Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Mountain biker relations with walkers, horses, dogs etc
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Do you have to post a link to your tinpot website in every post you make? That’s the second time I’ve clicked it thinking it might be relevant to the thread, only to discover ‘oh no, it’s just some shameless self-promotion.’

muddyground
    Free Member

Fair point Superficial, and comments noted – my misunderstanding of the little boxes above the comments box itself. It did seem a bit boring and time consuming having to fill it in every time I put up a post.

muddyground
    Free Member

Also why exclude mountain bikers from the OP? There are some right grumps out there who seem to be out for reasons other than enjoyment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Superficial
    Free Member

Perhaps my comments earlier were a little harsh. Apologies. But thanks for removing the links anyhow.

muddyground
    Free Member

Hi Superficial – no worries; you were correct so no offense taken. The linkage was inappropriate and I accept that. “Tinpot” was a choice word to get past the censors though – like it 😆 I’m gradually getting to grips with the forum rules though.

The point was raised earlier that the further away from civilisation you get, then the more accommodating and friendly are the encounters. Tend to agree, but also the weather plays a big part. The better it is, the more people are likely to stray from the comfort zones of shopping malls and into the countryside, be they walkers, cyclists or horse riders. There then seems to be some inverse law that states that such people will behave in a negative way to other trail users. [Or is this just Surrey where if it is nice a gazillion people head to the hills?]

And how many of us here act the same? You drive 300 miles to some Welsh trail centre and then find the car park full of other bloomin’ cyclists. How inconsiderate!

Superficial
    Free Member

To be honest again it seems the opposite in Sheffield. If I ride near Sheffield (mostly footpaths) then the dog walkers / families / casual walkers are quite happy to share the paths. Whereas the aforementioned militant ramblers seem to dwell in the peak itself, further from civilisation.

Having said that, 95% of walkers I meet in the peak are perfectly nice, and most will stop for a chat if I’m waiting at a gate etc. But there’s a select few that enjoy their imagined high moral ground and are really very vocal about it.

germolene
    Free Member

we are all different, with different ideas about walking, biking and riding horses. the very least we can all do is smile and say hi. This alone can help smooth the traisl for all to enjoy

mrdestructo

I remember the first time I took my lad out riding in the country. Having just taught him we ride on the left and pass people down the right, we’re out on a Sustrans route (they seem to be all around where I live) and two runners were ahead, running side by side, blocking the route, until they finally moved to the right upon hearing our freehubs clicking away. My son was confused and holding back until I loudly asked them to move to the left, adding “please” naturally, pointing out that I had just been teaching my lad roadcraft and if we’re to live in a sociable world then it helps if we teach our young the nice ways to interact with others. The guys acted like complete **** towards me and refused to move over, until one of them saw what I had bungied to my bike and literally fell off the route yelling, “HE’S GOT A BOW!!!” like I was going to shoot him. (It wasn’t strung, for transportation, duh!) Still, maybe they’ll be nicer to those they share the routes with in future.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’d love to carry my bow on my bike, but a medieval English warbow plus yardshaft arrows are a bit cumbersome!
    Still, would love to ride past a bunch of sourfaced rambler types (the ones who deliberately block the trail) and then stand downtrail of them as i string the bow and set an arrow to the cord… 😆

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever really had a problem, mostly ride in the Dales. I like hillwalking as well and have a dog, and if I see bikers I’ll usually get my dog on the lead if I have time, so he doesn’t get in anyone’s way and cause an accident. He’s not so bright, bless him.

A bell helps to warn people particularly if you’re riding on a towpath or narrow path used by walkers.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biker relations with walkers, horses, dogs etc’ is closed to new replies.