Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountain Biking from a Cruise Ship
  • Monster101

Raging, having to go a cruise this year, RCI from Southampton around a load of Spanish ports and Islands.

Wife threw the toys from the pram when I disappeared last year in Lake Garda for 3 days leaving the kids with her (thanks Michael, quackers on here)

Anyone managed to organise biking at any of the stops/ports before, would need bike hire and a 7 hour day trip?

lightning
    Free Member

We have been on three cruises, and all of them have had arranged group mountain bike trips.

If anybody can help you sort out a ride from the ship, it will be them. Not sure about bike hire, but again they will probably know.

Alternatively, why not go on the arranged trips? I had a great time on these, l actually won one trip in a bike balance competition on the ship.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m sure lots of people really feel for you, really having to go on a cruise.

bruneep

will you have enough time when in port? Did a cruise last yr and most were short days in port. Factor in what happens if you get a mechanical and you miss the boat?

Monster101

Thanks guys

lightning
    Free Member

On one of the group rides, we ended with a very long fire road type descent. The bikes were hardtails but fitted with hybrid tyres. The descent was twisty and great fun, and l have to say l used the rear brake a fair bit. “I was riding down fairly quickly and he just flew past” l heard one guy say to another about me.

The tyres must have been poor quality.

At the bottom l noticed that my rear tyre was worn right down to the canvas, in one place you could see the inner tube through the tyre material. There was a five mile road ride back to the ship and l didn’t fancy walking it.

The backup riders were carrying tubes but no tyres of course.

I let the tyre down a fair bit and took it easy….fortunately l made it back OK.

Mackem

Which Spanish ports and Islands?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I would rather publicly shit my pants than go on a cruise ship. You have my sympathies.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Id rather wear muppets used pants than go on a cruise.

satchm00
    Free Member

Just wear awkward speedos and some ray bans, you’ll never have to go on a cruise again.

lightning
    Free Member

I have to disagree.

I am not really a “cruise” person, but we have been on three. One in the Caribbean and two in the Med. One of these was an invite from friends.

We had a great time on all three, although they were “family” cruise ships (Ocean Village and Thomson) so not too posh!

And the places we visited were great. No real complaints. However we’ve not been since the friends one in 2006, we prefer to relax on various Greek islands or in Scotland.

martinhutch

I would rather publicly shit my pants than go on a cruise ship.

I thought the inevitable norovirus was part of the schedule these days? Mmmmm…contaminated buffet…

franksinatra

[video]http://youtu.be/a9AU2kMW9ZM[/video]

lucien

I really hope no one was seriously injured on that ship, but the way the person “brains” that pillar made me laugh out load

franksinatra

Same, why do we laugh at stuff that really can’t be funny for the people involved?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking from a Cruise Ship’ is closed to new replies.