Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Mountain Bikers don't buy Science In Sport Products – (True or False)?
  • romster
    Free Member

Interesting comment i heard recently….is it True or False?

13thfloormonk

I used to buy Rego all the time, until a mate in the army told me that chocolate milk shake was just as good.

Can't be bothered with energy drinks when lucozade sport seems to do the job just as well!

Northwind

I buy the gels when they're on sale at tesco. And the powders are convenient if you're going away a trip, rather than carrying bottles and bottles of yazoo. I'm quite partial to the lime energy drink but I've been buying the lucozade body fuel stuff instead lately because it can be got so cheap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

False.

I use GO and the psp22 stuff.

druidh
    Free Member

Used to – but found it far too sugary. Much prefer Torq and Honey Stinger

samuri
    Free Member

Is that that shite you drink that makes you feel sick? Nah, I don't buy it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

SIS gives me upset tummy. Torq doesn't for some reason.

binners

Buy that crap? Vimto in the camelback. Bacon butty before i set off

Kevevs
    Free Member

true. pub stops FTw!

I usually use Torq, but sometimes I have shared Mrs Militant's SIS drink.
    Torq's a bit bland, SIS is a bit sickly. I like bland. I guess I could always mix a bit of squash in if I wanted to.

I also drank a fair bit of Emerge on Set2Rise. It's the same as Red Bull, except that it's 66p for a litre bottle, not £1.15 for a 250ml can. Now that stuff is sickly, but it kept me awake overnight

jonb
    Free Member

False, I prefer it but will normally just buy what's on offer. As less mountain bikers race as a percentage less would have use for it. I couldn't drink it on every ride and I wouldn't need to so just save it for very long rides where fueling becomes more important and racing. Use it more consistently on my road bike as I find it easier to drink than eat when riding in a chaingang.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

PSP22 works for me. Stops me bonking, and that can only be a good thing

coatesy
    Free Member

Our display stand needs constant replenishing, so unless it's being nicked, mountain bikers are definitely buying the stuff.I'll use PSP on longer rides,and GO to prevent cramp if i've had a sweaty ride.

uplink
    Free Member

I've been trying to figure out what PSP2 has that Go doesn't

As far as I can tell they're both energy drinks but Go has electrolytes in it, why bother with PSP2 then?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I use, SIS, Torq and whoever makes mule bars, depends what mood I'm in at the time, and what flavours are in stock 😛

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I use the gels & Rego, but stopped using PSP & electolite one(forget the name) as started doing really funny things to my insides when on long rides, Mayhem etc. stopped taking it & went back to just water to drink & problem solved-stomach back to normal in two laps

juan
    Free Member

True I only use natural products. Bread, butter, dried, meat, cheese, fruits.

Apparently I should try to get some wine as well that is the only way I can become good at riding 😀

stumpy01

I stopped using psp as it was too sweet & gave me an upset tummy. I switched to torq & find it loads better.

Still use their SIS energy gels – the purple one is quite pleasant.

Surfr
    Free Member

PSP22 and Go here on most rides. Can't say I've had any stomach problems either luckily.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

[/quote]I've been trying to figure out what PSP2 has that Go doesn't
    As far as I can tell they're both energy drinks but Go has electrolytes in it, why bother with PSP2 then?

PSP22 has a lot more carbs per ml than GO, GO is designed as an electrolyte drink than you use alongside gels for extra carb intake. GO alone doesn't provide a lot of energy.

bassspine
    Free Member

uplink – Member

I've been trying to figure out what PSP2 has that Go doesn't

oddly, I came to the exact opposite conclusion, and only use PSP 🙂

I see blazingsaddles was a few seconds ahead of me there – shame your / is on the wrong end 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I've never used any energy stuff for riding. Perhaps I should, maybe it explains why I'm so slow and run out of steam really easily!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I use them:

– PSP drink on long hard rides & races at night and when it's cold
    – GO drink when it's sunny
    – GO Gels and the odd bar added to the above depending on how hard I'm trying as there's a LOT of me to fuel
    – REGO after a race or a massive ride as I cycle to work everyday and like frsh legs!

In fact I use SIS products almost exclusively and, on long rides >12hrs, where you're asking your stomach to process a lot of food without a break and it get's quite upset about it, I have really struggled with nausea in the past.

I've found the SIS range pretty effective, and I feel I've been riding stronger since switching to the SIS products (and thinking a bit about which to use and when)

That said however, away from the race track, you'll always find a pork pie and a malt loaf in my backpack 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I use Rego after mountain bike rides and GO on road rides.

flap_jack
    Free Member

SIS stuff is old technology. Torq are up with the more recent research. However, I've found that Maximuscle Cyclone protein bars give me a real kick – think it's the whack of creatine that does it.

robgarrioch

Used PSP for years (orange flav); tried Torq powder about 2 months ago for a few weeks for it's 'natural' leanings, & while it's performance seems about the same, the taste (orange, again) was too bitter for my palate. Probably need to try some other flavours.

Now, mountain-berry Clif Shot-Blox, mmmMMMMmmmm!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I use maxim active hydration tablets in my water if i am going on a 4+ hour xc ride.Sometimes use maxim energy bars(they are lovely,taste like ordinary food).

Use to use SIS but they are just to sweet and made my stomach feel rough.

aP
    Free Member

Used to use psp years ago but always found it too sickly, ithas aspartame, and hated having to chip the strange shellac off frames every ride.
    Started using torq about 5 or 6 years ago and it's much, much better in terms of stomach comfort and being able to add your own flavour. The gels and bars even taste nice when riding which a big plus.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

SIS can't be that bad, Contador just switched and surely, if any cyclist on the planet can, he must be someone who can choose exactly whatever he uses. Just because it's "old technology" doesn't make it worse, let alone ineffective. Wheels have been made round for quite a while now 😉

Protein bars as a recommendation for energy producrs? Really, Can you explain please flap_jack? Genuine question as I've not done too much research on the subject, but that's the first time I've heard that. Cheers.

To qualify the Contador comment, I can't believe that road and MTB require different energy products, as it's all just cadence and heart rate using very very similar muscles. It may just all be a marketing thing as Torq seem to target the mtb scene whereas maybe other brands go for the road/sportive market?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

However, I've found that Maximuscle Cyclone protein bars give me a real kick – think it's the whack of creatine that does it.

You might want to read up on nutrition also creatine in a bar will do bugger all IMO, you have to load with creatine to benefit from it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Tried it briefly, made me need to pee a lot.

Mostly use Torq drinks and gels, like cliff bars too. The Maxim drink seemsto work as well.
    Not tried Accelerade yet but they are popping up at races now, might give it a try.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Having read the ingredients and having a fair amount of idea of the science I don't bother at all.

I can't remember exactly now but one of the drinks is just maltodextrin ( refined suger) and flavouring, one is maltodextrin and salts. Fruit juice and water mix with a pinch of salt is as good

As for the recovery drinks – based on very shaky science and again easily replicated with normal foodstuffs anyway.

So – If you want to buy expensive flavoured and salted sugar do so – however there really is no need at all apart from for convenience and I would much rather have natural foodstuffs.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I used to buy Rego all the time, until a mate in the army told me that chocolate milk shake was just as good.

Can't be bothered with energy drinks when lucozade sport seems to do the job just as well!

Thats two bad statement in one post, well done. Sorry just found it funny thats all.
    1. Your buddy in the army is wrong, an off the shelf chocolate milk is not as good as an energy supplement becuase almost everything in it is slowly digested. What you want is fast digesting carbs, slats etc and protein if you can get it in there.
    2. Lucozade sport is an energy supplemenmt and you buy it in tubs and mix it yourself. So you can be bothered with energy supplements. You can if you wish buy the pre-made stuff in bottle but thats just what it is pre-made for you. It is a powder.

However, I've found that Maximuscle Cyclone protein bars give me a real kick – think it's the whack of creatine that does it.

You might want to read up on nutrition also creatine in a bar will do bugger all IMO, you have to load with creatine to benefit from it.[/quote]

Cyclone is an expensive and out of date product these days. Use something better for weightlifting. Howveer cyclone is an all in one supplement that conatins fast and slow absorbing carbs, amino acids and proteins.
    To clarify creatine monohydrate does need stacking and will do nothing during a bike ride, taking it in general however will. If you take creatine as a dietary supplement and have stacked it then including it in your riding food as a way to take the 5grams you need a day will help. you could take it any time of the day though.
    However creatine Ethyl ester does not need stacking and nor do some other forms of creatine. Creatine is strength and endurance supplement, only monohydrate has been proved to work by the way.

Waderider
    Free Member

I carry water and food. If passing shops though, I'll often buy and down a chocolate milk shake or a sports drink.

The powdered stuff is overpriced. A weekend warrior using it is the mountain biking equivalent of putting a spoiler on a 1 litre Corsa. In theory it should help, but in reality you weren't good enough to start off with.

Having said that, I have used the stuff when racing, in the dim past.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

need stacking

loading not stacking, stacking is quite different.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The powdered stuff is overpriced. A weekend warrior using it is the mountain biking equivalent of putting a spoiler on a 1 litre Corsa. In theory it should help, but in reality you weren't good enough to start off with.

Powdered stuff works out cheaper, and energy drinks will help everyone before during and after excerise (unless your trying to loose weight) unlike a spoiler on any car, becuase aerodynamically you need to be doing over the speed limit for them to work.

Waderider
    Free Member

Dirtynap, your first mistake was you have taken my post seriously and regarded it as response worthy. Your second mistake is that the last bit of your post is far too serious 😆

romster
    Free Member

Been a good thread this, some very interesting feedback from you all – cheers.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

PSP – Carbohydrate 99g/100g & Go – Carbohydrate 95g/100g

So why would you use both?

I use Torq stuff instead as its much less sugary.

Dirtynap – I would suggest it is you that needs to go away and have a read up on this stuff. Perhaps give yourself a shake to wake yourself up too.

andrewh
    Free Member

SIS can't be that bad, Contador just switched and surely, if any cyclist on the planet can, he must be someone who can choose exactly whatever he uses

I won't name names but one SIS team rider a couple of years ago had another manufacturer's products in SIS containers…
    Probably not that uncommon, no-one would ever know and drinks are very personal preference.

Also, has no-one mentioned the thing with SIS sponsering events and banning other manufacturers from taking part?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bikers don't buy Science In Sport Products – (True or False)?’ is closed to new replies.