• This topic has 74 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Mountain Bikers on Road bikes.
  • IanW
    Free Member

It’s all cycling and I don’t want to start a tribe war but please if you buy a road bike can you by some bibs, proper shoes and a road jersey.

There’s a bloke out here bought a De Rosa and killing it with Baggies.

thejesmonddingo

And your problem is?

thejesmonddingo

Or is he just faster/richer than you?

Northwind

Mine had flat pedals.

jam-bo

Maybe he’s doing it to wind you up.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I used to ride my roadie in baggies just to annoy people like you 😉

mcnultycop

Is it not just a roadie in baggies?

AD

I have cross bars on my road bike, haven’t slammed the stem and use mountain bike pedals (don’t wear baggies though – too flappy). In my defence it is an Ellsworth so a ‘mountain bike’ company built it. Is this ok with you?
    Perhaps when you see him again you could give him a copy of the rules. I’m sure he’ll graciously accept any advice you give him.

tubthumped
    Free Member

I ride the roadie/cyclocross in baggy TLD and baggy shorts with mud covered shoes with studs in on egg beaters.

It annoys the pro-kit w@nkers up Cragg vale when I pass them.

tenfoot

Have a road bike in the garage that gets ridden, maybe, twice a year.

SPD pedals – check
    SPD shoes – check
    Peaked helmet – check
    Baggy shorts – check

No way I’m buying roadie specific gear for 2 rides a year. No doubt I get looked down upon by the cognoscenti, but do I care?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I will never wear bib shorts.

I will buy a road bike.

I will ride in some posh tapered bottoms made of merino and a yet to be decided fabric.

I will probably be faster than you , what with my singlespeed legs. 😛

andytherocketeer

SPD pedals – check
    SPD shoes – check
    Peaked helmet – check
    Baggy shorts – check

Mini Camelbak (Lobo iirc) – check
    Frame mounted pump – check

bib shorts look like hassle. need to get undressed for a road/trail side slash

nealglover
    Free Member

but please if you buy a road bike can you by some bibs,

No.

proper shoes

No.

and a road jersey.

No.

I will however promise to try really hard to care what you think, and eventually fail.

Hope that’s ok 😉

DezB
    Free Member

please if you buy a road bike can you by some bibs, proper shoes and a road jersey.

Bloody hell, i hope this is a troll and pillocks who think like this don’t really exist.

duntstick
    Free Member

The dissuader 😆

Pete-B
    Free Member

Never mind – at least you know he’s not a proper roadie from way off so no last moment decision whether or not to acknowledge him.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Some people need to get over themselves.

On my road bike I use mtb shoes and spd “touring” pedals, however, I will normally wear lycra and a road helmet. 99% of other road cyclists acknowledge me when I greet them.

However, on a recent mini light tour of Norfolk, I wore baggies over my lycra and a peaked helmet. More practicable, especially the extra pockets. Got totally blanked by the majority of “roadies” I greeted!

IanW
    Free Member

Ok calm down you lot, it’s not a personal affront just a suggestion. If your going to buy a beautiful racing bike why sit on it with Khaki baggies, peaked helmet, the seat too low and camelback.

It’s just aesthetically jarring, have a bit of style please.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Don’t hate, just laugh.

martinhutch

It’s not that beautiful. It’s only a road bike. 🙂

eruptron
    Free Member

I ride my Cyclocross bike
    with my Baggies
    With my eggbeaters
    With my winter shimano mw80 boots
    I also say hello to other cyclists

My opinion is if your wearing lycra then put some shorts on I have no desire to see any cameltoe or lumpage it REALLY isn’t a pleasant look.
    And if you really have to wear lycra please only ever wear black.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just for you, me on me road bike….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aAzNPm]Evans sportive[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

& me on me MTB….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nD6W8R]Aug 2011 008[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Whooosh! See that? It was that flying **** I don’t give about what I look like.

eruptron
    Free Member

why sit on it with Khaki baggies

So you can see the bike drrrrrrrr 😀

fin25
    Free Member

Forgive me for sounding like a crazy anarchist, but can’t people wear whatever they feel comfortable in?
    Seriously, who gives a sh**t?

nickc

I don’t mind what folk wear particularly, but roadie pedals are more comfy than mtb clips, and lycra’s more comfy than mtb shorts.

IME

garage-dweller

proper shoes

Surely punched brogues would look stupid on a road bike too?

tomhoward

I ride with the right kit for the job at hand.

If others don’t, that’s their issue.

beej

I’m a full on euro-style roadie on my road bikes, but lycra seems odd on my Kona Paddy Wagon (steel, singlespeed, bullhorn bars). Commuting is fine – I wear my skinny jeans – but what is acceptable when I’m doing a longer ride on it?

I reckon 3/4 baggies and SPD sandals.

nealglover
    Free Member

If your going to buy a beautiful racing bike why sit on it with Khaki baggies, peaked helmet, the seat too low and camelback.

So you are now slipping in extra bits that actually make a difference, to bolster your piss weak argument about clothing preferences that don’t ?

IanW
    Free Member

Neal., you sound a little on edge this evening, there no hate, I won’t be losing sleep over it and you can wear what you want. I could add more points but there’s no big plan I just saw someone on a great looking road bike with all the mountain bike gear, it look odd.

If I could post a picture I bet most would agree.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Admittedly I did find out the other day why you don’t wear a peak on your helmet, neck still hurts. But why I can’t where a camelbak I don’t know.

svalgis
    Free Member

It’s just aesthetically jarring, have a bit of style please.

The point is that the gentleman in question, and apparently many others with him, doesn’t feel obliged to dress up for you. Tough tits.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I have a road bike, a Triban 3. I wear baggies, Evoc pack, peaked helmet and spds. When I’m on it (not that often as it’s pretty dull riding on road tbh), I say hi to everyone on a bike I pass, never once has a ‘roadie’ said hi back. Now I know why.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

It’s all cycling and I don’t want to start a tribe war but please if you buy a road bike can you by some bibs, proper shoes and a road jersey.

There’s a bloke out here bought a De Rosa and killing it with Baggies.

Brown
    Free Member

I just saw someone on a great looking road bike with all the mountain bike gear, it look odd

My road bike’s shit. Can I wear baggies?

JoB
    Free Member

in a bizarrely related event i saw a guy riding a Spec. Demo 8 on the trails the other day, full Lance Armstrong US Postal kit, silver roadie slippers, no peak on his helmet but one of those little caps underneath instead, he’d even put some tools and an inner tube in his rear pockets without feeling the need to stuff everything he owned in a large rucksack

i wished him good day without comment as there aren’t any rules as to what you can and can’t wear on a mountainbike and he was riding in whatever he felt comfortable

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal., you sound a little on edge this evening,

I’m fine thanks, sat in the sun enjoying myself an early evening beer before heading out.

Happy as Larry as it goes.

Are you trying to disagree with my points by pretending I’m “on edge” ?

there no hate, I won’t be losing sleep over it and you can wear what you want.

Just trolling then ?

Fair enough, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Pete-B
    Free Member

I don’t care what people wear when on nice road bikes. So long as they don’t overtake me – then they have to look the bizz.
    Some old geezer with trouser clips & a flat cap once overtook me on a flat bar, chain guard, Sturmey Archer 3 sp jobbie – looked like he was on his way home from the allotment – were the Samaritans ever busy that night!

IanW
    Free Member

Genuinely didn’t mean to push so many buttons, have great time riding your bikes.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I’m proper mixed up

on my road bike I have eggbeaters (like my MTB)
    on my road bike I wear North Wave MTB shoes
    on my road bike I wear a Cannondale MTB top

on my MTB I wear bib shorts
    on my MTB I wear a Sky world champions jersey

Do I care? do I ****!!!!!!!

C

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bikers on Road bikes.’ is closed to new replies.