
    they might be able to help you.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ciclo Montana would be my first call too

Kahurangi

Also Switch-Backs (XC/AM/Enduro) based in Bubion for trails in the area if you want more uplifts 😀

carlos
    Free Member

Ciclo Montana would also be my first call 🙂

Carlos

carlos
    Free Member

And get whoever you go with to take you down here –

https://www.strava.com/segments/3570387

The Orgiva Switchbacks are fantastic, something like 46 switchbacks but one hell of a climb up on a quarry rode when its 30+ degrees and your running 1×10.

Still worth it though

Marin
    Free Member

Get hold of David Sierra Nevada cycling mtb. He lives in Orgiva. Done switchbacks route couple of times with him. Nice bloke will tailor rides to what you want.
    Hello Dave!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Lanjaron (spelling?) 70 is fantastic,70 switchbacks that will drop you into Lanjaron gasping!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ciclomontana is a bit more trail focused, from what I understand, Switchbacks are more DH focussed.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You understand worng – Same trails

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m well aware they use the same trails. I’ve ridden with Ciclo but Switchbacks promo material is all full facers and roost, whereas Ciclo has a more ‘trail’ ethic.

Maybe that’s just their advertising?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pretty much. Winch & plummet is the MO in the sierras, DH gnarcore on the coast.

pj11
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with both company’s , Marco at Ciclo Montana is more suited if you don’t mind climbing , Switchbacks is definitely a bit more hard core downhill wise. Ciclo suited me better as I’m more into XC riding. You can’t go wrong with either really.

Bolt

Not been with switchbacks but going to ciclo-montana again next week (6th time)!
    Something different every time.

Bolt

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Freeride Spain were based out of Lanjaron going back 11 years. Excellent trails. I recommend the trail back down from Valletta, the peak accessed from the ski village where Top Gear ran out of road. 2h + of decent, ending at Orgiva.

upsanddowns
    Free Member

Just got back from same area, had a brilliant day riding up to the snow line and back :)))
    I am a bit of an XC fairy and was riding solo so just stuck to the easy stuff but there looked like there was lots of fun to be had.

A guide to show the way and call for help in case of skill or bike failure is a must if doing anything interesting. If I was going back I would be getting in touch with Ciclomontana.

They pointed me the way to a new bike hire/repair place in Bubion (right in the middle of the MTB zone 10km ish from Orgiva) Alpujarrabikes 0034858857034 (no website!). Might be handy if you don’t fancy paying to fly your bike/shread a tyre/pringle a rim.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Have been to Orgiva twice now with my mate Alex of here and link below will give you an idea.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/andalucia-sierra-nevada-mtb-trip-warning-contains-many-pictures-of-blue-sky

We would go again and stay with David Issacs, not used the other recommendations so not able to compare.

RobHilton
    Free Member

bike hire/repair place in Bubion

Wat? Sleepiest village in the world…

Ciclo suited me better as I’m more into XC riding

If they’re the same trails then how? I’ve been at SBs with a Lycra-clad guy on an Epic – he **** ripped up & down 🙂

bro1968
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice. Seems a number of companies close up over August as they say it’s too damn hot. Has anyone been in that area in August?

BadlyWiredDog

No, because it’s really, really hot. Starts to get going in June, would be seriously warm later in the summer. Great area to go to in spring/autumn, can be good in winter, but can also be freezing cold.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice. Seems a number of companies close up over August as they say it’s too damn hot. Has anyone been in that area in August?

Nope, went in October, it was still hot and dry, 3l camelback and still gasping for a drink kinda dry.

If they’re the same trails then how?

Marketing, Ciclo attracts the kind of nutters who want to ride to the tops of the hills, SB are marketing a driver called Lucky and a couple of Vito’s to take the strain!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

double post

papamountain
    Free Member

So my brother and his Mrs own that new bike shop in Bubion. They are just opening up. If you are up there pop in for a chat and a tea. Brian and Lynn.
    He used to guide for switchbacks and has lived in Bubion/Capilleira for over ten years now.
    Switchbacks DH stuff is done in Malaga. Cx/trails around Bubion etc.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Marin – Member
    Get hold of David Sierra Nevada cycling mtb. He lives in Orgiva. Done switchbacks route couple of times with him. Nice bloke will tailor rides to what you want.
    Hello Dave!
    Hi Marin, it is David, bikingandalucia.com, thanks for the mention, we have a far better approach to the switchbacks now, new route! hope to show you at some point (you still have a deposit with me!)

akira

Yes had a good week out riding with David and eating tapas. Some lovely trails but a fair few hills to get up to enjoy the rewards.

RobHilton
    Free Member

papamountain – Member
    So my brother and his Mrs own that new bike shop in Bubion

Interesting! Brian’s a pretty cool guy – have ridden with him a few times @ SB’s. It’s been a while… might have to get back there some time.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in and around Orgiva, Spain’ is closed to new replies.