Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mountain bike windproof
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Can someone please recommend me a windproof? There seem to be lots of tight fitting road ones around, but am after a mtb one ideally.

The key for me is to get a breathable one and thats why id probably avoid anything waterproof. I like the look of the fox ones but they seem to get bad reviews due to not being very breathable.

I just ordered a race face Nano from CRC but am sending it back tomorrow as its about as thick as cling film! Highly breathable but you may as well wear a t shirt!

So hence am a bit stuck and am hoping someone can recommend an alternative

Thank you

iainc

Endura Windchill is great, but only if temp under 10 deg or so

hambl90
    Free Member

Recently bought a trespass soft shell as I was fed up with various boil in the bag waterproof jackets and I’m very pleased I did. Wore it at bike park Wales in recent cold wet weather with only a short sleeve top underneath and it was a big improvement on previous jackets and it also did a good job keeping the rain out .

Dango
    Free Member

I have a gore phantom 2 soft jacket and an intrepid gilet http://www.intrepidapparel.co.uk/pioneer-gilet both are wind proof and work well

jezzep

Hiya,

Being a total cheapskate I’m using an aldi one…;) I’m actually impressed with it I have gore and altura stuff not made as well, or as well thought out. I can’t have been the only one that thought they are good they sold out rapidly after I got mine….

JeZ

jambalaya
    Free Member

If it’s only windproof you are looking for you can use a gilet, that’s what I do. I don’t find I need windproofing on the arms as I’m generally wearing long sleeved base layer and a shirt in those sort of conditions

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Gore phantom 2.0 – works remarkably well. I’m a cheapskate but I think Gore jkts are worth the extra money..its not too tight but it is close fitting – however I think that’s one reason why it works so well.

matt_outandabout

I have had various Montane and before that Pertex fabric windproofs over the years.

The idea of a light layer to cut out wind is without the insulation – you add or remove layers below. Most windproofs are uber thin feeling like the Nano you returned.

My favourite jacket ever- Montane Dyno with Pertex Equilibrium – mega breathable, slightly thicker feel than ‘normal’ Pertex, but not properly windproof. The pay off is massive breathability.

I also had a Montane Krypton – properly windproof, slight lining, so great walking and cold days pedaling, but waay to warm on a bike normally.

Don’t be put off by thin fabric – modern branded nylon is rather tougher than it feels – both the Montanes above did a couple of years of almost daily wear as an outdoor instructor before I wore through them. I also have a Patagonia synthetic fill jacket that has same thin pertex on, and it is 4 years in and just wearing through hem and a few holes just taped up / wearing in at rucsack spots etc.

I am busy saving for a cheap Pertex smock at the moment…

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. That really helps. If it was as simple as just buying the one you like the look of then I probably would have got one of the Fox ones. But as mentioned I’m worried about the breathability having bought a Polaris windproof last year that just turns you into a sweaty mess. Just don’t want to make that mistake twice.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve got an Aldi one from a few years ago, it’s alright and works well, but it is a bit ugly. I much prefer a light wind proof gillet as I find it easier to regulate my body temperature on the climbs

benp1

Howes dyfi is my main MTB windproof

iainc

Howies is a good call, I have one that lives in my backpack all summer, unless it’s raining and then gets replaced by a waterproof shell. Come this time of yr it goes away and Windchill goes on.

scaled
    Free Member

Gilet here until its properly below freezing. Scott one from start cycles @20 quid. It’s in its 3rd winter now.

I’ve got one if their winter jackets and its got to be -5 before I don’t melt in it

dingabell
    Free Member

I would be lost without my Surface Snugflex hoodie.
    So warm and windproof its amazing.
    Looks rather cool too.

Scapegoat

I wear a Paramo Fuera smock. Single skin, very breathable, coupled with a wicking base layer and regularly treated with DWR, does me fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike windproof’ is closed to new replies.